Are Sennheiser's really worth while?
Jun 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

iamfir

New Head-Fier
I just have a real quick question. BUT I would LOVE a detailed explanation. Are the Sennheiser's really as good as people make them out to be? I have another thread (my ONLY other one lol) talking about me getting a new pair of headphones and so far I have the Sennheiser's HD555 and modding them to be a 595. Then the ATH-A900's, Denon D1100, and the Ultrasone HFI-780's. I want to know if the Sennheiser's are good for my genre (screamo, deathcore, metalcore, etc.) or if one of the other pairs above are better. Please don't mention Grado's, I do not want those. I want closed or open air, around the ear, headphones. 

Thank you :)

P.S. - Money limit is $200 dollars MAX. I do know the A900's are almost there but I'm still considering them...

Jun 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 81
I have some AKG, Ultrasone, Denon, Superlux, Koss, etc. Yes, most Sennheiser headphones are really worth while. I consider my HD598 the best sounding headphone I have. If I could I would buy the HD800 which I tested at a friends house. The LCD-2 are a close contender (and cheaper) for me.

But, that's just me. The HD598 just does it for me.

Jun 26, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 81
So are you saying I should spend an extra 30 or 40 buck and go with the hd598's? How much better are they than the 595's? Do you know? Idk if you know or not but I am only 16, I am about to turn 17 and I know what the 598's look like. I just want to be sure I can take these with me wherever I go and not get them dirty or scratched; or at least not notice it. Those headphones just look like they would be for home use only. Plus the down side is is that they are meant to be ran through an amp. Which mean I have to spend ANOTHER $20 or $30 on an amp that might not even improve the sound that much...

Jun 26, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 81
Hey, didn't know both. You are a lucky young man having these kind of headphones.

Considering mobility, I would not recommend them. They are open, they don't seal at all. They will get dirty I guess. Certainly home use prefered.

Jun 26, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 81
I doubt that the hd598 is good especially for "screamo, deathcore, metalcore, etc.".
I'd say it's more a headphone that is decent for most genres, but "excellent" only for vocals and perhaps relaxing music too.  Search for something with better clarity.

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 81

My impression from this quote is really "something with better volume or dynamics"  not clarity. I am not sure what is "clarity" would be with screamo, deathcore, metalcore 
Quote:
I doubt that the hd598 is good especially for "screamo, deathcore, metalcore, etc.".
I'd say it's more a headphone that is decent for most genres, but "excellent" only for vocals and perhaps relaxing music too.  Search for something with better clarity.

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 81
All this kind of music are "aggressive", and I doubt they have a lot of dynamic (maybe lot of them are heavy compressed). The hd595 is too "relaxing" to suit this  kind of music, IMHO.

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 81

Quote:
All this kind of music are "aggressive", and I doubt they have a lot of dynamic (maybe lot of them are heavy compressed). The hd595 is too "relaxing" to suit this  kind of music, IMHO.

Do you have any headphones that are sub $200 that you would recommend I take a look at for my genre? Are any of the headphones I posted on this thread any good for that kind of music? 

Jun 26, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 81
I've listened a lot to the hd595 (which are more or less similar to hd598). The thing is they are "all rounder", but I  doubt you'd find them that good with the particular genres you are listing. It's just too relaxing for me , even with song craving for aggressivity...  Can't help much more, I'm looking myself for another pair of headphones.

Jun 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 81

Quote:
Do you have any headphones that are sub $200 that you would recommend I take a look at for my genre? Are any of the headphones I posted on this thread any good for that kind of music? 

Heya,

Actually the HD580 & HD600 used go for $200 and less (HD580 goes for less, but is less common, still crops up this forum in the for sale section once every few days though it seems) and are quite good for what you're after. You'll want an amp (portable or not). But otherwise, the quality difference when you step past the 595 and 598 and enter the (older) HD580 or HD600 is excellent. I've put a lot of metal through mine and found them to work quite nicely. I definitely find open air cans to be superior for metal and music like it, the sound stage really makes a better listening experience to me.

Very best,

Jun 26, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #11 of 81
Hmmm, I wish this was simpler >.< gah they just loooove making you fight over which headphones to get... ugh. So, my new list is as follows (in order from least wanting to most wanting): Sennheiser hd555 (with mod), the ATH-A900, Denon D1100, and then the Ultrasone HFI-680's. Are there any brands I do not know of that are awesome? (they can be foreign, brands like, beyerdynamic, or ultrasone)

Jun 26, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #12 of 81
These are not full size headphone but there's the Aiaiai TMA-1 (you'd buy them just for the incredible  look, but they have a decent sound too).
You didn't mention the big brands akg, grados, shure, but there are others that are not widely distributed ("fisher audio", "german maestro", alessandro ...).

Jun 26, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #13 of 81
well, i can't comment on the 598's or 595's but i've just gotten a pair of 428's (moded for better bass) and i'm sitting here with my Koss PortaPro's burning in next to me listening to Omerta by lamb of god. the thump of the base combined with the clarity of the highs and mids and the massive sound stage are A W E S O M E. just a hint though, you'll need to burn them in for a while before you get rid of a crackle that happens in the top area of the freq spectrum. i burn mine in every other night (gonna do it for a week) alternating with my PortaPro's. incredibly good investment for $80

Jun 26, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #14 of 81
Here are some additional options for you to consider:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

JVC HARX700, HARX900

Sennheiser HD448

Shure SRH440

Ultrasone HFi-580

With all of these options you'll find they sound great from almost any portable source(an ipod for example) and some nice sound isolation that will make ideal for outdoor use.

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #15 of 81

Quote:
Here are some additional options for you to consider:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

JVC HARX700, HARX900

Sennheiser HD448

Shure SRH440

Ultrasone HFi-580

With all of these options you'll find they sound great from almost any portable source(an ipod for example) and some nice sound isolation that will make ideal for outdoor use.

In my first thread, I discuss the M50's and the Shure's. those people did not agree with them based on the kind of music I listen to (being screamo and deathcore). Thank you for the other recs though :) I will gladly check 'em out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back