Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
May 26, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #2,431 of 3,961
While your reasoning seems perfectly defendable on the surface I'm somehow against defending laziness. DI.FM would work perfectly well; not only that, it's a kickass service which I primarily wanna listen to. In 2023 I should be able to get that on a DAP that costs EUR4,300 in EU. It can be done, and easily.
I hear you but I don't think you are going to brick a device by installing apps, I never have. Worst case is a factory reset from recovery which is easy enough. I agree that A&K can have "supported apps" which they can provide some certainty that they will work (and provide support). But I don't see an advantage to restricting apps that will likely work just fine if installed (and of course they can be "unsupported"). Anyway, it's just my two cents... for people like me and @shznn who want to run other apps (which work just fine on A&K hardware)...
a DAP should be an electronic device that allows you to listen to your favorite music (both locally and with the best streaming audio services) with the highest audio quality.
And that's exactly what all A&K DAPs offer.
Using a closed software allows to always have control of what is installed, facilitating the correction of bugs that could affect the sound quality
If one wants to install a lot of apps , often unstable and useless , he can do it using his own smartphone , perhaps combined with a dongle . That is the ideal environment, not a DAP which is a MUSIC PLAYER.
Should I listen to radio via streaming, with my Jewel and my SP3000? Are we joking ?
For such a need, a mobile phone must be used, with headphones worth €50.

May 26, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #2,432 of 3,961
I often use the SP3000 in DAC mode on the PC with DAR on DSD and I really haven't noticed any signal noise: only when I'm playing Star Wars and no sound is being produced do I sometimes, very rarely actually hear very brief audio noise (I think white noise?). Outside of the game, however, I didn't notice it at all when I stayed longer without sound, but I didn't really try to pay attention to it either. I'll look into it more.

I'm using 24/192 with A&K latest driver (https://www.astellnkern.com/support/download_detail.jsp?bbsNo=364&searchParamUrl=bbsType=download&pageSize=10&page=1&langType=1), before that I had used the earlier version specific to SP3000. Buffer should be the lowest and not in safe mode.
Unfortunately none of that helps, already on that driver version and safe mode or samples lower makes it infinitely worse.

May 26, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #2,433 of 3,961
a DAP should be an electronic device that allows you to listen to your favorite music (both locally and with the best streaming audio services) with the highest audio quality.
Using a closed software allows to always have control of what is installed, facilitating the correction of bugs that could affect the sound quality
If one wants to install a lot of apps , often unstable and useless , he can do it using his own smartphone , perhaps combined with a dongle . That is the ideal environment, not a DAP which is a MUSIC PLAYER.
Should I listen to radio via streaming, with my Jewel and my SP3000? Are we joking ?

But you may actually be missing out on the highest sound quality, on the majority of other android DAPs I've had Neutron sounds better than the manufacturers own Music player and especially if your an EQ/PEQ user it wipes the floor with them. I won't mention A&K's EQ/PEQ.

May 27, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #2,434 of 3,961
My 2c on this one - I'm OK with the extent to which A&K have 'locked down' the device. I think focusing the unit around the very best possible performance (both speed and battery life) for the playback of high resolution audio is the priority. There's no lack of other-brand DAP manufacturers with more flexibility, but I'm glad A&K kept the main thing, the main thing.

May 27, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #2,435 of 3,961
Gotta love it when end users are defending corporations xD OK so where's my right to install whatever I want at my own risk on a device I bought

May 27, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #2,436 of 3,961
Gotta love it when end users are defending corporations xD OK so where's my right to install whatever I want at my own risk on a device I bought
Root it, just like many users did for their sp1000s and others. If you can't find a pre made, make it yourself if you're that unhappy. Or simply don't buy a product from a company that has a practice you don't like that they very clearly state before hand and haven't changed said policy in many years.

May 27, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #2,437 of 3,961
Root it, just like many users did for their sp1000s and others. If you can't find a pre made, make it yourself if you're that unhappy. Or simply don't buy a product from a company that has a practice you don't like that they very clearly state before hand and haven't changed said policy in many years.
yes thanks for the unwanted advice on what to do with my $ and life decisions. About the rooting, I am all for it. I've already done it on the sp1km but I'm not sure if it can be done on the sp1k. Telling me the correct software version or linking me to it would be amazing.

May 27, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #2,438 of 3,961
What right to install whatever you want? There is no such right. There never was. I would argue that open systems tend to be more successful in general but people might argue that Apple shows the opposite. Either way it has always been the choice of the OS/distribution creator how locked down their system is. Also there is millions of Apple fanboys. Why would you not expect there to be people that "prefer" a walled garden approach.

yes thanks for the unwanted advice on what to do with my $ and life decisions. About the rooting, I am all for it. I've already done it on the sp1km but I'm not sure if it can be done on the sp1k. Telling me the correct software version or linking me to it would be amazing.
Well what do you expect people to do? Unless you want people to start a boycott (good luck with that idea) I don't see what anybody can do about the situation regardless what each of us thinks. I personally would also prefer an open or at least less restrictive implementation of Android but I have no impact on AKs choices.

The only two realistic options you have is avoid AK products or find a way to root it. There is no alternative. Unless you believe screaming into the void will make any difference? Might as well post it on Twitter.

May 27, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #2,439 of 3,961
What right to install whatever you want? There is no such right. There never was. I would argue that open systems tend to be more successful in general but people might argue that Apple shows the opposite. Either way it has always been the choice of the OS/distribution creator how locked down their system is. Also there is millions of Apple fanboys. Why would you not expect there to be people that "prefer" a walled garden approach.

Well what do you expect people to do? Unless you want people to start a boycott (good luck with that idea) I don't see what anybody can do about the situation regardless what each of us thinks. I personally would also prefer an open or at least less restrictive implementation of Android but I have no impact on AKs choices.

The only two realistic options you have is avoid AK products or find a way to root it. There is no alternative. Unless you believe screaming into the void will make any difference? Might as well post it on Twitter.
I'm not expecting anything; I just wanna listen to DI.FM on my AK and I don't believe it's difficult. If you wanna put up with whatever you got that's your choice and yes defending corporations whose bottom line I care nothing about is cringe

May 27, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #2,440 of 3,961
I'm not expecting anything; I just wanna listen to DI.FM on my AK and I don't believe it's difficult. If you wanna put up with whatever you got that's your choice and yes defending corporations whose bottom line I care nothing about is cringe
It serves the purpose I have for it. The moment it doesn't I will buy a different device that does.

I don't defend corporations. I'm just realistic about my ability to make them change. But crying about it on a forum and talking down to other users of the forum is much more cringe.

So have a good day.

May 27, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #2,441 of 3,961
It serves the purpose I have for it. The moment it doesn't I will buy a different device that does.

I don't defend corporations. I'm just realistic about my ability to make them change. But crying about it on a forum and talking down to other users of the forum is much more cringe.

So have a good day.
Great, you can go brag to someone that it serves the purpose as I really have no use for that information. As I said I want di.fm and you can feel free not to reply to me if it disturbs you :)

May 27, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #2,443 of 3,961
Open inherit much more danger. You would then cry about system failure. Everybody knows what you can expect from SP3000: Great musicality! No more no less. It is not totally open!? So what!!! If it does not suit your needs - go buy something else!!!

What danger? From installing Android apps on an Android device?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back