Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
May 7, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #706 of 767
if i want to upgrade from ak100mk2.
which one i should choose: AK120 or AK120ii?
i don't have access to the demo unit of ak120ii
I like how the ak120 titan sounds.
I consider the ak120ii because it has better UI and also has balanced output
I understand the chip are totally different between the two (AK120 and AK120ii)

May 7, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #707 of 767
I also think about changing to AK120 II. Sound wise I have nothing against my AK100 Mk2, but its UI is terrible, being slow, often freezing and on average once per two days refusing to recognize one or both microSD cards. Is the first generation AK120 more stable than AK100? I doubt as their software seems almost identic.

I could live with a slow AK100, but freezing, black screen and "unreadable" files make me wish something more.

May 7, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #709 of 767
Personally I prefer the sound of the ak100ii over the original ak120 which I prefer over the ak100mk2.
However that is me.
Either way you go they have the A&K refined sound.  SO you can rest assured that it wont be harsh or cold sounding, however though both are somewhat neutral, imo the original series sound a little warmer when comparing directly to the new series.
For me, I would choose ak100ii however based on sound alone, the UI and features I would see as a bonus.

May 7, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #710 of 767
Personally I prefer the sound of the ak100ii over the original ak120 which I prefer over the ak100mk2.
However that is me.
Either way you go they have the A&K refined sound.  SO you can rest assured that it wont be harsh or cold sounding, however though both are somewhat neutral, imo the original series sound a little warmer when comparing directly to the new series.
For me, I would choose ak100ii however based on sound alone, the UI and features I would see as a bonus.
the new series use a different DAC which is brighter and not as warm as the Wolfson

May 8, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #715 of 767
I mean regular freezing and not recognizing one or both microSD cards. If auto-library scan is enabled, voluntary library scanning countless times.

I didn't experience a problem with the AK100 freezing or recognizing my 64GB microSD cards. However, I didn't change out the cards very often. Auto library scan sucks on both models, so I just turned it off and do a manual scan whenever I load new music (which is rarely as I can now fit my entire music collection on the AK120).

May 9, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #716 of 767
I didn't experience a problem with the AK100 freezing or recognizing my 64GB microSD cards. However, I didn't change out the cards very often. Auto library scan sucks on both models, so I just turned it off and do a manual scan whenever I load new music (which is rarely as I can now fit my entire music collection on the AK120).

Lucky you! Probably my unit is defective (though not completely). Thank you for information. It's good to know that it can also be stable in everyday use. First generation AK120 or AK120 Titan might be an option for a good price.

May 10, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #717 of 767

Lucky you! Probably my unit is defective (though not completely). Thank you for information. It's good to know that it can also be stable in everyday use. First generation AK120 or AK120 Titan might be an option for a good price.

Try removing the SD cards and re-inserting them, make sure they are tight. After you close door press it gently. My did not recognize the SD at first either, but that is what I did, and no issues since. Good Luck

May 11, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #718 of 767

Try removing the SD cards and re-inserting them, make sure they are tight. After you close door press it gently. My did not recognize the SD at first either, but that is what I did, and no issues since. Good Luck

Thanks for the recommendation. I've tried that many times. I believe it might a software problem. Only hard reset and disabling auto library scan partly helped, but unfortunately it keeps on freezing and not recognizing SDs several times per week. My AK100 Mk2 is still usable as sometimes these issues are absent for 3 or more days, but it is annoying all the same.

Another bizarre issue is a partial disappearance of music from one or both SD cards after adding/deleting files from my AK. That's why now I keep a copy of all contents on my iMac's HDD in case the music is lost again.

May 11, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #719 of 767

Thanks for the recommendation. I've tried that many times. I believe it might a software problem. Only hard reset and disabling auto library scan partly helped, but unfortunately it keeps on freezing and not recognizing SDs several times per week. My AK100 Mk2 is still usable as sometimes these issues are absent for 3 or more days, but it is annoying all the same.

Another bizarre issue is a partial disappearance of music from one or both SD cards after adding/deleting files from my AK. That's why now I keep a copy of all contents on my iMac's HDD in case the music is lost again.

@Klonatans What firmware revision are you using ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back