Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 10, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #2,943 of 9,041
Have any other changes besides the copper shell been detailed yet?

I received my 380 amp yesterday and listened to it a bit longer than I meant to last night. My initial impression is that is takes my custom Laylas to an all new level. I tried going to sleep listening to the same album I went to sleep listening to the previous night, but this new setup was too captivating. Everything sounded tighter and more controlled across the spectrum and more natural, too.

I'm even more excited about the Red Wine upgrade now that I've heard what the amp can do. I'm a bit curious why the amp upgrades cost more than the DAP upgrades and if the amp upgrades affect the wireless functions like the DAP upgrades can.

I few questions about the amp:

Do I have to charge the amp separately? I had the stack plugged in all night and the DAP is fully charged but the amp is at 47%, according to the notification, and has not changed since I plugged it in for the first time.

What purpose does the antenna serve? I assume it replaces functionality for the wifi from the 380 itself, but I can't see why it would need to.

Is it impossible to use the DAC function with the amp attached? I was able to see it as a storage device when I attached it to my PC, but I couldn't seem to use it as a DAC.

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #2,946 of 9,041
This thing is going to look incredible once it ages, develops its patina . . .

For the benefit of others, from Google Translate:
Ha! Just you wait till it turns green. :grin::nerd:

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #2,947 of 9,041
i am surprised that eq does when connected to mojo, despite that i now do not use eq with iems, but with my oppo pm1 i like to have some eq when i connect the mojo to ak380

do you think it will addressed in firmware updates, for example my ak100ii eq works with the mojo

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #2,948 of 9,041

I received my 380 amp yesterday and listened to it a bit longer than I meant to last night. My initial impression is that is takes my custom Laylas to an all new level.

Why i heard no improvement when i tested it in the shop ? slightly worse bass. 
Strange. 
Since you are the one who claim that, could you tell me what is improve? Dynamics? slam? Bass? High ? Mid? Stereo? rhythm -Speed? Air-ambient? 
What did the AMP improve over AK380 alone? 

Do you own stocks in AK? 

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #2,949 of 9,041
  Why i heard no improvement when i tested it in the shop ? slightly worse bass. 
Strange. 
Since you are the one who claim that, could you tell me what is improve? Dynamics? slam? Bass? High ? Mid? Stereo? rhythm -Speed? Air-ambient? 
What did the AMP improve over AK380 alone? 

Do you own stocks in AK? 

Single end of balanced?  The power from the single end side of the amp is actually WEAKER than stock.

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #2,950 of 9,041
I was using my custom Laylas via the balanced connection on the amp. The more immediate difference to my ears was the separation, which seems to allow details more room to be truer and more accurate.

The Grado GH-1's don't seem to show a much of a difference with or without the amp.

That's all the comparisons I've been able to do so far.

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #2,952 of 9,041
  I was using my custom Laylas via the balanced connection on the amp. The more immediate difference to my ears was the separation, which seems to allow details more room to be truer and more accurate.

The Grado GH-1's don't seem to show a much of a difference with or without the amp.

That's all the comparisons I've been able to do so far.

Oh, that combination, i will try if i go back to that store again.

Actually, AK380 with layla single end separation is amazing already. In fact that is the most difference between ak240 and ak380. The seperation.

You have a custom layla, is it much more comfortable than the universal? AK layla is so big, too uncomfortable for my small ear. Is custom as huge as the AK layla? 

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #2,953 of 9,041
The Layla x 380 was the most amazing combination my ears, so when people said the 380 amp was even better, I had to try for myself. The idea that the Laylas sound better with more power might indeed be true. Being able to hear so many details so clearly can easily become a distraction and that was magnified when I added the amp. I preferred SE over balanced before the amp, but I think the opposite is true with the amp.

I actually did not audition the universal Laylas before jumping in with the custom version. I've never seen a side-by-side comparison photo, but the universals definitely stick out further than the customs. Mine are the biggest IEMs I've ever used (though smaller than I expected) and they are still the most comfortable, even for sleeping. My ears are fairly small and the customs stick out, but not too much.

Back to AK380 discussion: I have to RMA my new amp, because it does not charge at all.

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #2,954 of 9,041
Ok I am just about had it with iriver USA.  I called and email them for over a freaking week with no respond, and may 30 day return period is about to run out.  This seriously piss me off.

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #2,955 of 9,041
For the benefit of others, from Google Translate:
Ha! Just you wait till it turns green. :grin::nerd:

Ha.  The full translation should be `mottled green`. 

Actually, I just read that the copper 380 is clear-coated to prevent oxidation, meaning no patina.  Too bad . . . . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back