Astell&Kern AK380
Oct 28, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #2,356 of 9,040
....Okay!

Here you go:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728145/chord-hugo-the-portable-discussion-thread      - Hugo thread

not much use hanging around here to just tell everyone how bad the 380 is!!

Oct 28, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #2,360 of 9,040
Why is it not trolling?

Talking about a stack vs DAP isn't really helpful to anyone here. And with the price issue too.....every thread seems to have someone banging on about how overpriced something is!!!!

It's like me saying my 30,000 seven seater Toyota is so much better than your 100,000 2 seater sports car because I can take my wife, 2 kids and parents in my car!!!

There differen things for different uses. It's not rocket science.

Oct 28, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #2,363 of 9,040
Actually stack vs DAP is very relevant here, given that everyone carries a mobile phone anyways. The ONLY extra thing you need to carry on a stack setup would be the connector.  I am tired of people who use "apple and oranges" to dodge comparisons with HUGO - they are both premier products and deserve side by side comparison - no matter with AK120II or an iPhone as transport. In this case, AK380 is certainly inferior, and you still carry the same amount of bricks. You guys do use mobile phones right?

Oct 28, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #2,365 of 9,040
  Actually stack vs DAP is very relevant here, given  that everyone carries a mobile phone these days. The ONLY extra thing you need to carry on a stack setup would be the connector.  I am tired of people who use "apple and oranges" to dodge comparisons with HUGO - they are both premier products and deserve side by side comparison - no matter with AK120II or an iPhone as transport. In this case, AK380 is certainly inferior. You guys do use mobile phones right?

I think it's more relevant on the Hugo thread actually. I gather you're referring to using the AK380 only as a transport and leveraging on the Hugo as being the converter and amplifier?

If the stacking is leveraging on the AK380 as a DAC, then there's somewhat more relevant in this thread than using the AK380 as just a transport.

Back on topic, can anyone let me know what is the latest release of firmware? I just got my demo AK380 thread back and it's got f/w 1.15 but I don't recall that being announced anywhere?

Oct 28, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #2,366 of 9,040
Actually stack vs DAP is very relevant here, given that everyone carries a mobile phone anyways. The ONLY extra thing you need to carry on a stack setup would be the connector.  I am tired of people who use "apple and oranges" to dodge comparisons with HUGO - they are both premier products and deserve side by side comparison - no matter with AK120II or an iPhone as transport. In this case, AK380 is certainly inferior, and you still carry the same amount of bricks. You guys do use mobile phones right?

Not trolling at all. You are only looking for more $$ is better. Face it, if the Hugo is better for less, why would you buy AK for sq alone?

Oct 28, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #2,367 of 9,040
  Let's face the fact that AK380 is still vastly inferior to the 120II/Hugo combo. The question is whether even Mojo with a proper transport can beat AK380. 

"Let's face it"  I beg to differ sir.

I still have my AK 240 and Hugo combo and when I compare the AK 240 + Hugo vs. the AK 380 sound wise the AK 380 has certain sonic advantages over the combo. Not to mention the sheer pleasure of not having to carry the Hugo around!  

When you have the AK 380 + AK 380 External Amp Vs. The AK 240 and Hugo combo yea that's when you know without question the AK 240 + Hugo combo has got to go!  And the AK 240 is still to my ears a better transport than the AK 120ii. 

-Speed 

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #2,368 of 9,040
  "Let's face it"  I beg to differ sir.

I still have my AK 240 and Hugo combo and when I compare the AK 240 + Hugo vs. the AK 380 sound wise the AK 380 has certain sonic advantages over the combo. Not to mention the sheer pleasure of not having to carry the Hugo around!  

When you have the AK 380 + AK 380 External Amp Vs. The AK 240 and Hugo combo yea that's when you know without question the AK 240 + Hugo combo has got to go!  And the AK 240 is still to my ears a better transport than the AK 120ii. 

-Speed 

I have a AK100 + HUGO, but I am very tempted to move to "AK 380 + AK 380 External Amp".

I am just wondering if the  AK 380 External Amp will be powerful enough (in balanced mode if necessary) to drive to their full potential my ED5 and also a HE1000 ?  (when I tested the  AK 380 External Amp  at CanJAm London, I did not find the  AK 380 External Amp quite much powerful than the AK380 alone, to the point that I was wondering if it was operational !)

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #2,369 of 9,040

I have a AK100 + HUGO, but I am very tempted to move to "AK 380 + AK 380 External Amp".

I am just wondering if the  AK 380 External Amp will be powerful enough (in balanced mode if necessary) to drive to their full potential my ED5 and also a HE1000 ?  (when I tested the  AK 380 External Amp  at CanJAm London, I did not find the  AK 380 External Amp quite much powerful than the AK380 alone, to the point that I was wondering if it was operational !)

Hi bmichels,

I have the HE-1000's and the HD-800's. The AK 380 external amp DOES sufficiently drive both headphones.  

My normal listing volumes on the AK 380 with and without the external amp set on "low-gain" is between 95 and 100 using both the JH Layla's or the Shure SE-846's IEM's (before I sold them). That correlates (relative to the same volume setting) to plugging the IEM's into the Cord Hugo at light green or just past the bright red color.

When driving the HE-1000's with the AK 380 amp set to "high-gain" my volume levels are anywhere from 130 to 137.  That translates (relative to the same volume setting) on the Cord Hugo to bright purple and sometimes light blue.  

Please note:
When the AK external amp is set to "low gain" the volume levels between the AK 380's internal amp and the external amp are equivalent!, Additionally I don't have a balanced cable.  

Hope this helps,
Sincerely,
Your friend in audio
-Speed     

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #2,370 of 9,040
Ak380+ak380amp pretty handy compare to others stack which using rubber band and look great.

Sounding wise decent sound going with big headphone with acceptable sound coming out from the hd650.

All I can said not bad for all in one and with the gain switch which able to play around with gain setting with different earphone and headphone to achieve the maximum quality out from this gears.

Ak380 sounding for me more to like a hifi set sounding which different from any portable dac which I experience before. It get more details and wider soundstage.

So end of the day still depends on the listener sounding preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back