Are you a console or PC gamer?
Apr 13, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #526 of 968

I just want to be clear (for those who are not familiar) that Dolby Atmos places speakers above you as well, so it's 3D, so to speak. It could be considered surround sound, but it's not like most surround sound systems.

Yes, that's what the third digit specifies.  5.1.2 = a 5.1 setup but with two top speakers in addition.  This combined with the object based spatial sound processing is what makes it work.  I wonder what's next, upward facing speakers mounted below you?

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #528 of 968
Apr 13, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #529 of 968
Blue screen of lame. Windows 10 is by far my favorite Windows operating system, but that darn blue screen randomly appears too often (forcing my computer to restart) and I don't know how to prevent it.

There is a 22.2 surround sound standard that places speakers in three layers to simulate height cues.

Looks like those place the speakers at a distance, with some being below. I was thinking of having them directly below, though.

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #530 of 968
  Blue screen of lame. Windows 10 is by far my favorite Windows operating system, but that darn blue screen randomly appears too often (forcing my computer to restart) and I don't know how to prevent it.

Have you diagnosed what's causing it? You need to know the cause to be able to prevent it. Google 'solve bsod' to get some guidande. Check your ram, disks, temperatures, malware etc. Correctly working hardware with malware free and correctly functioning software (drivers+Windows installation) wont cause any bsods. Consider doing a clean Windows install if you think there's some issue in the software.

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #531 of 968
  Have you diagnosed what's causing it? You need to know the cause to be able to prevent it. Google 'solve bsod' to get some guidande. Check your ram, disks, temperatures, malware etc. Correctly working hardware with malware free and correctly functioning software (drivers+Windows installation) wont cause any bsods. Consider doing a clean Windows install if you think there's some issue in the software.

Any number of things could cause it. I don't care enough to do anything about it.

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #532 of 968
W10 has a lot of incompatibilities with older hardware - forced obsolescence from micro$oft. you might be better off going to W7 - at least you won't have mirco$oft looking over your shoulder every time you need to change a system setting.

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #533 of 968
  W10 has a lot of incompatibilities with older hardware - forced obsolescence from micro$oft. you might be better off going to W7 - at least you won't have mirco$oft looking over your shoulder every time you need to change a system setting.

My computer originally came with Windows 7. I got a free upgrade to Windows 10 and love it. I don't mind the few downsides I've noticed.

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #534 of 968

MS has been aggressively pushing for Windows 10. I wouldn't count on 7 to be active for too much longer (or at least supported).W10 is a pain in the ass at times, especially being so damn commercialized, but ultimately its the safer bet. Most hardware issues have been sorted out by drivers at this point. 

That said, I miss Windows 7 myself. I hate how much advertising and garbage 10 throws down your throat at times.

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #535 of 968
  MS has been aggressively pushing for Windows 10. I wouldn't count on 7 to be active for too much longer

Microsoft released this fact sheet, stating they will continue support for windows 7 until 2020.

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #536 of 968

MS has been aggressively pushing for Windows 10. I wouldn't count on 7 to be active for too much longer

Microsoft released this fact sheet, stating they will continue support for windows 7 until 2020.

supporting 7 for critical updates and pushing for win10 seem to really go hand in hand as they use the updates to annoy the hell out of us until we break. I've spent years without any sort of trouble that I didn't create myself on win7, in the "get win 10 free" year long war, I've had all sorts of problems. the firewall being spammed by the update and spy processes, so I got rid of those, but then widows update itself starting working like crazy while doing nothing and made my 2 computers a good 10° warmer until I gave in and allowed some of the spying crap to be installed. if all those problems are only accidents, they sure happened at the most convenient time. and then we had all the dishonest tricks they pulled that year. automatic upgrade of the OS without asking, unnecessary spyware component flagged as security updates, confusing icons... all that compliment of the updates. there is nothing saying that they won't keep doing that kind of stuff until 2020.
plus all the things they never cared to update on 7, like bluetooth LE standard to name something potentially related to audio. support can mean a lot of things sadly.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #537 of 968
I've been modding PCs since the mid 90s, spent more than I would possibly like to calculate on parts to build the fastest rig (just for the sake of it some cases, hacking old Celeron processors to work in a dual cpu motherboard for example). Games would run like lightening if they could make use of the mods, along with the associated mega cooling needed etc.

I then went on to a career in software engineering which meant sitting at a desk with a variety of computers for many hours a day, the last thing I wanted to do was to sit at a PC again if I wanted to unwind with a video game.

Consoles to me (and I started with a PS1 purely to play Gran Turismo / F1 etc) may well have less visually stunning versions of the same games on a PC, but oddly I prefer using them over my PC. The different user interfaces, quality of the controllers etc disconnect me from the PC world and for me thats a good thing.

Plus, if I feel the need to upgrade then flogging the old one on eBay and getting the latest version is no more than the cost of a mediocre PC graphics card. Game backwards compatibility is an issue, but not being a game hoarder its not a massive issue for me.

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #538 of 968
I kinda get that. My PC is school and work as well. My Xbox is there solely for entertainment purposes. I still like gaming on the PC more, but there is no substitute for playing games on the couch or bed

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #539 of 968
I kinda get that. My PC is school and work as well. My Xbox is there solely for entertainment purposes. I still like gaming on the PC more, but there is no substitute for playing games on the couch or bed

But of course you can play PC games on the couch or the bed, so that's not an advantage exclusive to consoles.  Steam Big Picture mode is an interface designed for this, and a better interface than the one most consoles provide and you're not limited to Steam games on it (you can launch all your PC games through it).

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #540 of 968
But of course you can play PC games on the couch or the bed, so that's not an advantage exclusive to consoles.  Steam Big Picture mode is an interface designed for this, and a better interface than the one most consoles provide and you're not limited to Steam games on it (you can launch all your PC games through it).

Yeah. I know this. The last time I tried it however, I had to restart the game several times (New Vegas wasnt the best option for that). It was just more hassle than sliding the disc in and playing

Its merely a matter of convenience in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back