Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 9, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #2,927 of 9,041
I would wait for a new model, probably would come out in the year 2016.

The life cycle of AK380 might be already half way through, if you look at the past AK records from history.

Munich High/End in May ?

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #2,928 of 9,041
  i think its not possible to change back as i asked few times and no one answered so i assume changing from 1.19 to 1.17 is not possible

Yes, it is possible to roll back to older firmware. You will have to visit AK's service centre or distributor which should have the equipment to do it. I am based in Hong Kong and I just call in to the distributor's service centre and it take 5 minutes. I had rolled back to 1.11

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #2,929 of 9,041

Yes, it is possible to roll back to older firmware. You will have to visit AK's service centre or distributor which should have the equipment to do it. I am based in Hong Kong and I just call in to the distributor's service centre and it take 5 minutes. I had rolled back to 1.11

i am astonshied why they make it not something you can install by flashing the firmware yourself 

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #2,931 of 9,041
  Another pic of the copper version

I love copper, my computer heatskill look just like that. it is call thermaltake copper. It is old, but i keep it for my newer cpu, because in my computer casing, it look so cool. I love copper.
But the original ak380 is extremely classy. It is so good, i bet none of the special edition will look better than the original. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #2,934 of 9,041
Guys, I am about to order the Meteor case for a friend and myself, so pm me if you are in the states and interested.

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #2,935 of 9,041
  Another pic of the copper version

I am disappointed that this version is not "Rose Gold" and the original has not been renamed "Space Gray". AK could also bring back "Gold Aluminum" and add a new shiny "Silver Aluminum".

Given the poor history of AK warranty and support, they should offer "AK Care" for something this expensive. Of course we can't have random 3rd party cables and plugs potentially damage the AK380 so there needs to be an official AK certification process and firmware authentication that prevents non-certified cables from working.

Lastly one must try before buying so AK should open up AK Stores in major cities world wide and have technically trained support staff and a type of Audiophile Bar to teach new buyers how to use their products.

Wouldn't it also be cool if there was an AK Worldwide Developers Conference every year so we can get a full presentation of all the new products coming out? I bet they could sell tickets to the event for like $1500!

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #2,936 of 9,041
I have a new AK380.  It has been unreliable during file transfer uploads to the internal memory.  Sometimes I get an error that "The device has stopped working or has been disconnected", and other times the download just stops mid-way.  I have been copying to the folder called music.  I have tried deleting the folder and recreating it, but the problem persists.  I have updated to 1.19 firmware.  Any suggestions to remedy this, or should I return the unit?

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #2,937 of 9,041
  I have a new AK380.  It has been unreliable during file transfer uploads to the internal memory.  Sometimes I get an error that "The device has stopped working or has been disconnected", and other times the download just stops mid-way.  I have been copying to the folder called music.  I have tried deleting the folder and recreating it, but the problem persists.  Any suggestions to remedy this, or should I return the unit?

If you are on a Mac and using ATP, then that's normal. Yes sad, but true for all Android powered AK players. A few tips to lessen the pain:
  1. Before you start xfer, make sure the AK is awake and screen is on.
  2. Limit each xfer to about 30 GB. The most I ever got to xfer before crashing was about 60.
  3. If you still have issues beyond this, I would leave the screen on 100% until xfer is complete.

Just to be clear, it is AK's implementation of Android that is causing this. I have a Sony Xperia Z5C with a 200 GB SD card installed and using the same ATP software, I am able to copy the entire 200 GB capacity in one xfer with no issues.

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #2,938 of 9,041

If you are on a Mac and using ATP, then that's normal. Yes sad, but true for all Android powered AK players. A few tips to lessen the pain:
  1. Before you start xfer, make sure the AK is awake and screen is on.
  2. Limit each xfer to about 30 GB. The most I ever got to xfer before crashing was about 60.
  3. If you still have issues beyond this, I would leave the screen on 100% until xfer is complete.

Just to be clear, it is AK's implementation of Android that is causing this. I have a Sony Xperia Z5C with a 200 GB SD card installed and using the same ATP software, I am able to copy the entire 200 GB capacity in one xfer with no issues.

Thanks bflat.  I am using a PC running Windows 8.1.  I have been using Windows File Explorer to transfer data.
Does anyone know if this file transfer problem extends to Windows, or have suggestions for Windows users?

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #2,939 of 9,041
  Thanks bflat.  I am using a PC running Windows 8.1.  I have been using Windows File Explorer to transfer data.
Does anyone know if this file transfer problem extends to Windows, or have suggestions for Windows users?

Check your cable and USB hub, it may not be getting enough power.

Jan 10, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #2,940 of 9,041
Thanks for confirming that it is possible. Just have to find out how easy it will be to do from the UK. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back