Are Sennheiser's really worth while?
Jun 26, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #16 of 81
Okay so, my choices still remain the same. Now I just need a little help on picking which one to go with.

UPDATE: Just found a pair of Ultrasone PRO 550's for $190! IMO, STEAL!! (and they are the silver ones, not the god awful ugly blue ones (IMO) XD

You guys think I should get those??? Lemme hear your opinions! PEOPLE WHO HAVE PRO 550's, LET ME KNOW IF THESE HEADPHONES ARE WORTH THE MONEY!
Thank you! :D

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #17 of 81
I don't have the 550, but I have the PRO2900, out of everything I've tried its my best metal phone. Grado was good, but I'd stay clear of Sennheiser and Audio Technica's AD/A series. Stick to Ultrasone and Denon. Ultrasone will be superior because the Slogic helps seperate the instruments. They also maintain impressive speed with a decent ammount of bass.

I haven't tried any of them, but I'd stay away from headphones like Shures which are neutral, you need a colored sound for metal IMO.

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #18 of 81

Quote:
I don't have the 550, but I have the PRO2900, out of everything I've tried its my best metal phone. Grado was good, but I'd stay clear of Sennheiser and Audio Technica's AD/A series. Stick to Ultrasone and Denon. Ultrasone will be superior because the Slogic helps seperate the instruments. They also maintain impressive speed with a decent ammount of bass.

I haven't tried any of them, but I'd stay away from headphones like Shures which are neutral, you need a colored sound for metal IMO.

So do you know if ALL of the ultrasone headphones give me colored sound?

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #19 of 81

Quote:
Ultrasone will be superior because the Slogic helps seperate the instruments

It works worse than many competitor, that don't use this S-logic thing. It's just a marketing gimmick (according to many reviews). I'm not sure why coloration would be something desirable.

Jun 26, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #20 of 81

Quote:

It works worse than many competitor, that don't use this S-logic thing. It's just a marketing gimmick (according to many reviews). I'm not sure why coloration would be something desirable.

Can you think of someone who can give me a straight answer? (if there is such a thing) and what competitor would be better than the S-Logic?

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #22 of 81
hey OP, I can't recommend you a headphone for your genres, but I would like to advise you against choosing a pair by brand
It's much wiser to talk about specific models; the whole "house sound" argument can really be untrue.

E.g. Sennheiser HD650 is warm, sounds "big", but HD 25-1 is neutral/slightly bright, forward.
Audio Technica AD700 is neutral/bass-light, A900 is warm.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #23 of 81

Quote:
hey OP, I can't recommend you a headphone for your genres, but I would like to advise you against choosing a pair by brand
It's much wiser to talk about specific models; the whole "house sound" argument can really be untrue.

E.g. Sennheiser HD650 is warm, sounds "big", but HD 25-1 is neutral/slightly bright, forward.

Even better... the HD650 is warm and laid back but the HD800 (so I've heard) is bright.

I don't know about other models, but I love my HD650's to death.  The improved in clarity with some Silver Dragon V3 cable, but I sometimes melt just listening to them.  I love listening to the sound signature as much as I enjoy listening to the actual music.  I'd listen to the previous post though, you can't judge a headphone based solely upon brand.  

The headphone's vary like families do.  They all look alike, and may carry certain traits that make them a family, but in the end they're all unique people.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #24 of 81

Quote:

Even better... the HD650 is warm and laid back but the HD800 (so I've heard) is bright.

I don't know about other models, but I love my HD650's to death.  The improved in clarity with some Silver Dragon V3 cable, but I sometimes melt just listening to them.  I love listening to the sound signature as much as I enjoy listening to the actual music.  I'd listen to the previous post though, you can't judge a headphone based solely upon brand.  

The headphone's vary like families do.  They all look alike, and may carry certain traits that make them a family, but in the end they're all unique people.

Quote:

I understand what you to are saying but do you mind explaining to me what you mean by "warm" I don't understand that. lol I'm such a noob! But, we all learn it eventually. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #25 of 81

Quote:

I understand what you to are saying but do you mind explaining to me what you mean by "warm" I don't understand that. lol I'm such a noob! But, we all learn it eventually. 

Warm means it has more emphasis on the lower end....not as much on the treble side.

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #26 of 81

Quote:
I have some AKG, Ultrasone, Denon, Superlux, Koss, etc. Yes, most Sennheiser headphones are really worth while. I consider my HD598 the best sounding headphone I have. If I could I would buy the HD800 which I tested at a friends house. The LCD-2 are a close contender (and cheaper) for me.

But, that's just me. The HD598 just does it for me.

LCD-2 is not a close contender!, in fact i think it's slightly superior in every possible way, except less sound stage, but better imaging. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #27 of 81

Quote:
So are you saying I should spend an extra 30 or 40 buck and go with the hd598's? How much better are they than the 595's? Do you know? Idk if you know or not but I am only 16, I am about to turn 17 and I know what the 598's look like. I just want to be sure I can take these with me wherever I go and not get them dirty or scratched; or at least not notice it. Those headphones just look like they would be for home use only. Plus the down side is is that they are meant to be ran through an amp. Which mean I have to spend ANOTHER $20 or $30 on an amp that might not even improve the sound that much...

Sennheiser replace the 595 with much more expensive 598 for a reason. The 598's sound stage and mids are just incredible. However it's on the side of bass shy. So not sure it would shine with crazy bass guitars. And the other thing is you can't really take these with you "everywhere" i see people wear 555/595 on street. It's just looks funy since they are so Huge, with extremely long cable that you have to tuck in ur pocket. And due to it's open back design, everyone can hear whatever you were hearing. So not a good idea : )

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #28 of 81

Quote:
Do you have any headphones that are sub $200 that you would recommend I take a look at for my genre? Are any of the headphones I posted on this thread any good for that kind of music? 

hmm, checkout the M50 from ATH, and Shure 840/940. Beyer 770, Sennheiser HD25.

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #29 of 81
Soooo I think I'm going with the HFI-680 orrrrrr the HD598's. It just has to be one of those. the 598's are $30 over budget but look amazing and just uber sexy. I am willing to spend that much extra for the look (that may sound silly) But either one of those look sexy. Now, it just depends on which one would sound better for metal. Yes I do know the HD598's are very neutral (if my memory serves me right, please correct me if I'm wrong) and the HFI-680's are neutral as well. (again, correct if wrong)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back