Astell & Kern AK Jr - $499/£399
May 1, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #76 of 162
  well if we can not criticize then this is not a forum anymore, if u expect us just to hail everything i am sorry then this will not be a consumer forum.

we audiophiles got some experience of how daps would be valued for their specs, and ak's jr specs are not worth more 200 usd at most

Agreed.

After journeying briefly into the Head.Fi world I have come to the conclusion it's all a bit of a joke really. DAP's that cost over 2.5k. $500.00 "silver" cables. 10+ driver IEM's. 24/192 & DSD. Modded $50.00 cans being sold for nearly a grand. Warning bells were starting to ring rather loudly. I very nearly got sucked in.

I'm out and very happy with my X3 thank you very much.

I have gone back to basics and stopped obsessing about all this nonsense and I gotta tell ya, the music has never sounded better.

May 1, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #77 of 162
Agreed.

After journeying briefly into the Head.Fi world I have come to the conclusion it's all a bit of a joke really. DAP's that cost over 2.5k. $500.00 "silver" cables. 10+ driver IEM's. 24/192 & DSD. Modded $50.00 cans being sold for nearly a grand. Warning bells were starting to ring rather loudly. I very nearly got sucked in.

I'm out and very happy with my X3 thank you very much.

I have gone back to basics and stopped obsessing about all this nonsense and I gotta tell ya, the music has never sounded better.

Agreed. It's always good to step back from time to time and do a sanity check.

May 1, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #78 of 162
Agreed. It's always good to step back from time to time and do a sanity check.

It's a crazy world we live in Koolpep.

I mean some wanker who has bashed 4 of his wives is about to be paid 250 million or so for jumping in a ring and beating the crap out of someone. If that is not just so wrong I really don't know what is. So hope he loses. 

May 1, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #79 of 162
Honestly guys, I don't know why you keep complaining. There's so many other offers, just go and buy what you like. I keep coming back to this thread hoping there's some new information, and I have to filter out all these opinions which are not helping anyone in any way. All our preferences are subjective, either for earphones, or for DAPs, just choose what you like instead of complaining about a product you don't want to use. 

We are discussing the latest offering from A&K, I own two A&K DAPs, I think I can have an opinion, good or bad on that player. Isn't that what this forum is about? Exchanging opinions and experiences? If we all do what you say, this would be a very quiet place without us lamenting and discussing the pros and cons and sharing our experiences...

well if we can not criticize then this is not a forum anymore, if u expect us just to hail everything i am sorry then this will not be a consumer forum.

we audiophiles got some experience of how daps would be valued for their specs, and ak's jr specs are not worth more 200 usd at most

I agree with you. Spec wise $200 max, then add another $100 for the great build quality, materials, nicer display and UI etc. and it's still $200 too much :wink: for what you get, of course this is only my personal opinion. It looks absolutely great though, you have to give it to them, they can produce some nice looking and feeling players for sure.

Cheers,
K

May 1, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #80 of 162
  Agreed.

Fcuk man, I'm out and very happy with my X3 thank you very much.

You forgot the custom IEM´s costing over 2000 Dollar,if you go on the road with lest us say an AK240 and their layla IEM you Need an assurance and other wise have to hope nobody kill you, to rob those items, People get killed for less These days

May 1, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #81 of 162
I don't see people stop wearing Rolexs soon.

May 1, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #83 of 162
May 1, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #84 of 162
thank god i'm living in Japan then. at least nobody gets killed for sneakers.

Yes indeed, same here. In Dubai, you can probably let your AK240SS behind in a bar and nobody would even bother taking it (because it's not gold plated) LOL

The dropped wallet test in Dubai: http://7daysindubai.com/dubai-residents-pass-honesty-test-youtube-wallet-stunt
They gave up after 46 tries as the wallet was returned every single time.

Cheers,
K

May 1, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #85 of 162

You forgot the custom IEM´s costing over 2000 Dollar,if you go on the road with lest us say an AK240 and their layla IEM you Need an assurance and other wise have to hope nobody kill you, to rob those items, People get killed for less These days

I should further clarify my statement by saying that I'm not attacking anybody here that is willing to pay top dollar for their sound. Not at all. Just saying my journey ended at the cheaper end of town!!

May 1, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #87 of 162
  Isn't that a bit too soon?

I did have the X5 + E12 but sold them so I did get to at least mid range sound!!

My X3 has everything I need. Good amplification, warm Wolfson sound signature which is my preferred, tactile controls and line out. Pairs wonderfully with my DN1K's and HP50's. In addition I do have an iBasso D6. That's about all I'm willing to spend thus far although I did buy a couple of cheap IEM's recently. Meelectronics M6Pro and VSonic VSD1S for outside use paired with a Nano.

I guess you could say I have gone backwards but the budget market is where it's at for me.

To me this new AK player is just style over substance. But hey, if you want a schmick looking player by all means go for it.

May 2, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #88 of 162
What IEM under $1000 is ideal to use for the ak120? I've looked at the klipsch x7i and x11i and they kinda seem to fit into specs for it, but then in a video a guy mentions he's using the shure se535, are those good?
(I mainly listen to classic rock and indie rock)

May 2, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #90 of 162
I might get the Jr., but I'm not sure, I might get the ak120 over it

I am getting the AK Jr mostly for the form factor and the interface.  However, since both DAPs do not have WiFi, the AK120 will always wins on storage.  200Gb microSD cards are coming out, so regardless of cost, you can max out the AK120 storage at 64+200+200=464Gb vs 64+200=264Gb of the AK Jr.  I am guessing that the AK Jr will have better battery life too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back