Astell & Kern AK Jr - $499/£399
May 8, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #121 of 162
Thanks for your reply too. I'd really appreciate you comparisons with the other AK products. It would at least give me a bench mark if the new JR was value for money.

My little set up is galaxy s4, equalizer + app. AKG K550s and most recently (1 week old, still burning them in) Grado RS1Es. I also have Philips L1s boxed in another country waiting for me.
I have the L2 , wonderfull headphones, but after hearing the Grado, it is possible you will like only one of them, as they are totally different. My reference is the GR10, I like both depending on the kind of music

May 8, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #122 of 162
I've not no. I did a bit of research on the Web and took a chance with the fiio e18. I'll be honest, playing quality recordings and listening to decent Internet radio is a joy with this set up. The app has had it's problems but with the latest software update (after contacting the developers about the issues) a lot of those issues have been addressed.

I'll take a look at what you suggest though.

May 8, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #123 of 162
I think the e18 being built with android in mind was the deal breaker for me, download direct from Internet and play straight away, it's all just so easy. But this new JR looks the business. If it were to sound the business too I'd be tempted.

May 8, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #124 of 162
Look into Cowon DAPs if you want something similar without breaking the bank.

May 15, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #129 of 162
hmm. it's a little misleading in their part.in this case availability should be "pre order" not "in stock". i almost order it today.

If it was "Out of stock", like this:
http://shop.iriverinc.com/astell-kern/astell-kern-ak120-metal-bumper-case-red.html

Then people wouldn't be able to pre-order it.

hmm. it's a little misleading in their part.in this case availability should be "pre order" not "in stock". i almost order it today.

May 15, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #130 of 162
It is available on amazon in the states. Says shipping for May20th...

May 20, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #132 of 162
Looked on the official US site and it says "in stock" but when I went to order one a couple of days ago, it would not process my order as it was only a pre-order process. I didn't know this at the time and sent them(A&K/iRiver) an e-mail to find out what was going on and got no response so I sent another e-mail, still no response  and then sent a third e-mail with no response to date! This really pisses me off! I have read about their legendary ****ty service and now I believe it. I found out about the pre-order situation on this forum and yet their site still says that they are "in stock"(just checked a few minutes ago). I concur that this seems/is very misleading and bad business practise and they have just lost a potential customer. I can, and will, spend my money elsewhere. Goodbye A&K!.

May 20, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #133 of 162
Looked on the official US site and it says "in stock" but when I went to order one a couple of days ago, it would not process my order as it was only a pre-order process. I didn't know this at the time and sent them(A&K/iRiver) an e-mail to find out what was going on and got no response so I sent another e-mail, still no response  and then sent a third e-mail with no response to date! This really pisses me off! I have read about their legendary ****ty service and now I believe it. I found out about the pre-order situation on this forum and yet their site still says that they are "in stock"(just checked a few minutes ago). I concur that this seems/is very misleading and bad business practise and they have just lost a potential customer. I can, and will, spend my money elsewhere. Goodbye A&K!.

No need to regret. At its price range I believe DX90 or maybe incoming X5II sound better than JR.

May 20, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #134 of 162

Boy you are upset, there is a phone number on that page(at the bottom), call them , they pick up the phone right away. I call them yesterday and they said it will be available next week. Not sure if that is going to be the case. What I am trying to say ,you should be able to talk to someone at Ak about it

May 20, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #135 of 162
Wow. Life's way to short for this much angst over needing to wait a week or 2 for a DAP. I'm guessing there hasn't yet been much genuine grief in some folk's existences. Some of this actually makes me giggle though I'm genuinely happy that some can be this oblivious to what's important. Hope your lives remained blessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back