Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
Feb 2, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #526 of 767
i prefer 1.37 honestly, one of the features is able to change the connection type through the player setting directly, as for sounds wise, indeed not much different 

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #527 of 767
  i prefer 1.37 honestly, one of the features is able to change the connection type through the player setting directly, as for sounds wise, indeed not much different 

I love this new option as well ...

I hope AK adds the ability to read .dsf tags in the next update since an advertised feature is DSD64 compatibility.

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #528 of 767
I decided to write A&K support since I had several questions about my new AK120. I thought I would post it here and followup with whatever answer I receive back so that others may learn from my experience:

Hi,

I purchased an AK120 recently after owning an AK100 for a few months and I’m very happy with my upgrade. I have v1.37 loaded on my AK120 and have a few questions for you:

1) I’ve noticed that when I have my AK120 connected to my main music system using a very high quality cable, there is a buzzing sound (sounds like a grounding issue) that comes through my speakers for about 2 seconds after one track ends and before the next track begins. This buzzing sound never occurred with my AK100 using the exact same cable and system setup. The buzzing sound is not present when using headphones, only when connected to my system. If I turn on gapless playback, there is no buzzing sound between tracks unless I manually skip a track. Are you aware of this anomaly?

2) Will you add complete support for reading metadata on .dsf files in a future firmware update?  Currently, no artwork appears on the playback screen yet it does appear on the album listing screen.

3) Given the storage space available on the AK120 and the likelihood of owners having thousands of songs stored, do you plan on adding a search function in a future firmware update?

4) I contacted you before about artwork not showing up on all my songs. I am a member of Head-Fi and have read on the forums that the artwork needs to be no bigger than 500x500 pixels and you concurred, but I have tried reducing the size on some of the files using smaller artwork yet it still does not show up. Do you plan on fixing this anomaly?

5) I have tried resetting my AK120 a number of times by holding the topmost button on the left side simultaneously with the power button for more than 7 seconds, but all that happens is the AK120 displays the good bye message screen and turns off. If I try to reset the unit from a powered off state, the loading screen comes on for about 5 seconds and then the unit shuts off. I recall that my AK100 reset function did not operate this way and there was some indication that I had indeed reset my player. Can you help me with this?

6) The alphabetical order of albums displayed on the AK120 begins with number titles and then goes to albums beginning with Z before going to albums beginning with A. Just thought you might like to know.

I plan on posting this email on the Head-Fi forum along with any answers you may provide on the above questions so that others can learn from my experience.

Thank you,

John

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #529 of 767
i just found out that my updated ak120 has this issue where i drag the timeline of the sound, when i release it, no sound until i press pause button then play it again, anyone having this issue?

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #530 of 767
  i just found out that my updated ak120 has this issue where i drag the timeline of the sound, when i release it, no sound until i press pause button then play it again, anyone having this issue?

I just checked mine and while playing a song if I use the scrubber to go to a different part of the song and then release it, the song continues to play from that point without pressing play again.

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #531 of 767
My modded player also does this. I need to pause then play to hear song again even though timer still counting down. There were several posts some time back from other mod owners with same problem.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #532 of 767
Hello Head-Fi-ers,

First post....

I have an RWAK 120S that has the same scrubbing problem. Mine worked fine for about a week but hasn't worked since then. Also the << "button" on the touch screen only goes back to the beginning of the track that is playing, not back through the folder, no matter how many times I press it, just back to the start of the same song.

I've emailed iriver and will post what I get back.

My reset doesn't seem to do anything either, no indication of a reset, as a previous poster mentioned. It did this with 1.33 and now 1.37, no difference.

....sounds great though :)

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #536 of 767
Anyone with stock players have this scrubbing/seemingly unable to reset problem?

My stock player has no issue with the scrubbing feature.

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #537 of 767
Here's the reply I received from iriver regarding the questions I posed in a recent email:

Dear iriver customer,

Thank you for contacting iriver customer support. 

Please note the answers to your questions below:

1) I’ve noticed that when I have my AK120 connected to my main music system using a very high quality cable, there is a buzzing sound (sounds like a grounding issue) that comes through my speakers for about 2 seconds after one track ends and before the next track begins. This buzzing sound never appeared with my AK100 using the exact same cable and system setup. The buzzing sound is not present when using headphones, only when connected to my system. If I turn on gapless playback, there is no buzzing sound between tracks unless I manually skip a track. Are you aware of this anomaly?

To better understand the nature of your setup at home, please provide us with more information on what equipments are used with the AK120. A picture attachment of the setup would help us as well.

2) Will you add complete support for reading metadata on .dsf files in a future firmware update?  Currently, no artwork appears on the playback screen yet it does appear on the album listing screen.

Currently artwork is not supported on DSD file formats but we are working on the issue for future updates.

3) Given the storage space available on the AK120 and the likelihood of owners having thousands of songs stored, do you plan on adding a search function in a future firmware update?

We will forward your message to our engineering team for a review.

4) I contacted you before about artwork not showing up on all my songs. I am a member of Head-Fi and have read on the forums that the artwork needs to be no bigger than 500x500 pixels and you concurred, but I have tried reducing the size on some of the files using smaller artwork yet it still does not show up. Do you plan on fixing this anomaly?

Please make sure that the image file of your album art is in JPG format and try again.

5) I have tried resetting my AK120 a number of times by holding the topmost button on the left side simultaneously with the power button for more than 7 seconds, but all that happens is the AK120 displays the good bye message and turns off. If I try to reset the unit from a powered off state, the loading screen comes on for about 5 seconds and then the unit shuts off. I recall that my AK100 reset function did not operate this way and there was some indication that I had indeed reset my player. Can you help me with this?

Hard resetting is used only when the unit is frozen and unresponsive. To properly hard reset, please press and hold the ON button and the Previous track button (top button on the left side of unit) at the same time for 7+ seconds before letting go of both buttons at the same time. The timing to let go is when the screen goes dark from a frozen screen/state.

6) The alphabetical order of albums displayed on the AK120 begins with number titles and then goes to albums beginning with Z before going to albums beginning with A. Just thought you might like t know.

This issue has been reported to our engineering team already but we will send the message again.

If you have any questions or concerns please email us back at any time.

Thanks & Regards,

iriver Inc.
CS & Tech Support
949-336-4540/1
shop.iriverinc.com

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #538 of 767
although the search function is useful but with a small screen, i dont see how they implement it, it's possible with the new ak240

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #539 of 767
I suggested to Jonathan at iriver that they make the control on the far right side which allows quick scanning of a library's content a bit wider. I have trouble at times engaging this control. I also suggested they adopt Apple's method of using a small translucent dialog box that shows the first letter of where one is at when they do a quick scan. Your point, though, is noted since a traditional search seems beyond the capacity of the inherent design.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #540 of 767
I guess the search function will be a great challenge for them. Besides the screen issue, another issue of the search function will be input language support, since they will need to support searching for non-English title songs (e.g. Japanese, Korean etc), unless they restricted this searching feature for English titles only...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back