Astell&Kern AK380
Oct 28, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #2,373 of 9,040
why hang around a thread when you seem to really hate the 380 with passion!

i dont see how comparing the 120II/Hugo to 380 is fair as one is a stack consisting of 2 very different entities (and not very portable) and the other is all in one unit (and portable).  The only reason I am still looking at 380 (and got a 240) is I didnt want to carry a stack or I would have kept my RWAK120B/Intruder.  

If someone was to compare another DAP (X7, QP1R, 901s, DX100.....) with 380 and think SQ much better that would be useful but the stack vs DAP argument!!

I would suggest the QPR1 sounds better that the AK380.

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #2,374 of 9,040
  Actually stack vs DAP is very relevant here, given that everyone carries a mobile phone anyways. The ONLY extra thing you need to carry on a stack setup would be the connector.  I am tired of people who use "apple and oranges" to dodge comparisons with HUGO - they are both premier products and deserve side by side comparison - no matter with AK120II or an iPhone as transport. In this case, AK380 is certainly inferior, and you still carry the same amount of bricks. You guys do use mobile phones right?

Yes, and Hugo + Anything = Stack. AK380 + 0 = No Stack.

No, it's not the same thing. I can carry my phone in one pocket and leave it there. When I take out my AK380, I only take that out from a different pocket, not a combination of objects which seem pretty bulky, ugly and awkward to me, and are as a combination much harder to control (and make sure I don't drop!) than a single AK380.

I have 175GB of music I want to carry with me. How many iFones have expandable storage? Zero. How many phones of any brand allow up to 256GB + 200GB = 456GB storage? Zero. How many Android phones have expandable storage, where you can use USB OTG with almost any portable USB DAC without rooting or major hassles? Not many, and not any I've owned or want to own.

Agree that comparing DAP vs stack is relevant though. Part of me is certainly intrigued by the Hugo but the combination of convenience, elegance and superb sound is a no brainer for on-the-go.

I am curious how the Hugo compares to AK380 plus amp. From the very few comparisons I've seen, that makes the difference almost negligible.

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #2,376 of 9,040
  Guys, move on from the Hugo stack vs AK380 DAP please.

How about getting back to your question yesterday - 1.14 should be the latest version. Where did your 1.15 come from? Is it a pre-release version? :p

Either way 1.11 should be the end for me. A pity that I'm stopping at such an early version but I really don't want to go through the hassle of downgrading firmware again.

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #2,377 of 9,040

How about getting back to your question yesterday - 1.14 should be the latest version. Where did your 1.15 come from? Is it a pre-release version? :p

Either way 1.11 should be the end for me. A pity that I'm stopping at such an early version but I really don't want to go through the hassle of downgrading firmware again.

I sent the demo Ak380 I had back for analysis 'cos after 1.14, it would reboot after every DSF/DXD track played (regardless of internal memory or microSD card). They never said if they found the problem but apparently swapped some components and it came back with 1.15. I've not been following the thread closely and therefore am not certain if 1.15 I have is beta or a final, but I don't see 1.15 announced anywhere on the website nor this forum.

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #2,379 of 9,040
Looking forward on the new firmware 1.15 with some new sound tuning.

and with QOBUZ or TIDAL integration ?     Sorry...I'm just dreaming 
frown.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #2,380 of 9,040

I sent the demo Ak380 I had back for analysis 'cos after 1.14, it would reboot after every DSF/DXD track played (regardless of internal memory or microSD card). They never said if they found the problem but apparently swapped some components and it came back with 1.15. I've not been following the thread closely and therefore am not certain if 1.15 I have is beta or a final, but I don't see 1.15 announced anywhere on the website nor this forum.

AnakChan custom perhaps :).

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #2,381 of 9,040
  and with QOBUZ or TIDAL integration ?     Sorry...I'm just dreaming 
frown.gif

Don't get me wrong, but I can't understand why so many people getting hung up on AK's lack of QDBUZ or TIDAL support.

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #2,382 of 9,040
Don't get me wrong, but I can't understand why so many people getting hung up on AK's lack of QDBUZ or TIDAL support.

TIDAL & QOBUZ are wonderfull way to discover new music. Plus streaming is the futur...

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #2,383 of 9,040
Attention all AK 380 owners...  

Do you prefer the sound from the 2.5 mm balanced side of the amp or the 3.5 mm unbalanced side of the amp?  

Personally, I've very rarely ever use the 2.5 mm balanced side. This is because (most of the time) I'm using the AK 380 with the Cord Hugo.  That said, I've recently purchased the AK 380 external amp and based on my cables and behavior I run my HE-1000's and HD-800 from the 3.5 mm unbalanced side.  I remember with the AK 240 (at least) the balanced side of the amp is a bit better sounding then the unbalance side.

Sincerely,
-Speed

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #2,384 of 9,040
I don't own an AK380... yet, but I know that the balanced side of the amp (either from DAP or the module) gives more power compare to the single end side.

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #2,385 of 9,040
TIDAL & QOBUZ are wonderfull way to discover new music. Plus streaming is the futur...

Sure, but I hate the idea of giving more money to JZ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back