Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
May 25, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #2,418 of 3,961
I've passed the request on a few times, but have not heard of if/when jt could be added. I will share the request again.

Maybe ask for Radio Paradise again as well.

May 25, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #2,420 of 3,961
@JasonNYC

Are there any news about the problem? It has been a few weeks now, we would appreciate it very much if you could give us an update.

This is very strange. It is definitely felt quite a few of us with this problem. Whether they are all from the EU, I don't know. Anyway, I am from the EU / Berlin. What role would that play? Different firmware?

Maybe a pair of info about it:

- Update on the last firmware.
- Then reset to factory settings and only Tidal installed.
- SP3000 is connected to the PC, with original cable.
- It doesn't matter if DAC mode or not: if SP3000 is on 100% and the device is operated, a freeze with reset happens. This is completely random, regardless of anything.
- Only in DAC mode without operation on the device itself there are no problems.
- Ehm, since yesterday I don't have the problem though. What has changed is: Tidal update to 2.80.0 (from "Download" installed - as always) and I use a different USB-C cable on the front (case) port of the pc. I'll edit this right away in case I have another freeze/reset.

As always, thanks for the patience and efforts!

EDIT: Here we go again: just freeze/reboot after wake up. I'll try again with another USB-C cable, even if that will certainly not help...

May 25, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #2,421 of 3,961
@JasonNYC

Are there any news about the problem? It has been a few weeks now, we would appreciate it very much if you could give us an update.
Not yet. Most of the teams were in Munich for the High End Show. I will follow up for an update.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 25, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #2,422 of 3,961

Not to beat a dead horse, but what is the value-added for customers and A&K for enforcing a whitelist anyway? It's just a thorn in the side for everyone. Why not just simply list supported apps and leave it at that, instead of blocking installs? On my rooted SP1000M, radio paradise, di.fm, neutron, apkpure and many other apps work perfectly, provided they support Android 6.

May 25, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #2,424 of 3,961
Not to beat a dead horse, but what is the value-added for customers and A&K for enforcing a whitelist anyway? It's just a thorn in the side for everyone. Why not just simply list supported apps and leave it at that, instead of blocking installs? On my rooted SP1000M, radio paradise, di.fm, neutron, apkpure and many other apps work perfectly, provided they support Android 6.
Good point, which I fully support. I see no reason for such a restriction. So I would be interested to know what is behind it, i.e. what A&K was thinking.

May 25, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #2,425 of 3,961
Good point, which I fully support. I see no reason for such a restriction. So I would be interested to know what is behind it, i.e. what A&K was thinking.
It's easy from an IT and tech view. Why expose yourself to users being angry they bricked or have slow or non functional software or hardware and inflated amounts of support tickets asking why this app doesn't work etc etc.

If you've ever been in a dev environment you'll know exactly why they heavily curate what users can and cannot use. Especially given the fact that their closed android is an older android version, if people go updating software and it doesn't function and bricks, they get support tickets en masse.

May 25, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #2,426 of 3,961
It's easy from an IT and tech view. Why expose yourself to users being angry they bricked or have slow or non functional software or hardware and inflated amounts of support tickets asking why this app doesn't work etc etc.

If you've ever been in a dev environment you'll know exactly why they heavily curate what users can and cannot use. Especially given the fact that their closed android is an older android version, if people go updating software and it doesn't function and bricks, they get support tickets en masse.
That makes perfect sense to me.
On the other hand, I have never felt the need to install other apps until now. Maybe a little more customization would please me so that using the UI is faster.

May 25, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #2,427 of 3,961

I hear you but I don't think you are going to brick a device by installing apps, I never have. Worst case is a factory reset from recovery which is easy enough. I agree that A&K can have "supported apps" which they can provide some certainty that they will work (and provide support). But I don't see an advantage to restricting apps that will likely work just fine if installed (and of course they can be "unsupported"). Anyway, it's just my two cents... for people like me and @shznn who want to run other apps (which work just fine on A&K hardware)...

May 25, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #2,428 of 3,961
@JasonNYC Could someone try to look into the issue of DAR on DSD being on causing a lot of audio signal noise when used in DAC mode, doesn't happen at all in DAR PCM DAC mode but the second it's on DSD there is a lot of audio signal noise as soon as a sound is introduced from silence. I should note, the same exact songs etc and pause/play tests when used in normal DAP mode is perfectly fine, it seems to be an interaction between DAR on DSD mode and DAC mode only.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #2,429 of 3,961
@JasonNYC Could someone try to look into the issue of DAR on DSD being on causing a lot of audio signal noise when used in DAC mode, doesn't happen at all in DAR PCM DAC mode but the second it's on DSD there is a lot of audio signal noise as soon as a sound is introduced from silence. I should note, the same exact songs etc and pause/play tests when used in normal DAP mode is perfectly fine, it seems to be an interaction between DAR on DSD mode and DAC mode only.
I often use the SP3000 in DAC mode on the PC with DAR on DSD and I really haven't noticed any signal noise: only when I'm playing Star Wars and no sound is being produced do I sometimes, very rarely actually hear very brief audio noise (I think white noise?). Outside of the game, however, I didn't notice it at all when I stayed longer without sound, but I didn't really try to pay attention to it either. I'll look into it more.

I'm using 24/192 with A&K latest driver (https://www.astellnkern.com/support...bsType=download&pageSize=10&page=1&langType=1), before that I had used the earlier version specific to SP3000. Buffer should be the lowest and not in safe mode.

May 26, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #2,430 of 3,961

While your reasoning seems perfectly defendable on the surface I'm somehow against defending laziness. DI.FM would work perfectly well; not only that, it's a kickass service which I primarily wanna listen to. In 2023 I should be able to get that on a DAP that costs EUR4,300 in EU. It can be done, and easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back