Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 11, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #2,956 of 9,041
  Ok I am just about had it with iriver USA.  I called and email them for over a freaking week with no respond, and may 30 day return period is about to run out.  This seriously piss me off.

That blows.  Could you just sent it back certified & insured?  I guess if they sign for it and are still unresponsive you'd have legal standing with your return.

Poor customer service is frustrating.

Good luck.

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #2,959 of 9,041
Usually need an RMA number to send stuff back.

They have all probably been at CES the whole week.

I am trying to do a RMA and exchange for the CC, but the timing sucks.

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #2,960 of 9,041
Is the amp really worth it?

Just got the AK 380 for travelling (an amazing DAP is needed for my trip lol) - am running it through TOSlink (that came with the Hugo) playing around with the AK 380 + Hugo TT/Hugo and Mojo. I am no serious audiophile, and have little to no experience with fancy DAPs; but the AK380 is slightly on the disappointing end for someone who has been using Hugo + desktop sources/Phone/PC.

I've always found the Mojo a little meh and the weapons of choice I normally use is the Beyerdynamic T1/ Ear Sonics EM-6/ Auriosonics 2.5 + Hugo. Those are my hardware biases and as far as music is concerned - its largely Anjunabeats, Above and Beyond, Phantogram and Pink Floyd for good measure.

There is a tremendous amount of diminishing returns when I couple this gizmo with the Hugo if compared to Phone + Hugo. I personally cannot differentiate between the sound quality to the point where it warranted the massive investment in this particular DAP. There have been some technical problems too - fundamentally my console has its volume dial dead... it doesnt go up or down after I maxed it out. 

The EQ on this thing is amazing, it makes the T1 sound radically different even when playing with the Hugo (or whatever else as an amp) and using the same track, This probably was its only saving grace that prevented me from demanding my money back. I still personally think this is an over glorified ipod with no real discernable quality that would justify it beyond the scope of Hugo and some basic media player. But then again, each to their own. 

For me personally, its better not to do things by halves - so might as well go all in and see what its amp is all about. I thought I'd pop by posting cherry and stop lurking by seeking wisdom about this :)

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #2,961 of 9,041
  i am surprised that eq does when connected to mojo, despite that i now do not use eq with iems, but with my oppo pm1 i like to have some eq when i connect the mojo to ak380

do you think it will addressed in firmware updates, for example my ak100ii eq works with the mojo

Hykhleif,

Unfortunately the equalization can not be address via firmware update.  It has to do more with the way in which the hardware is implemented in the AK380 it would require a hardware re-design.

Sincerely,
-Speed

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #2,963 of 9,041
  Not a fan of the case colour with the Copper one

I actually quite like it, as I always found those standard leather colors boring.

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #2,964 of 9,041

Just got the AK 380 for travelling (an amazing DAP is needed for my trip lol) - am running it through TOSlink (that came with the Hugo) playing around with the AK 380 + Hugo TT/Hugo and Mojo. I am no serious audiophile, and have little to no experience with fancy DAPs; but the AK380 is slightly on the disappointing end for someone who has been using Hugo + desktop sources/Phone/PC.

Did you not notice an improvement in the music using ak380 as source instead of noisy desktop as source? 
I thought due to the much better clock in ak380, the jitter is much less, and thus better sound quality as a source for your hugo?
Do you have an hifi cdp? how much difference between AK380 balanced output compare to your full size hifi cdp? 

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #2,965 of 9,041
Did you not notice an improvement in the music using ak380 as source instead of noisy desktop as source? 
I thought due to the much better clock in ak380, the jitter is much less, and thus better sound quality as a source for your hugo?
Do you have an hifi cdp? how much difference between AK380 balanced output compare to your full size hifi cdp? 

Most jitter is inaudible so if there's lots or nothing, it doesn't matter.
Also if your desktop pc has a good sound card it shouldn't sound any different at all.

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #2,966 of 9,041
Most jitter is inaudible so if there's lots or nothing, it doesn't matter.
Also if your desktop pc has a good sound card it shouldn't sound any different at all.

did you tried it yourself, or just your theory using inferior equipment to test it out.
I have a high end hifi system, a tiny little bit of distortion, i hear it loud and clear. 
If i have a cheap setup, obviously, i would just use the mac. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #2,967 of 9,041
  Is the amp really worth it?

I've always found the Mojo a little meh and the weapons of choice I normally use is the Beyerdynamic T1/ Ear Sonics EM-6/ Auriosonics 2.5 + Hugo. Those are my hardware biases and as far as music is concerned - its largely Anjunabeats, Above and Beyond, Phantogram and Pink Floyd for good measure.

There is a tremendous amount of diminishing returns when I couple this gizmo with the Hugo if compared to Phone + Hugo. I personally cannot differentiate between the sound quality to the point where it warranted the massive investment in this particular DAP. There have been some technical problems too - fundamentally my console has its volume dial dead... it doesnt go up or down after I maxed it out. 

The EQ on this thing is amazing, it makes the T1 sound radically different even when playing with the Hugo (or whatever else as an amp) and using the same track, This probably was its only saving grace that prevented me from demanding my money back. I still personally think this is an over glorified ipod with no real discernable quality that would justify it beyond the scope of Hugo and some basic media player. But then again, each to their own. 

For me personally, its better not to do things by halves - so might as well go all in and see what its amp is all about. I thought I'd pop by posting cherry and stop lurking by seeking wisdom about this :)

Using it as a transport only is probably a bit overkill, but it's up to you to decide. Pretty much every option in this hobby (or any hobby) is a personal choice. I'm with you, I prefer to go all in, rather than upgrading to get to the top, which is how I ended up with the AK380 + Laylas without hearing them. It worked out for me, but I did do a lot of research before accepting the risk.

For me, it started with the DAC. It sounded so impressive on paper and in practice, it matches or bests the few integrated DAC I've been able to compare it to. I've only heard one DAC that might beat it and it was a standalone piece. Most of my music listening is done portably, so being able to carry around gear that is this competent, without having to resort to stacks, was important. I stuck with this DAP, because it has the best usability and the GUI stands out from DAPs in the $1k range that I've seen.

After portability, versatility is the next item on my "must have" list. The ecosystem around the AK380 was the second reason I decided to try it. My next purchase will be the Schiit Ragnarok and the 380 dock (plus remote) will allow me to integrate the DAP into a desktop setup without hassle. Adding the amp was an acceptable compromise between needing more power and rubber banding pieces of gear together.

Surprisingly, the 2nd gen Beyer T1 sounded good straight out of the 380. I tried it with a friend's setup and there was an audible difference between the HA-1 -> T1, but the 380 -> T1 was no slouch either. I listened for a while without complaint. This was before I had the amp, so I can't comment on the pairing. (As an aside, the DAC in the HA-1 is very good and the AK380 is able to keep up with it.)

The AK380 rates poorly on a value scale, but the versatility and portability makes up for some of the price tag. I'm using this single device in more settings, though I guess I could have bought two separate rigs to save money. I have no regrets.

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #2,968 of 9,041
Jan 12, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #2,970 of 9,041
  Hykhleif,

Unfortunately the equalization can not be address via firmware update.  It has to do more with the way in which the hardware is implemented in the AK380 it would require a hardware re-design.

Sincerely,
-Speed

thanks for the answer although that is a bit disappointing knowing the ak100ii can do eq when connected to mojo

i thought this can be achieved by firmware updates

Users who are viewing this thread

Back