Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 30, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #3,287 of 9,041
Just noticed my Cu's metal touch is extremely insensitive 
blink.gif

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #3,288 of 9,041
can i ask do u listen to the adel u12 with ak380 amp, or without the amp, and is the stock cable of u12 not good enough?

did you compare it to the layla with ak380 and which is better

at what volume do u listen to with the adel u12

Notes from my listening session based on what i hear and is my opinion.
Ak380 + amp
Single ended stock cables -- no balanced.
Spinfit tips for both
Fiio headphone switcher -- so no need to plug in n out.
Ak Cystal Cable mini to mini -- most transparent i have.

Highs
Layla--extends higher and may be sibilant in some recordings.
U12--extends higher than oher iems I have but not enough to layla levels. More forgiving.

Mids
Layla seems thinner than u12 on some recordings.
U12 full and lusher mids

Bass
Layla extends lower with a tighter and clearer bass
U12 bass is fuller but may be interpreted as a bit loose in clarity

My own conclusions:
While i recognize that layla micro details is better, u12 isn't very far behind.
U12 is more forgiving and more fun. And i use this more often as it's more fun and easier to listen to for hours.
Layla will weed out bad recordings and may be sibilant in some. Which is why i use the layla more often than not when i'm buying new gear. However this isn't apparent in my earlier listen with Hifiman HM901S w/ discrete/musical card.
Layla needs to be deeply inserted, otherwise, will be more sibilant. (I have to admit i'm a bit sensitive to highs. I think i'm one of the few who hears the hugo as being bright, and favors the mojo, and tt more.)
Soundstage belongs to layla, this is very apparent.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Other relevant info... I love jvc fx-1100/1200, 1964 v8. HD800 and HE-1000. So my preference leans on the dark side i guess.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #3,289 of 9,041
Notes from my listening session based on what i hear and is my opinion.
Ak380 + amp
Single ended stock cables -- no balanced.
Spinfit tips for both
Fiio headphone switcher -- so no need to plug in n out.
Ak Cystal Cable mini to mini -- most transparent i have.

Highs
Layla--extends higher and may be sibilant in some recordings.
U12--extends higher than oher iems I have but not enough to layla levels. More forgiving.

Mids
Layla seems thinner than u12 on some recordings.
U12 full and lusher mids

Bass
Layla extends lower with a tighter and clearer bass
U12 bass is fuller but may be interpreted as a bit loose in clarity

My own conclusions:
While i recognize that layla micro details is better, u12 isn't very far behind.
U12 is more forgiving and more fun. And i use this more often as it's more fun and easier to listen to for hours.
Layla will weed out bad recordings and may be sibilant in some. Which is why i use the layla more often than not when i'm buying new gear. However this isn't apparent in my earlier listen with Hifiman HM901S w/ discrete/musical card.
Layla needs to be deeply inserted, otherwise, will be more sibilant. (I have to admit i'm a bit sensitive to highs. I think i'm one of the few who hears the hugo as being bright, and favors the mojo, and tt more.)
Soundstage belongs to layla, this is very apparent.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Other relevant info... I love jvc fx-1100/1200, 1964 v8. HD800 and HE-1000. So my preference leans on the dark side i guess.

thanks so so so much

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #3,290 of 9,041
thanks so so so much

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern.alex/videos/1008577499187940/

Here's something interesting coming that might expand your list of options.

I forgot to mention that i got to hear the 846 for a few mins. This was last year in my trip to hk. I visited jaben to buy something (anything actually). And i listened to a lot of iem's 2 whole afternoons. The 846 being one of them, i put them down after a few seconds as it was very sibilant. The guy derek offered to change the filters but i told him don't bother. My heart was more with the jvc fx1100/1200 (another fun iem) even against the Layla. Imo Flat is overrated.

Note on my impressions above, the layla bass settings were at 12 o'clock setting (i read somewhere here in head-fi that this was supposed to be flat setting).

I'm interested to know what you end up with. if you get to have a listen, I'd recommend that if you can.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #3,291 of 9,041
https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern.alex/videos/1008577499187940/

Here's something interesting coming that might expand your list of options.

I forgot to mention that i got to hear the 846 for a few mins. This was last year in my trip to hk. I visited jaben to buy something (anything actually). And i listened to a lot of iem's 2 whole afternoons. The 846 being one of them, i put them down after a few seconds as it was very sibilant. The guy derek offered to change the filters but i told him don't bother. My heart was more with the jvc fx1100/1200 (another fun iem) even against the Layla. Imo Flat is overrated.

Note on my impressions above, the layla bass settings were at 12 o'clock setting (i read somewhere here in head-fi that this was supposed to be flat setting).

I'm interested to know what you end up with. if you get to have a listen, I'd recommend that if you can.

thanks again

for me i look to perceive and get that old analogue warm thick sound signature, and I am not the person who likes transparent, flat and neutral

the reason being is tons of my music are not of high quality masterings, so the iem i need it needs to be forgiving as well musical and have a solid bass 

i thought about the rosie and the new roxanne but i am not sure why the conflicting impression to all the jhaudio iems, some swear by the layla and angie and some just can not stand them

what i care about alot is also how the iem will pair with ak380 for example the shure 846 pairs well while my sony xba z5 is so dull that i do not use it anymore

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #3,292 of 9,041
So Amazed with the AK AMP I just got! For my Oppo PM-1 & Silver Dragon V3 Cable! SQ has a lot more punch & higher mids! Wider sound stage! Pushes the Oppo PM-1 to the limit! A must by for AK380. Click pic for higher rez.

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #3,293 of 9,041
 So Amazed with the AK AMP I just got! For my Oppo PM-1 & Silver Dragon V3 Cable! SQ has a lot more punch & higher mids! Wider sound stage! Pushes the Oppo PM-1 to the limit! A must by for AK380. Click pic for higher rez.

Thanks for that, Mike.  I'm on the fence on getting the amp.  I hadn't read anything that convinced me there was much of a difference between amped and un-amped.  You may have pushed me over to the other side.

Jan 30, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #3,294 of 9,041
Thanks for that, Mike.  I'm on the fence on getting the amp.  I hadn't read anything that convinced me there was much of a difference between amped and un-amped.  You may have pushed me over to the other side.
Its Well worth the Money. I only had 4hrs with the AMP so far! At first i played a DSD File of Cat Stevens just through the 380 alone. Then I turn the AMP on with the same song What a big difference I could here fuller bodied wider soundstage. Deeper bass! It packs a lot of punch for my PM-1.

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #3,295 of 9,041
I would like to share out the Box AK 380 Copper
Source :
AK 380 Copper
Iem :
Fit Ear MH 334 costum

Out the Box Sound Quality compare AK 380 :

High :
On Par with Ak 380 with better rendering and more natural sounding High and smoother and better focus

Mid :
Is cleaner and has better pronounce and sweeter and more natural Voicing

Bass :
Very clean and deep and more accurate sounding Bass.
The Bass Quality is the Best from all AK DAPs i ever heard

Separation :
Is better that the individual music instrument placement more accurate.

Soundstage :
More 3 D like in Big Concert Hall.

Baclground :
The best Black Background i ever heard on Portable DAP

Sofar i am surprise what AK 380 Copper can produce their Best Sound Quality into DAP.

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #3,296 of 9,041
Its Well worth the Money. I only had 4hrs with the AMP so far! At first i played a DSD File of Cat Stevens just through the 380 alone. Then I turn the AMP on with the same song What a big difference I could here fuller bodied wider soundstage. Deeper bass! It packs a lot of punch for my PM-1.

Thanks again, Mike.

Ordered!

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #3,297 of 9,041
I hope AK will released a new firmware to fixed the charging icon. Everytime I charge AK380 (turn it off) and see the batt indicator is already full, I disconnect the charger.
Turn it back on and saw the battery percentage is just only 97% full
angry_face.gif

Jan 31, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #3,299 of 9,041
mmm......the Oppo PM1 is a very easy to drive headphone (for a planer magnetic) so any amp will do. I'm also on the fence re: getting the amp. Major problem: the cu is not color-matched to the 380 amp. Hopefully, AK will release a black 380 amp (cu amp would just be over-the-top, not to mention the unwanted weight). Black as in black black, which can be matched with any color including copper. But I'd be curious how the amp will perform when paired with hard-to-drive headphones (HE 6?).  I mean, can it reasonably drive it?

Jan 31, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #3,300 of 9,041

clearly we both do not share the same interpretation of sound quality preferences then, as to me the ak380+ amp with the oppo pm1 is dull sounding compared to hooking up the pm1 to an amp like alo mk3 B with mojo. 

I do not want to say this but the oppo pm1 can reach much much better levels using a solid amp than the ak380 amp

thats my too cents

having both the ak380 and amp

and mojo and alo mk3 B

in my books oppo pm1 to does not match well with ak380 and amp, I give it a 30/100 match

while mojo + alo mK B I give a 90/100 match

its up to others to listen to you or me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back