Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
Nov 19, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #496 of 767
  Male business partner. That's Mr Goodvibes to you buddy, LOL

Oh ok. When you said partner I was thinking something else.... 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #497 of 767
... was one file... out of hundreds :/

They're back up files of my vinyl collection, too large to use on a portable device so I made uncompressed FLAC copies as I was going along, suppose I can do without converting them as it would be a long process... thought that 32bit flat could be used on devices that play 24bit files, am sure its what the manual for Audacity said.

Managed to get a FLAC album onto the device via drag and drop in the end, was only testing it out with one track, ended up putting a whole album onto it and staying up at night .lol. The iRiver program is seriously lame, seems like a pointless bit of software, couldn't transfer files at all.... tough to beat Cowons Jet Audio. Hopefully SD cards are as easy to store files onto, heard that people advised on using an external SD card reader to then put the cards into the device rather than have it write them to its drive on its own but I doubt there'll be a diffrence considering most SD card readers aren't exactly speciality devices.

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #498 of 767
Yeah.... the device isn't able to take the 32bit float and play it at its native 24bit level or something.... haven't tried again but will do when I get home, thing is with 32bit float:

32-bit recording is 32-bits fixed point (not using float system) while a 32-bit float has a 24-bit resolution with additional 8 bits for headroom/dynamic range. For example Sony Sound forge differentiates these two clearly when you are creating a new recording project

Hence the 'float'... in theory the device should just play it as 24bit, in reality it farts and stumbles before telling me the file is not compatible.

Will stick to 24bit FLAC... nicer when you have art work anyway.

Anyone in this thread missing the new balanced mod from Hong Kong? Seeteeyou just posted this....

Check out them pins baby!!! .lol.

Website

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #499 of 767
  Suppose delivery wouldn't be too expensive.... how does it sound now... what gear are you gonna use it with?

Vinnie didn't asked for delivery but French customs invented an import Tax, the device being declared as returning from repair, I paid 34€.
Now I would advise the RWAK120-B on top of the genuine AK120.
And RWA service is exceptional.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #500 of 767
Hi everyone — just wanted to share some news in case anyone in this thread had been on the fence about getting Ultimate Ears. If you've ever considered buying them, then this promo is pretty good:

As a special THANK YOU to our loyal UE customers, starting Wednesday 11/27 at 9am PST, Ultimate Ears will be offering 20% off of any UE Custom online purchase through Friday at 11:59pm PST.  In addition, the first order (starting at 9:00 am PST of each day) will be eligible* to receive a free Astell & Kern AK120 High Fidelity Music Player.  The winners will be chosen and announced on Monday December 2nd. 

I'll post the code and URL here in this thread (Just simply click HERE and use promo code UETHANKYOU) on Wednesday. 

* This offer is only valid for online orders and the offer is only available in the U.S.

Learn more about the promo here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/691600/who-wants-free-ak120s-for-black-friday

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #502 of 767
can anybody compare sound quality of stock AK120 vs RWAK120 with JH13Pro? I've got a JH13Pro on the way, and just considering if it is worth upgrading my current stock AK120. Thanks in advance!

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #503 of 767
  can anybody compare sound quality of stock AK120 vs RWAK120 with JH13Pro? I've got a JH13Pro on the way, and just considering if it is worth upgrading my current stock AK120. Thanks in advance!

Extremely minimal difference... don't bother with the mod, to be honest.

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #504 of 767

Extremely minimal difference... don't bother with the mod, to be honest.

Thanks for the advice Fatalethal. But I'm also wondering if there might be a bigger improvement with RWAK120 compared to AK120 with a lower impedance CIEM like the UM Miracle, JH16, etc..it's just that I can see myself picking up another CIEM down the track, and it would be very nice to have an AK120 that won't distort the frequency response of a low impedance CIEM, which many tend to be.

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #505 of 767

Thanks for the advice Fatalethal. But I'm also wondering if there might be a bigger improvement with RWAK120 compared to AK120 with a lower impedance CIEM like the UM Miracle, JH16, etc..it's just that I can see myself picking up another CIEM down the track, and it would be very nice to have an AK120 that won't distort the frequency response of a low impedance CIEM, which many tend to be.

You are right. However, based on impressions of myself, and few other people (friends), it really depends onto the tuning of the CIEM rather than the impedance of the CIEM and/or DAP.

For my case, my AK100 has 22ohm, and I have paired Fitear 333, 334 (custom), 335, 435, JH 13, 13pro, 16pro, and there isnt a significant difference compared to using my iBasso DX50 and even Sansa Clip Zip as well... just to compare how much difference does output impedance can affect the frequency response. I have tried genres like Industrial Metal, Jazz, Classical, Contemporary Classical, Oldies, Rock.. it still sounds as good as it is!

But there are some IEM like Fitear TG!334, sound bad on my AK100, but better on DX50, and this is extremely clear cut with the incorrect pairing of impedances. However, this is like, one of the few IEMs out there that has a significant difference when there's a mismatch in impedances.

On paper, it is proven that it will alter the signature of the frequency response.. but however, when synergy comes into play, every else on paper is merely a guideline.

*BTW, i have heard the RAWK100 as well.... mehhhh, not impressed with it in any way. it makes my music lose its "emotions" by making it too clinical sounding, and a hint of "artificial" sound.

It really depends on what you are hearing. I have yet to hear the RWAK120, but considering a 3ohm to near 0 ohm i personally dont think there is much of a difference, unlike AK100 & RWAK100.

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #506 of 767

You are right. However, based on impressions of myself, and few other people (friends), it really depends onto the tuning of the CIEM rather than the impedance of the CIEM and/or DAP.

For my case, my AK100 has 22ohm, and I have paired Fitear 333, 334 (custom), 335, 435, JH 13, 13pro, 16pro, and there isnt a significant difference compared to using my iBasso DX50 and even Sansa Clip Zip as well... just to compare how much difference does output impedance can affect the frequency response. I have tried genres like Industrial Metal, Jazz, Classical, Contemporary Classical, Oldies, Rock.. it still sounds as good as it is!

But there are some IEM like Fitear TG!334, sound bad on my AK100, but better on DX50, and this is extremely clear cut with the incorrect pairing of impedances. However, this is like, one of the few IEMs out there that has a significant difference when there's a mismatch in impedances.

On paper, it is proven that it will alter the signature of the frequency response.. but however, when synergy comes into play, every else on paper is merely a guideline.

*BTW, i have heard the RAWK100 as well.... mehhhh, not impressed with it in any way. it makes my music lose its "emotions" by making it too clinical sounding, and a hint of "artificial" sound.

It really depends on what you are hearing. I have yet to hear the RWAK120, but considering a 3ohm to near 0 ohm i personally dont think there is much of a difference, unlike AK100 & RWAK100.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a lengthy reply. Much appreciated. When it comes to impedance matching between iems and sources, I guess there are only guidelines and ultimately, we just have to give it a go and trust our own ears. I've pretty much decided that I will hold off on the RWAK120 mod for now. Thanks again for the advice and for making my wallet happier 
normal_smile .gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #508 of 767
  Hi !
I got my AK120, and I love it.
But I have a problem, my volume knob seems to be loose. Is it the same for you ?

When you say loss do you mean it sways like the Ak100 model? Mine does not do that however few others have mentioned their model does which was quiet normal. 
My AK120 model has zero orthogonal movement and very little rotational sway (never touches the plastic guards surrendering the knob).

Perhaps take a video of it and share it on youtube so we can see it?

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #509 of 767
  When you say loss do you mean it sways like the Ak100 model? Mine does not do that however few others have mentioned their model does which was quiet normal. 
My AK120 model has zero orthogonal movement and very little rotational sway (never touches the plastic guards surrendering the knob).

Perhaps take a video of it and share it on youtube so we can see it?

I have a very little orthogonal movement but very little. However it rotates very very easily (between each step). Since I am an engineer maybe I can try to tighten it and do a tutorial to improve the feel.
(sorry for my approximative english, french guy here)

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #510 of 767

I have a very little orthogonal movement but very little. However it rotates very very easily (between each step). Since I am an engineer maybe I can try to tighten it and do a tutorial to improve the feel.
(sorry for my approximative english, french guy here)

That is quiet normal and your english is fine :)
Welcome to the forum. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back