Astell & Kern AK Jr - $499/£399
May 2, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #91 of 162
  well if we can not criticize then this is not a forum anymore, if u expect us just to hail everything i am sorry then this will not be a consumer forum.

we audiophiles got some experience of how daps would be valued for their specs, and ak's jr specs are not worth more 200 usd at most

But when people just criticize base on spec of the DAC chip alone it really doesn't help the conversation.  Need I remind you that packing yesterday's technology into a smaller package is sometimes worth the money.  Else we'll still be carrying phat bricks that doesn't fit in a pocket and we'll be needing waist bags to carry just a DAP that only plays music for 2hours.  Miniaturization costs money too.  

May 2, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #92 of 162
No rudeness please. 
smile.gif

May 2, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #94 of 162
  I did have the X5 + E12 but sold them so I did get to at least mid range sound!!

My X3 has everything I need. Good amplification, warm Wolfson sound signature which is my preferred, tactile controls and line out. Pairs wonderfully with my DN1K's and HP50's. In addition I do have an iBasso D6. That's about all I'm willing to spend thus far although I did buy a couple of cheap IEM's recently. Meelectronics M6Pro and VSonic VSD1S for outside use paired with a Nano.

I guess you could say I have gone backwards but the budget market is where it's at for me.

To me this new AK player is just style over substance. But hey, if you want a schmick looking player by all means go for it.

That is intresting,most want to upgrade, and you downgrade if it really a downgrade, to find out we Need a blind test, where we not get influenced by appearance  and the cost. I amlooking Forward to the first reviews of the AK jr anyway, and specially how the Player will compare to the FiiO X3 second Generation,

May 2, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #95 of 162

That is intresting,most want to upgrade, and you downgrade if it really a downgrade, to find out we Need a blind test, where we not get influenced by appearance  and the cost. I amlooking Forward to the first reviews of the AK jr anyway, and specially how the Player will compare to the FiiO X3 second Generation,

Good point. Now you mention it I did not consider it a downgrade at all. Then again I sometimes listen to 256Kbps VBR MP3 so what do I know!! For me the biggest influence on sound signature or quality is the headphones or iem's themselves and the X3 as a source is to me sufficient. When using the line out with my iBasso D6 and HP50's and a well mastered redbook recording it's fine.

I'm a PC enthusiast and Gamer above all else.

May 2, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #97 of 162
peace off everyone its amazing how we can get so personal towards gears, anyway i as always respect everyone's point and sorry if i annoyed anyone

May 2, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #98 of 162
Are the shure se425 good to use with the jr? I'm actually looking at the ak120 right now,
I've gotten tips that to get a higher ohm iem ?
The se425, klipsch x7i and x11i are the ones that I like that are under $1k
I have the klipsch s3 right right now

May 4, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #101 of 162
Talking with the guys at my local audio shop they tell me its basically going to be an ak100 with a slimmer profile. So if you've heard the ak100 you should have a fair idea of what this will sound like.

May 5, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #104 of 162

And the AK10 headphone DAC/Amp as well. which I have myself, good, but not good enough for the Money, 299 Euro.

I had the beyerdynamic a200p which was an ak10 clone and yeh it probably wasnt worth its asking price but then astell and kern have never really been the best for value for money.
How does the ak100 compare to the iBasso DX90?

Its been a while since i've heard either of them so i'm hesistant to try to describe them sorry. To my ears there wasnt a huge a difference between them and the dx90 is definitely better value for money but i definitely preferred the ak's user interface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back