Astell&Kern AK380
Apr 1, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #4,337 of 9,040
Anyone knows what the screen of the AK380 is made of and whether it's scratch proof (Corning Gorilla Glass)? After my 380 migrated to a new housing my unit now has a new screen and no screen protector on it. Neither my shop nor the distributor have extras since they only come with new units inside sealed boxes, they told me to go to any shop that sells screen protectors and have them measure and cut it into the parallelogram shape matching the 380 screen. I have not done so so far, but by feeling the texture of the glass it does seem like the modern, 'gorilla glass', unscratchable variety.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #4,338 of 9,040
So iRiver's "promise" came in the form of a picture!? Could someone please correct me if I'm confused as it sounds this is what folks are saying?

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #4,339 of 9,040
mmm......upon checking Corning Gorilla Glass website, iRiver/A&K is not on the product list. I'm guessing that it is something similar. Get the third party screen protector on as a precaution. Besides, since A&K packs the AKs with screen protector tells us something, right?

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #4,341 of 9,040
So iRiver's "promise" came in the form of a picture!? Could someone please correct me if I'm confused as it sounds this is what folks are saying?

Not really.  

Read this article from ... may 2014 where it is said "Qobuz and Astell & Kern have announced a new partnership that will see a dedicated Qobuz app launch on A&K audio players to deliver direct, high-res audio downloads... "

And then this article from february 2015 about the AK500n where it is said " a Tidal lossless streaming app is apparently “in the works”.

And then, later in 2015, A&K on their Facebook page replied to me: "Streaming will be implemented on all our WiFi enabled players"

So this streaming is an ongoing promisse from A&K, but so far, no TIDAL or QOBUZ on either the AK380 or AK500n....

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #4,343 of 9,040
The Qobuz announcement seems limited to downloads. That is not streaming. The download ability has already been implemented.

As I said:

then this article from february 2015 about the AK500n where it is said " [COLOR=FF00AA][COLOR=FF00AA]a Tidal lossless streaming app is apparently “in the works”.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

And then, later in 2015, A&K on their Facebook page replied to me: "Streaming will be implemented on all our WiFi enabled players"

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #4,344 of 9,040

Could they have chosen a more misleading picture? A picture of an AK240 showing the one thing it doesn't do?? Lol. Really the worst choice of a picture...

However, if you read my original post, I never said they promised, I asked about it. I honestly couldn't remember, vaguely I thought there was mention of it...I'd never trust just a picture of something. Regardless, that photo implies that it has streaming. Very mislead for a new customer.

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #4,345 of 9,040
Could they have chosen a more misleading picture? A picture of an AK240 showing the one thing it doesn't do?? Lol. Really the worst choice of a picture...

However, if you read my original post, I never said they promised, I asked about it. I honestly couldn't remember, vaguely I thought there was mention of it...I'd never trust just a picture of something. Regardless, that photo implies that it has streaming. Very mislead for a new customer.

watch out bro here :) u know what i mean, its not the basshead thread :wink:

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #4,347 of 9,040
Apr 1, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #4,348 of 9,040
  Anyone knows what the screen of the AK380 is made of and whether it's scratch proof (Corning Gorilla Glass)? After my 380 migrated to a new housing my unit now has a new screen and no screen protector on it. Neither my shop nor the distributor have extras since they only come with new units inside sealed boxes, they told me to go to any shop that sells screen protectors and have them measure and cut it into the parallelogram shape matching the 380 screen. I have not done so so far, but by feeling the texture of the glass it does seem like the modern, 'gorilla glass', unscratchable variety.

The original packaging came with 3 screen protectors, have you used them all?

I have a spare if you require. Let me know?

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #4,349 of 9,040
Streaming lossless services from Tidal or Quboz has never interested me. 

At home I can stream off my NAS where I have about 16Tb and to DSD, and out and about I have exactly the music I want to listen to in my unit and my combined storage of 456gig is practically filled. 

I buy lots of physical music and rip or buy online for more esoteric tittles in Hi Rez and DSD.................and spend a few hours a week changing music on my player to keep it current or updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back