Are Sennheiser's really worth while?
Jul 2, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #61 of 81

Quote:
Dude you do realize the most important opinion is your own right? If you keep on changing your choices of HP based on other people's opinions w/o having heard any of the choices how are you ever going to choose? Just do some research on your own (not starting another thread) and form your own thoughts on what would be best and pull the trigger. Then once you hear the cans you buy and formulate your own opinions you can compare to all these other cans. Just choose one from about the 35 choices people have given you... They will all sound great the differences between them isnt like lets say eating fast food or going to a 4 star restaurant; its more like your choice is between multiple 4 star restaurants.

I really see what you're saying. I do kinda hate the point that everyone is like "get these." then someone is like, "naw man, get these!" But see, I don't know where to try these headphones, especially the Ultrasone's. So it's like I have to get other peoples opinions. So, yeah.

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #62 of 81
Perhaps some of us are at that stage where we recommend one of the (few) headphones we've tried just because it doesnt "suck" at the specified genre but we still love it.
rolleyes.gif

That said, the Ultrasones are going to be the most fun, forward, extreme headphone based on the consensus I was told. Suits your preferences (and mine) the most IMO.

To answer the qustion about Sennheisers, I wasn't impressed by the laid back, darkish sound of the 555 and 558s. Maybe the 598 would sing me a new tune but I guess that general sound isn't for me. But hey, don't be so quick to judge, maybe I like coloration.
tongue.gif

Quote:

... I'm not sure why coloration would be something desirable.

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #64 of 81
Go for the PROs, like I've said Ultrasone is the king of metal IMO. I can't comment on the 940, but most shures are neutral which would be a bit boring for metal.

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #65 of 81

Quote:
Go for the PROs, like I've said Ultrasone is the king of metal IMO. I can't comment on the 940, but most shures are neutral which would be a bit boring for metal.

X2 And people thought I was crazy to be recommending Ultrasone for metal back a year ago. I personally would get a PRO 550 for the soundstage and the HFI 580 for a more aggressive sound.

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #68 of 81
Excellent, please consult your wallet before you visit this site the pictures thread :)

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #70 of 81
Haha yeah man, I heard that that headband hurts like the fury of a thousand suns! lol XD Oh and since I just recently read about the headband. I BELIEVE now, hopefully my mind doesn't change again, but the Beyerdynamics seem like a great second choice, the comfortability level on those has got to be over 9000 (LOL). And I hear they are amazing. I just dunno if they are neutral or what. I still have another week before I get my cans. Gotta wait for my paycheck lol.

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #71 of 81
Hey guys, I was just wondering. I travel quite a bit. And I was thinking about getting the Ultrasone PRO-550's for $150 and then getting a pair of T3 (Tron IEM's by Monster) for portable use. Is that dumb or is it a good idea? I'd like to know your opinions. If anyone is still noticing this thread 
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #74 of 81
Hmmm because Sennheiser relies on marketing and branding in their 'low-tier' products (below HD600), and the HD600 and above still have a certain Sennheiser sound signature that is not to everyone's liking, certainly not mine, and I don't think yours either!

Before I got into headphones, I thought the expensive Sennheiser (that you see in normal shops, up to HD595) were top-tier, how naive I was then!  Lucky I obsessively researched headphones for a week (like 5-10 hours a day) before I bought the Sony SA-5000, which was much more suited to my sonic preference!  It's all history from there, I've tried different headphones like Stax, and really got into IEM's.

I don't really like the "Grado sound" either, or how they look.

Anyway, I checked your music taste and read the thread, I agree with the opinions and conclusions here.

Just tell me, do you want bass and umph, a lively sound, or do you want high detail and dynamics, with shimmering cymbals and vocals? (in your screamo, metal, etc.)

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #75 of 81
I want a big soundstage. I want it to be clear, crisp sound. I'm not a basshead, but I would like to be able to hear that double bass going in bands like The Devil Wears Prada. I just don't want it hitting on my ears with a sledgehammer like the beats do. But -key point right here- I also listen to Frank Sinatra, Michael Bublé and also music like deadmau5 and Daft Punk. I guess I want a neutral sound. That can do everything. I just don't want muddy bass, or bright sounding headphones after burn-in, or bass drowning out the mids. I want all of this with a budget of $225 max. I think I found them. The Shure SRH-940's, or the Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium 32 Ohm Version, or, for some reason I can't get those, the Ultrasone PRO-550's as back ups. IYO, which would you prefer, they all have a somewhat neutral, if not neutral sound? Do you have any experience with those headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back