Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
Jul 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #136 of 767
Quote:

Mimou I suggest when they finally release the 1.00 firmware (probably in 5 years) you try out 1.21 on your SE5s. I won't be surprised if you like that pairing. Since you mention the SE5 are too warm on 1.00. I found the 8A to pair very well on this combo. Still a bit too much bass for my liking but much better than on 1.00.

After trying again today...does not sound so warm. I am not sure if it is ear burn in, cable burn in or whatever, but today it sounds lovely, on par with the Tera - SE5 pairing but with a different flavor.

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #137 of 767
Quote:

Mimou I suggest when they finally release the 1.00 firmware (probably in 5 years) you try out 1.21 on your SE5s. I won't be surprised if you like that pairing. Since you mention the SE5 are too warm on 1.00. I found the 8A to pair very well on this combo. Still a bit too much bass for my liking but much better than on 1.00.

What firmware are you on? If you are on 1.00 then it shouldn't be bass light. On firmware 1.21 it is. But if your headphones are bass heavy as is then 1.21 might suite them better by bringing that bass under control.

It came with 1.21. I have always considered the T5p's to be very neutral so maybe I just don't need as much bass as everybody else :)

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #139 of 767
Quote:
OK - Had the AK120 for a few hours now. Straight out of the box with T5p's I have to honestly say that I am blown away.

The soundstage is incredible and it sounds quite valve amp like. The gapless is awesome (finally gapless on my HD tracks, Yay)

The build quality is excellent.

An amazing sound from such a small package.

And I really do not understand people saying it is bass light - no such issue with these headphones :)

Hi, congratulations for your AK120.
I always wanted to try the T5P but I never had the change.I am selling my SD3 and thinking of buying thease. Can you tell me how they sound compared to Wxxxx series from Audio Technica? Is the cable removable? Can one walk around with them or they are quite heavy? My first AK120 came with 1.21 but the second I made sure it will come with 1.00 . Yours thoughts about T5P and AK120 will be much appreciated.
Levi

Jul 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #142 of 767
Right. So I spent the whole day at work listening to my AK120 joined with my T5p's.

I spend a lot of time listening to music at work and I am a bit of an audiophile at heart.  Unti now I have used my Colorfly C4, which I really love. The AK120, although smaller, is more functional and I am now convinced - sounds amazing!

I am rather surprised by how much is crammed into such a small unit, but it is approaching having a portable version of my main HiFi (Naim HDX, Unison research preludio). Weird but true. Either I am going mad and am completely deluded, or A&K have really managed something pretty impressive.

Only time will tell.

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #145 of 767
Hi All -

Just wanted to drop a note saying hello to everyone in this thread.

I'm a new AK120 owner.  Just sold my iBasso DX-100 and replaced it with the AK120.

My 2p - I have to agree with the reviews about the DX-100 sound being slightly better than the AK120.  However, the AK120 form factor, battery life, double microSDXC card capability, better GUI, charging, indexing and stability just blow away the DX-100.

My greatest frustration with the DX-100 was having to wait 10 minutes every time I turned it on before I could listen to music.  To be fair, I had an external microSDXC -> SDXC adapter and was using a 120GB SDXC card.  Both the card and memory were full, so it did have a LOT of music to index.  However, the AK120 can be set to only index on demand - a great feature.  I've got 2 x 64GB cards in it, and my internal 64GB memory is full.  Even with 192GB (172GB formatted), it indexes a LOT faster that the DX-100.

I'm using my new toy with Heir Audio 4.Ai and 5.0 cans.  It sounds great with both.  I had planned to sell my 4.Ais when I got the 5.0s.  However, I find that some music is better with the flatter 4.Ais and some with the warmer, more bassy 5.0s.  I've done a bunch of side by side tests which, unfortunately, had just made me want to keep both (damn you, Head-Fi, damn you :).

Overall, I'm a very happy new owner.

Jul 5, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #149 of 767
I got it from in the front side just below a screen. Is not my fault. It is a scratch from a person who packed the ak120 in a factory. I bought it in store and opened it at home. Now sellers dont want to change for me :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back