Asgard too much for Nuforce NE-700X?
Sep 29, 2012 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chewy4

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm currently waiting for an Asgard amp to arrive for another pair of headphones, and I was wondering if it would be possible to run these off of it. I've heard you can damage headphones if you put too much power into them.

I know it's completely unnecessary, but I can't plug them into the back of my computer since the cord is too short so it would be nice to actually be able to use them on my computer again.

NE-700xSpecs:

1. Impedance: 16 Ohms
  2. Max. Input Power: 10m W
  3. Rated Power: 3m W
  4. Sensitivity: 105 dB+/-3dB

Asgard Specs:

1. Gain: 5(14db)
  2. Maximum Output: 20V P-P typ.
  3. Output Impedence 1Ohm
  4. Headphone Impedance: 8-600Ohm

So do you guys think it would damage my IEMs or not?

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 7
All I can say is that it'd really hurt at first. Tried to put my W4s into the Lyr...Not trying that again. It wasn't at a high enough volume to the point where the IEMs would be damaged, but I do worry at times. I'd imagine the Asgards to be a bit better. Do they have gain control? I can't seem to remember.

As long as you watch the volume knob, I'd think it'd be fine, just not at all ideal or even necessary.

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 7
I used my Brainwavz M2 with my V200 amp before :) If the Asgard has small steps when the volume knob increases it should be fine. It may get real loud too low in the volume knob depending on the amp however. Typically these amps are not meant for iem's however so they may get too loud too fast. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 7
My IEMs work fine with my EF5, but Tubes and IEMs don't match well so... If you want an amp for IEMs only, you will have much better luck with smaller amps. The ODAC+O2 is a killer combo and has PLENTY of power, but works amazingly well with most IEMs minus the ER-4S. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 7
Well I'm not really  looking for an amp for IEMs, as these run great without one... just got the amp for my HE-400.

It actually works fine off the Asgard in regards to not exploding. I'm able to adjust the volume anywhere from very quiet to a level where it probably would get damaged, but it gets too loud at like 9:30. Asgard seems to have a sensitive enough volume knob where this works just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back