Are Triple.fi 10 Pros supposed to be muddy?
Jul 29, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #62 of 71
TF10 is very clear and precise from my experience. However, it did appear a bit muddy when I first got them. After about two day of burn-in, it became what it is now. (I did not use them on my ears during that period.)

I'm not sure if that's just my head playing with me or not, but I have no doubt that the TF10 is one of the most accurate IEMs out there.

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #63 of 71
While I generally liked the TF10PRO, it clearly had what I always referred to as a cloudy midrange.  Terrific bass, terrific, detailed treble but an almost flawed and cloudy midrange.  Not sure if this was intentional or not but certainly strange.

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #64 of 71
You may try EQing.  Many people try to seek more balance that what a product has to over by default.  EQing is a big way to get there if something robust enough is available which can sometimes be rare without spending some cash on something.

There is one thing I will suggest.  The Triple.Fi 10 runs a dual nozzle setup.  Unfortunately this creates some sensitivity to positioning in the ear.  This can become a time domain issue and create some incoherent nature with the sound.  Over the ear for mean creates this incoherence between the mid-treble driver and bass drivers.  They don't quite sound linked and the bass is a dominant presence.  I have come to prefer wearing them down instead, rotating it 180 degrees in the ear and having the earphone tucked against the ear facing backwards.  There are no reversed cords doing this either.  They simply hang down instead.  I tend to shape them forward a little as to prevent the cord weight from wanting to rotate the earphone in the ear.  It's not as secure, but what it does for me is sync the mid-treble and bass together better and brings the mid-treble forward and more inline with the lower frequencies.  Coherency goes up, and the whole presentation is just better.  I have a pic of what I mean

This provided improved coherency for me, but it's not something everyone experiences.  It really depends on how the earphone sits in the ear and how the canal is shaped.  It's just a solution I've found for that issue.  I realized it some time back and brought it up in a thread.  I was cautious about the accuracy of the claim, but it was something I repeated later on after trying to keep them worn up over the ear for a while.  Even the repeat showed that the presentation was just more coherent for me.

Now I would still EQ some in order to balance out the earphone.  Frankly, these things are amazing balanced.  They are fun left alone but get pretty critical evened out.  These have long been one of my favorite and well regarded earphones that I've owned.  These are earphones that I went back to after a slew of other products and was impressed by the quality of sound and level of refinement they offer.  Are they perfect, not quite, but they're darn good and in the handful of the best IEMs I've used to date.

As for the muddy comment, I will agree that these are actually slightly muddy in the bass department.  It's just that the notes are very thick in nature, very unusual for BA drivers, but if one carefully listens to the bass, it does tend to blurr a little bit, not much but some.  It's not enough to really care about and not as bad as some dynamic drivers by a long shot, but it is there if you choose to be critical about how it reproduces the notes.  I think it's just the thick nature of the notes that create that sense of muddiness with these earphones.  So few BA earphones are like this.  Something like the ER4S or Custom 3 offer thicker, more textured notes that step towards what the Triple.Fi 10 has, but it's not the same.  The Triple.Fi 10 offers an uncanny amount of body yet still articulation and detail that isn't really matched by any other product I've heard.

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #65 of 71

Quote:
Something like the ER4S or Custom 3 offer thicker, more textured notes that step towards what the Triple.Fi 10 has, but it's not the same.  The Triple.Fi 10 offers an uncanny amount of body yet still articulation and detail that isn't really matched by any other product I've heard.

Well put. The sound is warm, but it's tuned well enough not to be overbearing and the technicals are mostly there. For that class of universal IEMs, at any rate.

Jul 30, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #67 of 71
Personal I won't even call ER4S as 'razor sharp'. It does most things in a way that is both highly detail yet not invasive. Neutral in a very special way.

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #69 of 71
ClieOS - As far as "razor sharp" I was thinking relative to other IEM's.  Can you think of IEM's that are even more treble oriented?  Don't think I have heard any.  CK10?  REO?

Anyway, the amount of muddiness, treble, etc one hears with TF10Pro sems to vary from player to player and whether you are amping or not moreso than most other IEM's.

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #70 of 71
More or different?

For example, I see the CK10 and RE252 doing just as well as the Triple.Fi 10 in the treble region with a high level of detail and endless extension.  Each just presents the notes in a slightly different way.   The Triple.Fi 10 has a certain sweetness and air to it.  The RE252 is a little more neutral, natural but with good edge.  The CK10 is super detailed with a real sense of texture and articulation of note even at very high frequencies, but it doesn't share the same level of attack/edge of the Triple.Fi 10 or RE252.

There are a slew of other earphones that do extend well too.  My hearing drops at around 15kHz-16kHz, so my upper limit is that, but I've EQed and measured the frequency response of all the latest products I've owned and many of them do extend well into the upper treble region.  Some do noticeably roll off and need EQing.  Some lack quality in the upper regions or muddy a little despite having sensitivity there.  For example, the IE8 is actually well extended and doesn't really roll off up to the limits of my hearing.  However with its bass gearing, very high frequencies tend to soften and blur together a little.  The Custom 3's thicker notes tend to cause a similar issue.  It isn't bad, but there is noticeable loss of micro detail hidden under then thick texture.  Earphones like the Eterna or CK90Pro extend really well and have this sweet sparkle kind of note but lack sense of texture or complex information.  The MTPG extends well but is quite smooth and laid back in presence.  The SA6 is kind of like this too with a very smooth note.  The treble is there but it almost disappears into the mix.  There's sensitivity, there's information in all of these, but only a few options really give you a solid level of detail, information, and can present a desirable complex presentation.  The CK10, Triple.Fi 10, and RE252 are the few IEMs I've used that can really pull a high level of high frequency information off.

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #71 of 71
'Razor sharp' reminds me more of aggressiveness on presenting detail, and yet I don't find ER4S to be particularly aggressive. DBA-02 and RE-ZERO has more forwarded treble while EX700 pretty much put me on the the edge (mainly due to the harshness).

Quote:
ClieOS - As far as "razor sharp" I was thinking relative to other IEM's.  Can you think of IEM's that are even more treble oriented?  Don't think I have heard any.  CK10?  REO?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back