Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
Nov 14, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #481 of 767
Not too bad when you buy an album and can record it while you listen to it adding it to your collection that way, is the method I'll use from now on. Sadly its not one I followed after years of purchases so I have a mountain to get through and couldn't take out the pops and clicks in each, DeClick is an excellent program, suppose I'd go back to using it if I had to... fails hard on percussion tracks though .lol. Using Audacity to record, wavelab does look like its worth the investment.

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #482 of 767
Have to admit I'd be a bit peeved if I got mine and had to send it back... am literally recording all of my vinyl to 24/192, buying in new headphones and portable amp just to open them all open at the same time .... think I'll explode .lol.

Vinnie got my RWAK120-B and heared the problem. He had to change both Wolfson chips. Didn't imagine could be so extensive.
When you are seeking for high end material (be a car for example) you know that the price will be tidy but you expect a great service. This material is elaborated and troubles can't be avoided at some time.
For me I have no problem to send back a device if in the end it is awesome and bring me pleasure.

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #484 of 767
Should receive the device next week.
RWAK120-B > ALO Mk3 balanced > AKG K3003i (SE)/Earsonics SM64 (balanced) >> MoonAudio balanced cables

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #485 of 767
Sorry for previous empty post, new to all this.

I see under another AK120 thread that others are experiencing same problem with non-recognition of microSD cards.  So hope a firmware fix will be forthcoming soon.  
Not sure changing to another unit will help.
I pm'ed JMoon on this issue and he was not aware of the problem but would let his team know about it.

heyyeh

I experience the same issue with a new AK100 (bought at Halloween). It got to the point where I had to reboot several times a day. I sent the unit back to iriver at their request (with both of my new Sandisk 64g micro cards).

They said they couldn't replicate the issue, but said they are aware that on rare instances the issue occurs. (I'm using ver 2.3).

I can't believe they didn't experience the issue. The problem happened every morning first try.

Long story short - they said they'd replace the unit - but suggested they send a refurbished unit. No way.

I'm picking up a new unit from my dealer on Monday. I have a feeling this issue is more prevalent than iriver mentions. I also understand they've focused on providing more features, so maybe this issue is further down the fix list.

It's annoying and shouldn't happen. It's akin to having to restart an iPod because it doesn't recognize the hard drive.

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #486 of 767
With my AK100 using only Verbatim microSD HC 32GB cards. There is no problem but haven't tried with 64GB ones.

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #487 of 767
With my AK100 using only Verbatim microSD HC 32GB cards. There is no problem but haven't tried with 64GB ones.

I may go with just 32g cards to see if the issue pops up with my new AK100. I was using a single Sandisk 32G at first, and I can't quite remember if I experience the issue then - or when I moved up to 64G. It's worth a shot.

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #488 of 767
  My partner does most of ours and we generally get nice pressings to choose from so things with too high a noise floor are just rejected. Any major clicks and pops are removed manually in Wavelab. Pretty remarkable. Doesn't alter the sound like noise programs do and you can't tell it was ever there. Years of editing lets him see and remove them very quickly. Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear but a clean record with a few some pops becomes great. The other thing about a great TT setup is that the noise is very separate from the music. You obviously can hear it and don't want it but it's easier to hear past when it's character it's a separate entity from the recording.

Goodvibes I always thought you were a Man. Are you a woman? :).

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #489 of 767
For some crazy reason I am having a craving for trying the colorfly C4, anyone who owns the AK120 can give me some feedback on how C4 stacks against the AK120 ignroing the UI?

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #490 of 767
  For some crazy reason I am having a craving for trying the colorfly C4, anyone who owns the AK120 can give me some feedback on how C4 stacks against the AK120 ignroing the UI?

Speak to sprks01 I believe he owns C4. I've always been interested about C4, though still, if you loved the Rocco BA, you shouldn't be counting out the 3rd anv. 

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #494 of 767
Device isn't playing a .WAV file I'm testing... recorded it as 32bit float in 24/192.... anyone else had similar issues? Am yet to see if its the firmware but would not have seen this as a problem if I didn't accidently use a .WAV file of an album instead of its FLAC folder.

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #495 of 767
24/192 .wav works great. Your 32 bit float may need to be rendered or it may have been recorded as a broadcast wav. which doesn't work in most things. Take the file and run it through something like DB poweramp and select convert to Wave but choose 2 'stereo' instead of 'as source' and the rest 'as source' and it should fix whatever is wrong with the file if it's usable. There is no reason to use a float in a straight recording without any changes being made. A higher floating bit rate is to maintain bit integrity when doing mastering or level changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back