Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
Jan 25, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #511 of 767

I have a very little orthogonal movement but very little. However it rotates very very easily (between each step). Since I am an engineer maybe I can try to tighten it and do a tutorial to improve the feel.
(sorry for my approximative english, french guy here)

I have tried to make a video, but I can feel the loose and not noticable on the video...
here it is :

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #513 of 767
Mine only rotates as expected.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #515 of 767
Heat problem!!!!!

Using my device in a caffe today, it was in my pocket relatively tight jeans took it out to change the album and noticed even through the leather case that it had become not extremely but considerably hot.... on taking it out the case this was even more evident given the metal surrounding.

Has anyone else used their device and noticed that it gets considerably hot? If I had one of those temperature guns I'd measure it but I've only got glass thermometers... it was above body temperature as it was distinct when in the pocket, would have noticed if I hadn't come in from the cold into a warm environment as when I put it back into my pocket it was noticeable.

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #516 of 767
I just bought an AK120 and have been burning it in for the past week or so playing aac/mp3/alac/flac files 24/7. A few days ago I decided to download some DSD64 files and used these for the burn in process. After playing all night, I woke the next morning with the AK120 being quite hot and attributed this to the DSD files. The AK120 was in its leather case lying on my bed, so there was plenty of air circulation.

By the way, since the WM8740 chips are not DSD compatible, I assume DSD files are converted to PCM for conversion. I suppose this would be a definite advantage with the new AK240 in that it can play DSD64 and 128 files natively.

I find the tonal quality of the AK120 (v1.37) to be more on the detailed side than my previously owned AK100 (v2.30).

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #520 of 767
lmao! I wouldn't bet on it in terms of warranty support :p. But Vinnie will help you if he can. But if you do the mod you do it for the pure sound quality :wink:..

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #521 of 767
.Heh.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #524 of 767
I just got my AK120 S-mod back today and have been switching between 1.32, 1.37 and then 1.33. Not sure if I'm liking the sound now due to the second DAC chip having been replaced (it was failing) or due to the Uber Cable. But I am really liking 1.33 now. I think I'll be sticking with this firmware. Seems to be the best to my ears now. Gives the most realistic sound staging presentation and the most neutral.

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #525 of 767
  I just got my AK120 S-mod back today and have been switching between 1.32, 1.37 and then 1.33. Not sure if I'm liking the sound now due to the second DAC chip having been replaced (it was failing) or due to the Uber Cable. But I am really liking 1.33 now. I think I'll be sticking with this firmware. Seems to be the best to my ears now. Gives the most realistic sound staging presentation and the most neutral.

Yeah....I can't really disagree with that.   1.33 was pretty darn good.  I've got 1.37 running at the moment and can't hear much difference on most content, and the interface is slightly less sluggish. Too bad we don't have a couple of units side by side to test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back