Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 13, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #2,986 of 9,041
The same thing with the AK240 and AK240SS (Stainless Steel), nothing was changed except the casing.  Grounding was improved so almost all noise was cut out making details and bass stand out more easily on the SS version.  I owned both the 240 and 240ss and noticed a big difference (to my ears) between the two, hence my mint AK380 is now for sale so I can get the copper version.  

Hoping to make this my last upgrade for the next 5-7 years.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #2,987 of 9,041
Just confirmed with Jimmy that I can return my bundle for the copper version for an additional $300, so that means it will be MSRP $4200 here in the US.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #2,989 of 9,041
Meteor still has 2 more cases, and one has been asked for.  Let me know if anyone of you want the last one.

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #2,991 of 9,041
Does anybody seem to have problems with their capacitive touch buttons? Mine doesn't seem to respond all the time.

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #2,992 of 9,041
It is established that the 380 and the amp can be charged together as one unit (through the micro USB port on the amp when integrated), but anyone knows whether the 380 will only be charged AFTER the amp is charged to full or will both be simultaneously gaining power while plugged into a socket? 

Yesterday the 380 failed to be charged and only the amp got charged while both were combined. I then disassembled the two and combined them again. This time both were able to be charged (the white battery indicator came on to the 380's screen and its charging progress can be glanced at by pressing the power button). However, the DAP's charging progress was extremely slow compared to it being charged as a standalone unit. 

Also, when the amp is charged as a standalone unit, the white charging light disappears once the amp is fully charged. But when assembled with the DAP, the white light never goes away and is constantly white even though both the amp and the player is at maximum capacity. What gives? 

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #2,993 of 9,041
I doubt this claim. If IRiver saw that SS improved the sound over aluminum they had no business releasing anything in aluminum again. There's going to be a lot of very disappointed customers if Copper is a significant improvement over Aluminum. Customers that won't be coming back.

I kinda like the copper personally and I'm hoping that AK will make the amp in Copper as well but it drive up manufacturing cost and hence increase the price of the Amp.

Just wanted to share some information with all of you.  According to my sources the Copper edition is the same exact PCM boards that goes into the AK 380 there are no engineering changes. However that said, because it's copper the grounding is improved and as a result the sound is improved especially in the bass region.  bflat I think it would go well with your MC lol...
Sincerely,
-Speed 

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #2,995 of 9,041
Yes, I have it packed today for the exchange.  I was told that the copper version should be here late Jan.

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #2,996 of 9,041
Does anybody seem to have problems with their capacitive touch buttons? Mine doesn't seem to respond all the time.

Same on my, and you sort of have to do a long press before it does anything.

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #2,997 of 9,041

I do like CU it dissipates heat very well. Our CU flashlights are getting more popular than any of the other metals we produce.
But I'm happy with my standard AK380+Amp.
Here's a link to some of the our small torches, some in CU.
They are all handcrafted in the USA with a lifetime warranty.

http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/TnC0.html

Thanks
Bob

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #2,998 of 9,041
Would be good to get some feedback from DAP/AMP owners on battery life.  Not so much how long but which lasts longer.

For me - I always have them paired and charge together.  I then play through AMP, balanced, to CIEMS on high gain.  normal listening around 40-50 depending on mood and track.

From 100% on both the AMP normally hits 1% with DAP still around 5-6%.

Another user said his AMP lasts a lot longer than DAP and I am worried my AMP has defective battery.  Would love to hear what others get.

Thanks.

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #2,999 of 9,041
Finally got to listen to the AK380 Copper. Man oh man... If you already have an AK380 and like it, it is a no-brianer to upgrade to the copper version. The sound so much better, the bass hits even harder and the instrument separation is even better. On my IEMs (Layla, K10 and SE846), straight out from AK380 Copper is clearly better than a normal AK380 with amp. I haven't listened to the copper version with amp yet and I can't imagine - I will try bringing an AK380 amp for audition of the copper again. Anyway, straight out to the Layla, I heard a very significant improvement, an improvement which is much much greater than when I compared AK240 and AK380. IMO, AK380 copper is simply the pinnacle of DAPs and it has left AK380 in dust. Once again, Astell & Kern did it - congratulations to Alex An and all other would-be AK380 copper owners - you are in for a treat and you won't regret if you ditched your AK380 right now. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #3,000 of 9,041
  Finally got to listen to the AK380 Copper. Man oh man... If you already have an AK380 and like it, it is a no-brianer to upgrade to the copper version. The sound so much better, the bass hits even harder and the instrument separation is even better. On my IEMs (Layla, K10 and SE846), straight out from AK380 Copper is clearly better than a normal AK380 with amp. I haven't listened to the copper version with amp yet and I can't imagine - I will try bringing an AK380 amp for audition of the copper again. Anyway, straight out to the Layla, I heard a very significant improvement, an improvement which is much much greater than when I compared AK240 and AK380. IMO, AK380 copper is simply the pinnacle of DAPs and it has left AK380 in dust. Once again, Astell & Kern did it - congratulations to Alex An and all other would-be AK380 copper owners - you are in for a treat and you won't regret if you ditched your AK380 right now. 

There is no part of your review that makes any sense at all. 'Much'? 'so much better'? 'harder'? 'instrument separation is even better'? 'clearly better'? I'd ask you to prove it, but I don't think we'll get anywhere. 

I'd be interested to know if the output impedance was lowered at all. Not that its current loaded deviation is much to write about.

If the world worked exactly as LouisArmstrong's review suggests, a facile upgrade to an 'ultimate' product that already performs at the top of the market would prove how poor the original was. That isn't the case. Not that things haven't changed. But if they have, you can be damn well sure that it's minute, or placebic. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back