Are my ears broken!!!!
Sep 9, 2010 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

loonacy

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a set of Denon AH-D5000 headphones (about 20 hours on them now).  I am listening through a 32gb Ipod touch using lossless format.  Ok here is the issue.  I have a PA2V2 portable amp and was using that with the denon's until my new amp showed up today YEAH.  I got a Matrix M-stage today and I tried it out as soon as I busted it out of the box. 

Ok I COULD NOT tell the difference at all between the two amps.  In fact the PA2V2 sounded a TINY bit better.  I did a blind test on my wife switching the 2 amps and she also picked the PA2V2.  Are we crazy?  Also there are jumpers switches on the back of the M-stage that are OFF right now, should i adjust them?  Does it need burn in time?  The PA2V2 was $56 and the M-stage was $250 did I waste the money?

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 9
I'd say you need to try it with a better source. It may be that the Matrix is just showing up defects in your iPod's output more than the cheaper amp. I think it's pretty common for less good source components to favour amplifiers that are less transparent and don't show up all their faults. If they don't sound any different then I still don't think that means you wasted your cash, because it doesn't mean they won't sound different when fed with a proper hi-fi source.Also try setting the gain at 10db (jumpers), I think the Matrix sounds a lot better with more gain.

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 9
I set the amp to 10db and it sounded a TON better.  And after a careful comparision the matrix did sound "smoother".  Its the only way to really describe it.  Everything seemed to sound right.  The PA2V2 seemed to make things sound "tinny".  Thank you for the quick response.

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 9
You may need more time to accustom yourself to the sound. I have great difficulty determining the difference when A/B'ing, even when the equipment involved is many levels apart in quality. For example: my old MS1s versus an extremely cheap pair of Sony headphones, or my D7000s versus the M50s.

I thought my ears were broken too at first, but then found out that it's just easier for me if I take time out (maybe several hours or even days) and listen exclusively to one. Then when I switch to the other, the difference is very noticeable.

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 9
Word here from someone who started out just like you did (and who still considers himself a noob in some ways): GOING UP the ladder never seems to make as big a difference as when you go CLIMB DOWN.

Switching to new gear, I always always double guess myself on the purchase. I then take some time listening exclusively to the new unit, and when I step back down (and by down I do not necessarily mean the $$$ spent, get that out of your head because it is dangerous!), I realize that I wasn't hearing some things before (kinda like you don't know what you've got till it's gone).

Sep 10, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 9
Yep, a lot of good equipment sounds unremarkable at first. Surprisingly, it is often a good sign. When something isn't making mistakes or is deliberately colored (you'd be surprised at how much gear is) then it doesn't sound like much at first listen. It's when you go back to something worse that its mistakes begin to stand out. Give it some more time.

Another factor is level matching. Unless you carefully level match, the louder item always sounds better. It's another human brain trick.

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 9

Just shows that in the real world there is very little between SS amps.

If you want a different (notice I did not say better) sound then change DAC's.

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I just got a set of Denon AH-D5000 headphones (about 20 hours on them now).  I am listening through a 32gb Ipod touch using lossless format.  Ok here is the issue.  I have a PA2V2 portable amp and was using that with the denon's until my new amp showed up today YEAH.  I got a Matrix M-stage today and I tried it out as soon as I busted it out of the box. 

Ok I COULD NOT tell the difference at all between the two amps.  In fact the PA2V2 sounded a TINY bit better.  I did a blind test on my wife switching the 2 amps and she also picked the PA2V2.  Are we crazy?  Also there are jumpers switches on the back of the M-stage that are OFF right now, should i adjust them?  Does it need burn in time?  The PA2V2 was $56 and the M-stage was $250 did I waste the money?

u should definitely  let it burn in for at least a couple days, 
that will help little,

personally i think the matrix  can bea  bit boring for music with no gain, it punches more and gives the appearance  of a thicker sound when the gain is implemented.    i have done a lot of a/b with matrix.    i really love the features on matrix(having 2 inputs is now a must and the separate gain for each channel is very welcomed not only for its sonic improvement imo, but for the fact u can take it easy on one ear or the other.
it is very neutral but i thought that my vinyl sounded better on hdp and lisaIII even when the gain was  implemented and bass was not implemented on lisa.
although test were done with a 2m hero from hdp as dac, but i have a/b 1m and 2m hero cable and heard no difference. 
      i just cant seem to get over the matrix  2 input features,  using  a second digital reciever/dac   i feed  up to 3 sources into the matrix input 1 and then the hdp with its 3 sources  usb (computer), toslink(hdmi 2 lcd 2  toslink 2 hdp), and analog(technic1200)  all into matrix input 2.
     i then can switch sources super easy with matrix,   but  best i can listen to Dvr or tt and play xbox and switch between with a flick of the matrix front panel switch. 
   so i am quite smitten with multiple inputs, sucks 2 because  now after having owned matrix i keep passing up awesome amps because they only have one input:frowning2:
and i would serioulsy like to read a lehman/matrix a/b???  but then again dangit the lehman has only one input, but still has the L/R gain

just to add i always wanted to try that pa2v2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back