Astell&Kern AK380
Aug 21, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #6,244 of 9,040
Ignore however you like, but I find that as the copper corrodes on the AK380, the sound is clearly warmer - just like the age of the copper. It may be actual burn in of the AK380Cu but I find that every time I notice a visible difference in the copper, the sound just gets better. The best balance is achieved when the unit is wiped clean so that it is under an even color tone, but slightly tarnished. Without a case that means a period of approximately two months when it sounds best. Sublime. Simply sublime. After that period it seems the soundstage is not as clear as before and a bit too warm to my liking, so I decided to wipe it with tabasco. With 1.25 firmware and the correct color state, the AK380Cu is almost comparable to Mojo in accuracy and tonality - but it clearly wins over the Mojo in the soundstage department.

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #6,246 of 9,040
I never believe that it will garner much belief here, but if you keep an open mind and try to hear it for yourself, you may be pleasantly surprised. After all, spending $4K on a DAP is pretty insane already, therefore I believe everyone here is in the course of pursuit of the best sound possible out of a DAP. Removing the case and hearing how it sounds as it develops the tarnish doesn't cost $4K. You can try that for free.

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #6,247 of 9,040
This reminds me once of a hi fi reviewer who said that the felt mat on a turntable sounded better one way than the other. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #6,248 of 9,040
  This reminds me once of a hi fi reviewer who said that the felt mat on a turntable sounded better one way than the other. 
rolleyes.gif

The same with the mat of the Linn LP12. One way sounded better than the other. Yeah, those were the days....

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #6,250 of 9,040
  Ignore however you like, but I find that as the copper corrodes on the AK380, the sound is clearly warmer - just like the age of the copper. It may be actual burn in of the AK380Cu but I find that every time I notice a visible difference in the copper, the sound just gets better. The best balance is achieved when the unit is wiped clean so that it is under an even color tone, but slightly tarnished. Without a case that means a period of approximately two months when it sounds best. Sublime. Simply sublime. After that period it seems the soundstage is not as clear as before and a bit too warm to my liking, so I decided to wipe it with tabasco. With 1.25 firmware and the correct color state, the AK380Cu is almost comparable to Mojo in accuracy and tonality - but it clearly wins over the Mojo in the soundstage department.

so it behaves like a hardware EQ?! 
If I want more bass I simply clean everything except the lower part of the unit?

man, you're killing me...

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #6,252 of 9,040
Guys, if you don't believe, block the member and move on. I really don't wanna stop deleting and locking members out of the thread. Consider any more mockery posts going forward to be at risk of deletion and warning or getting locked out.

Edit: posts from members that have tried and heard nothing and worded objectively and politely are acceptable. Similarly posts from members that have tried and agree, and worded objectively and politely are also acceptable. Beyond that, they're subject to moderation.

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #6,253 of 9,040
mmm.....yeah.....let's move on to discussing the AK 380/cu along the plane of something less Martian. Personally, I don't know what to think of this new theory but it is his theory and based on how he hear things. Live and let live.....

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #6,255 of 9,040

I bought the copper version because it looks so damn good!!!! Does it sound better than the Aluminum version (which I also own ?????) Probably not, but any audiophile knows it's not about the science . . . it's what about you believe!!!!! And how much money you can piss away!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back