Astell & Kern AK Jr - $499/£399
Aug 13, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #151 of 162
I own a Ibasso DX90. A few days ago had the opportunity to compare it with the Jr and the new X5 in a shop in Shanghai. I was using my Westone W40 and listening to flac files well known to me. I did some 3 hours listening in two separate sessions. My listening impressions were that Jr fared slightly better than the DX90 in terms of naturalness of sound and dynamics, and that the X5 was by far worse than the other two, it sounded way more metallic, or digital if you like.
In the same occasion I have also  tested the Cowon Plenue, which I found closely indistinguishable from the DX90. Compared to the Jr however it is ways bigger and heavier, and the functionalities are the same (no digital output in both).
The GU of the Jr is as known way better than that of the DX90, it is thinner, smaller, nicer to see and touch.  This may compensate the 25% higher cost in comparison of the DX90.
All in all, not a bad player in my opinion.

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #152 of 162

I too own the DX90 and W40's and believe there is a synergistic relationship between the W40's and AK Jr. On well-recorded material especially with an acoustic, the sound is almost holistic as if I am bodily immersed in it. It is a startling though fully enjoyable feeling that I have never experienced with IEMs before. While the DX90 has twice the power and the Lurker0 firmware makes the UI readable, I am selling it.  

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #153 of 162
Seems like many DX90 users found a better sounding DAP and changing to AK Jr!

Sold my DX90 few weeks back as well. Very pleasant surprise on how good the AK Jr sound, that is better than a DAP with dual sabre dac!

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #160 of 162
Posted in wrong thread. See my comments here.

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #161 of 162
  Posted in wrong thread. See my comments here.

Very informative thank you 
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #162 of 162
I've recently gotten into the audiophile world and I currently own a pair of JH Audio Roxanne and UE-18 Pro. I have a budget of around £400/$500usd for a DAP. I want to use it as a DAC with my Mac as well. Currently the AK jr seems the way to go but are there any others in my price range worth looking at? Any that perform better with sensitive CIEMs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back