Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
May 28, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #2,447 of 3,874
May 28, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #2,449 of 3,874
You buying any product does not put the maker under a duty to enable you to change its features/functions to suit your wishes. You buy a product as is.
and how's that relevant to me asking them to enable di.fm

May 28, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #2,451 of 3,874
" where's my right to install whatever I want at my own risk on a device I bought"
No I think it's perfectly normal to ask for a feature. If you're keen on defending them for not listening I can't stop you; myself I'm not gonna own a sp3k forever so I'd rather listen to di.fm on it now and have them enable it. If you're bored and think it's best to police each other for wanting features it's a choice I'm not gonna necessarily agree with

May 28, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #2,452 of 3,874
No I think it's perfectly normal to ask for a feature. If you're keen on defending them for not listening I can't stop you; myself I'm not gonna own a sp3k forever so I'd rather listen to di.fm on it now and have them enable it. If you're bored and think it's best to police each other for wanting features it's a choice I'm not gonna necessarily agree with
You have every right to ask. Maybe I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying AK were infringing on your right to install whatever you want by not enabling you to do so.

May 28, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #2,453 of 3,874
You have every right to ask. Maybe I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying AK were infringing on your right to install whatever you want by not enabling you to do so.
No they ain't infringing; if I was feeling that way obviously that would be more serious. I'm just not interested in people's reasoning on why AK wouldn't enable certain things when these people themselves have probably little idea about AK's internal reasoning. I think AK themselves would be kind of okay with listening to us. Myself I am keen on AK daps and I am a fan of the closed system; it's just that I think a closed system with the right targeted apps enabled > android system. And yes I do believe somewhat that for a DAP such a scheme is better than fully-open android. Hey if you can make the interface simpler, save me some battery life and optimize stuff while giving me the very app I want I'm 100% happy. It's just a bit of that last part that's missing. We got tidal and whatnot and that's good but DI.FM is so good. I just want them listening. Otherwise it's no secret I'm mostly a fan of AK

May 28, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #2,454 of 3,874
I refuse to go down the same path I did at the beginning of this thread, but the point is, why don't you buy something that has the features you want or allows you do what you want?

To me, it makes so much more sense than buying something that doesn't do what you want out of the box and then bitching about it or waiting for a company to add features in updates and constantly requesting them to open their walled garden. It is the companies decision to monitor and allow apps that work best with their units.

Apple-esque. I am an Android guy for that very reason, but I know what I want in a DAP.

If it doesn't do what you want and you didn't research your purchase up front that is on you. Few have disputed the stellar sound quality which is the primary function of this device.

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #2,455 of 3,874
@JasonNYC I have a question. I am currently in the process of buying a Tsuranagi for a stack with my SP3000 and also a ddHifi bag for more convenient carrying around of the DAP and when needed the stack. The only usability issue I'm seeing is that when the stack is in the bag then doing any kind of changes in the user interface will be really difficult.
A smartphone app that allows you to control the DAP via Bluetooth and additionally maybe Wifi would be great. I believe this question was already posted before and such an app doesn't exist yet. If it were possible though you could probably reuse the app for your entire product portfolio.

May 29, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #2,456 of 3,874
Few have disputed the stellar sound quality which is the primary function of this device.
which we don't get to hear through di.fm since they haven't enabled it. Thanks for the insightful comment; this goes in the bin with those who somehow feel like iRiver need people to speak for them.
@JasonNYC I have a question. I am currently in the process of buying a Tsuranagi for a stack with my SP3000 and also a ddHifi bag for more convenient carrying around of the DAP and when needed the stack. The only usability issue I'm seeing is that when the stack is in the bag then doing any kind of changes in the user interface will be really difficult.
A smartphone app that allows you to control the DAP via Bluetooth and additionally maybe Wifi would be great. I believe this question was already posted before and such an app doesn't exist yet. If it were possible though you could probably reuse the app for your entire product portfolio.
The combo has a chance of getting hot in the bag + you should enable line out on your AK which only leaves the Tsura as volume control, just sayin'

May 29, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #2,458 of 3,874
Definitely going to use Line Out. The SP3000 barely gets warm. So that would leave the Tsuranagi. I'm not sure how hot it gets. While I tested the device it seemed fine.
I've been listening to it while it charges and it does get somewhat hot; obviously in your case it won't get that hot but the issue is when these things work for some time they still should. If you stuff both into cases and then into a bag back to back you know. Also volume definitely won't work with lineout

May 29, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #2,459 of 3,874
what makes you think I don't
Seriously mate... there are so many great DAPs with open android out there, what are you getting fixated with wanting to change a private company's practices?

May 29, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #2,460 of 3,874
which we don't get to hear through di.fm since they haven't enabled it. Thanks for the insightful comment; this goes in the bin with those who somehow feel like iRiver need people to speak for them.

And I thank you for your insightful retort and this goes in the bin with a long list of those that feel it is much more productive to incessantly whine as opposed to purchase a DAP that will meet their needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back