Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
Mar 10, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #751 of 767
Wanted to share my impressions from comparing my new AR-M2 to my older modified Mezzo MS-AK120, using stellar recordings of Beethoven's symphonies and piano concerti as basis for this comparison and using the Alpha Dog and HE400i as headphones:
I found that the MS-AK120 drive these two headphones better than the AR-M2.
In general, I felt that the two DAPs have similar flavor - musical and somewhat warm in nature - but there are clear differences:
- The AR-M2 has faster and better response and dynamics with bigger soundstage and sub-bass.  
- The MS-AK120, on the other hand, has smaller soundstage and less resolving presentation, but it has far better separation of instruments and neutrality of sound.

I would describe the MS-AK120 as the more analytical, while the AR-M2 is more musical.  
I felt that the MS-AK120 is more fatiguing, while the warm musicality and bigger soundstage of the AR-M2 allowed me longer concentrated musical experiences.
But the story didn't end there, as there were either moments or musical pieces, where the analytical powers of the MS-AK120 seems to be be called into play and the experience was very rewarding and beautiful.
I am not sure, then, that there's a bottom line of one over the other, but I do feel that symphonic classical music and jazz would benefit more from the AR-M2.

What's next?
The addition of the Questyle QP1R to the mix...

Sep 30, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #753 of 767
Update to my ak as dac on android failure: So I did managed to reach AK and they confirmed it was not designed to be used with android like a AK10. They were hesitating for another fw update from 1.42. Well no updates anymore. Ok just now recently i found that it does work with apple ios lol.
I use now a older iphone 4s which i got really cheap with hiby app and a 5 dollar 30pin to usb host cable. It works perfectly.
I solved the issue with draining the phones battery by adding a 1k resistor to the 5v usb line in the 30pin connector.
This is how it looks like..
20170930_223553.jpg
I made the cable shorter to be more compact. Nice feature of hiby is that it reads from shared folders on a windows pc. So no dlna streaming limitations just pure high res data reading using the phones wifi. Oh and i found ios doesnt upsample the bitrates nice for using other apps like youtube.. still have to try Tidal.

Oct 30, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #759 of 767
Thanks for the answers, for now I use a lg v20 + mojo, if instead of v20 would I put the ak 120 will have an audio improvement?
I have read that the ak 120 sounds particularly good but better than an ak 70 II or an ak 120 II?
Thank you.

Dec 22, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #760 of 767
Im agreeing only partly, if youre after better acoustic (specially instrument) presentation i say yes, go for the mojo, but if youre a soundstage fan like me, i would go for the 120.
Specially with 2nd hand prices nowadays.
On the mojo, the highs are a bit rolled off supressing the soundstage. to have it both means going for a Hugo(2) with 4 times the price of Mojo.
And yes, the Mojo works with the cable as in the picture.
Still after 5 years the AK's battery lasts longer than Mojo's i know cause im using both about 3 days a week.

Jun 14, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #762 of 767
Hi Astell&Kern fans,

Recently, I found and purchased four Astell&Kern early products:

AK100MKI/MKI, AK120 Black and AK120 Tiitan. ALL NEW in 2020!

Thanks Astell&Kern US team for helping me grab the last available leather cases, and my friends who generously provided me with the original standing dock, MQS album, and more. They are all in perfect conditions.

They are incredibly small and just of perfect size for me to operate comfortably using one single hand without worrying about dropping on the floor. Very good sound tune with warmness that is presented differently compared to their big brothers: SP1000SS and SP2000SS. They may not have that powerful performance in every aspect (OS/2.5mm balanced output/connectivity/CPU/Internal storage), but hey they still sound quite good. My paring: Vision Ears Erlkonig and Effect Audio Leonidas II Octa.

I especially love their volume knobs, brushed aluminum body and that delicate but retro slot doors for SD cards. Amazing build quality!

Let's take a look at my collection. Also, feel free to let me know if you have any question!

- Jerry

AK100:AK120 Collection 1.jpeg

AK100:AK120 Collection 2.jpeg
AK100:AK120 Collection 3.jpeg

Jun 21, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #763 of 767
Hi Astell&Kern fans,

Recently, I found and purchased four Astell&Kern early products:

AK100MKI/MKI, AK120 Black and AK120 Tiitan. ALL NEW in 2020!

Thanks Astell&Kern US team for helping me grab the last available leather cases, and my friends who generously provided me with the original standing dock, MQS album, and more. They are all in perfect conditions.

They are incredibly small and just of perfect size for me to operate comfortably using one single hand without worrying about dropping on the floor. Very good sound tune with warmness that is presented differently compared to their big brothers: SP1000SS and SP2000SS. They may not have that powerful performance in every aspect (OS/2.5mm balanced output/connectivity/CPU/Internal storage), but hey they still sound quite good. My paring: Vision Ears Erlkonig and Effect Audio Leonidas II Octa.

I especially love their volume knobs, brushed aluminum body and that delicate but retro slot doors for SD cards. Amazing build quality!

Let's take a look at my collection. Also, feel free to let me know if you have any question!

- Jerry

AK100:AK120 Collection 1.jpeg
AK100:AK120 Collection 2.jpegAK100:AK120 Collection 3.jpeg
Those look lovely mate. I’m using a sr25 out and about and a sp2000 at home bit I’ve always fancied a ak120. What iems are you using with it?

Dec 16, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #765 of 767
Desperate for a replacement battery for my trusty AK120ti. Looks like AK have pulled the plug on these, they’re not providing any battery replacement through official repairers. I’ve ended up having to order a third party Chinese replacement to do it myself. Does anybody have any experience of this? Only £28 so I haven’t much to lose, but at the end of the day I need my AK120 digital file server back. (Nothing else sounds quite like it with Hugo 2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back