Are you a console or PC gamer?
Nov 7, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #736 of 969
I was both for awhile and stopped playing PC games around 2007.
It got too expensive for me. At the time I bought an expensive graphics card and some games still wouldn't play well.
I think this was possibly when the Geforce 8400 was considered very good and Half Life 2 was going to be released soon.
I also had to stop my addictions of constantly upgrading my PC. It was never enough and I kept throwing so much money at it.
Now I get only what I need and believe it or not that is a Core i3-6100 :dt880smile: I must have like a dozen hard drives though.
Pathetic that I still use onboard video too and only need 8gb of ram.

I still remember the days when you had to have a 2d AND 3d card to play games!
I remember once having two Voodoo2 cards. Why two? You got to run games at 800x600 instead or lower resolutions if I remember right.
I actually bought a PC because of DOOM!
Remember also those days where it was impossible to run most DOS games under Windows 3.11?

One reason I don't use my PC for gaming is that I need it for work and it's constantly in use. I could multitask, but I do a lot of video encoding and burning of DVD-Rs.

There is another big reason too...My TV is a LOT bigger!
I prefer not to connect my PC to a TV.
My desktop display is only a 24" at a max of 1920x1200.

Sadly no 4k TV for me yet and I was forced to sell my PS4. Hope to score another by the end of the year.
Sometimes I feel like i'm the only person in the USA without a 4k TV! They're so common and cheap now.
No name brands for $198.
LOL! I remember the first Windows PCs, but our first PC was a Wang that only ran DOS and had a whopping 4MB harddrive. :D With the newer PCs I played the original DOOM until my eyes bled. And Wolfenstein 3D.

These days I stick to my PS4 because I had too many crashes with my last gaming PC. Constantly got the 'blue screen of death' (yep, it was running Vista, lol!) and when it kept crashing after a $1,000 upgrade, I just had enough and switched to consoles. The PS2 initially, PS3 soon after and got a PS4 a few months after it was first released. Been pretty happy with it, although I miss some aspects of PC gaming. Will have a good think when the PS5 comes out next year, whether to upgrade or switch back to PC.

Nov 7, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #737 of 969
I play always on pc,i have now the msi ge 63 raider laptop with rtx 2070 ,144hz screen i7 8750 processor
I have played on a desktop pc but now i have no place for that.
I sit in a sofa with the laptop on a laptop desk and thats fine

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #738 of 969
Mainly PC these days, lukcily my 970 GTX has lasted the test of time and can still play nearly all games on high, not 4k or ultra but still great. For strategy games and city builders need a PC!

A bit of PS4 here and there, was a big XBOX 360 fan for couch/friends gaming back in the day especially when they had free games every month, but not seeing the depth in gaming these days.

Dec 27, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #740 of 969
Was a PS4 guy, and still am, but I felt the need to up my game (pun intended) so I recently went for a AIO cooled i9 9900k and RTX 2080 Ti with 32GB RAM, 4TB of SSD goodness and a Rift-S for VR

Man, Elite Dangerous in VR is really something to behold

My main gaming is race sims though and Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally 1 and 2, and Project Cars 2 are absolutely beautiful in VR.

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #743 of 969
Nice! I've got a 7700k and SLI 980Ti's. I've had those 980Ti's since 2015! They've been great cards but I can no longer run most new games in 4k and even 1440p is pushing it. I intend to drop in a 2080Ti before spring or I may see if they bring in a new generation this upcoming year. I own all the other consoles except the Switch and I want a new Switch Lite so bad! I'll have one before Christmas I suspect. It's time. I loved my 3DS and all the versions of it.
Just a little update I picked up a Switch a couple weeks ago and couldn't be happier with it. All those 1st party Nintendo exclusives are worth the price of admission easily. I picked up Breath Of The Wild, Mario Odessey and Smash, but I coud've easily spent another $300 and got another 6 games I want. I didn't get the Lite version though I do only play in handheld mode, just the novelty of it being such a powerful handheld keeps me in that mode. Once you plug it into the TV it loses what makes it special IMO.

Feb 13, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #745 of 969
all pc, in fact i just ordered a iKBC CD87 Mechanical Keyboard with Cherry MX Brown Switch. coming from a 1986 ibm model m mechanical kboard. I've been in PC since Wolfenstein 3D. I got into building them back in 2006. I still have the original call of duty 1 call of duty United offensive and call of duty 2 multipack. call of duty 4 modern warfare. call of duty world at war. another game we can't mention here. Screenshot_20200213-064921_Chrome.png20150826_191324.jpgFB_IMG_15620929689155073.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #746 of 969
I am a console gamer.

I started console gaming in 1979. The first console was a Pong type system by Binatone called the TV Master. I cannot recall which version but I remember it was black and orange.

The next console, bought as a Christmas present in 1980/81, was the Atari VCS. This came with the PAC-Man game. This gave me untold hours of gaming fun and this console had a large number of games available for it.

Next up, around 1985, was actually a computer; the ZX Spectrum+ 48K. Although a basic home computer, it was used predominantly just for gaming. There were literally thousands of games for this machine. It also introduced me to the first console war I am aware of. This had ZX Spectrum owners and Commodore 64 owners at each other’s throats over which machine was better.

Next for me was the Saga Megadrive (Genesis in US). Loads of great games for this console. Favourites on this were probably FIFA international soccer and Mortal Kombat.

Then the list of consoles owned goes:
Play Station
Play Station 2
Sega Dreamcast
Nintendo Game Cube
Nintendo Wii
XBox 360
Play Station 3
Play Station 4
Nintendo Wii U
Play Station 4 Pro

I just like consoles. I have nothing against PC gaming, and I accept that gaming PC’s are better in virtually all respects. But for me I just do not want a gaming PC.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #747 of 969
Started as a PC gamer, then PC and console, then exclusively console when my PC fell far behind in the power stakes and I lost interest in upgrading hardware.

Now however I'm both at the moment thanks to Nvidia and GeForce Now. If you have a decent connection (50mbps recommended) though at my office I can get 35mbps and I have very few quality drops. YMMV of course. Personally I think it's a damn, damn good service. Been using it since the Beta and now it's gone live I will definitely recommended it for $5 a month. Now if they could only get Activision Blizzard and Bethesda to play nice so they can bring back their games back on the service.

In terms of the availability of games there's a decent spread but it's missing some big titles and some games are only available to play through GeForce Now through certain services. Some games are only available through Steam which if you've bought it anywhere else means you're SOL, but some you can play from Steam and Uplay or Steam and Epic.

If you want to get back into PC gaming and have a decent connection and don't have much money to spend on a PC or upgrades to your current PC then check out GeForce Now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back