Are iPods a no-go for audiophiles?
Feb 22, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #241 of 329
Apple will be switching to 24-bit audio for their itunes store... expect better dacs in next gen iphones and ipods!

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/02/22/24.bit.music/index.html?hpt=T2

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #242 of 329

Quote:
Anaxilus said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

You venture incorrectly.  As for DBT, yeah it sounds like the same predictable results as every other DBT around here so it won't be any surprise at all.  But yeah let's keep it off the thread.  If you want to use psychology to explain why someone would buy the Clip+ as their first 'audiophile' DAP expecting the incredible audio performance supported by your measurements only to be disappointed enough to seek out other sources, best of luck.  Does psychology apply when someone looks at a favorable graph and hears it to sound better?  Of course not.....
blink.gif
wink.gif
  If someone tells me the DBA-02, Monster MD, M50 sounds the same from a stand alone Clip+ as it does from a Clip+ amped then I have to say its time to put down the calculator and stop listening w/ your eyes.  The difference is in detail and resolution, not coloration, fyi.  I wish your data supported my hearing so I could use one $30 DAP for everything and save the time, effort and money.  Don't forget, we are talking a part of the anatomy that people have been using their whole lives that has evolved over millions of years.  The data is useful as a tool but claiming any sort of epistemological certitude to make people rethink how they hear is a bit like putting the cart before the horse.

It's easy for anyone to claim we can hear all sorts of things that evade measurement. It's all too close to the statement: "Prove God exists (or not)!" And I'm honestly not trying to open that can of worms as it turns into page after page of heated posts that ultimately lead nowhere new. So, if you prefer, I retract my "psychological" comment.

My main gripe is when people state their own subjective opinions as fact. For example it's not at all uncommon to read something in a review like:

"Player A has much greater bass extension and impact than Player B"

To someone surfing the web trying to decide what player to buy, the above implies they too will hear much better, deeper, more impressive bass from Player A than from Player B. But often the opposite turns out to be true or lots of other people can't tell them apart. Or Player A had the "Mega Bass EQ" function turned on and Player B didn't. Or the person in question is an undisclosed bass head that likes obscene amounts of bass. Etc. Etc.

At least with objective measurements, you can actually measure--in repeatable and verifiable ways--the bass extension, low frequency distortion, maximum low frequency output, etc. of Player A vs Player B. That's all I'm mainly trying to do in my review of the Clip+. So at least for those curious about the more factual differences between players, they have more information to go on.

I'd be much happier if people would stick to comments more like:

"Given my headphones, EQ settings, and taste in music, I prefer the bass of Player A over Player B"

As, unless someone can back up their subjective claims with some basis in fact, it's just their personal opinion. And "fact" can be properly done objective measurements, statistically valid surveys of large numbers of people, or valid blind listening tests done by them or someone else.

Your comments above about "detail" and "resolution" use words that mean different things (or little at all meaningful) to different people. It's like describing a certain wine to someone else with a few words of typical "wine lingo". Despite the elaborate language of wine buffs, you can often only get a vague impression across to the average person. They really need to taste it for themselves. And, as we all know, knowing what they're drinking--versus not knowing--can have a big impact on their perceptions.

So lacking some other practical objective way to compare products, I prefer objective measurements as at least a good starting point.

It's not unlike comparing the fuel economy and performance data of cars (data that's typically confirmed in multiple independent road tests). Does it describe the entire car? Not at all. Does it accurately describe what sort of performance and fuel economy you can expect if you buy that car? Yes it does. Is it generally useful? Most would say yes.

If I like fast cars, and want to know if I should trade my 3 year old Porsche in on the latest version, it's incredibly useful to find out the new car has virtually the same 0-60 time, skidpad performance, gas mileage, etc. as the one I already own. Or that Porsche has made dramatic improvements.

It's much less useful to read a subjective review of someone who's driven the latest car and calls it "wicked fast". Fast relative to what? And by how much? And in what ways? Top speed? Off the line? The 3 year old car might be just as "wicked fast" but I'd never know from reading the review I'd just have the impression the new car is worth buying--even if it wasn't in my case.

Why does audio have to be so different to where many argue the numbers don't tell the whole story so they should be largely ignored, or can't be trusted, etc? Why do people get so defensive about factual data?

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #243 of 329
What i do know for sure is that when u get to know the measurements it is a hard pill to swallow that your ears have been liking better the worse measuring device. Which has happened to me a few times btw. Then of course your instinct begins to lead your taste to the device that measured the better. Which has happened to me a few times as well. I'm a hopeless case.

Btw why balanced armature phones are harder to drive frequency wise than dynamic phones ? Is the balanced armature? Been wondering it the whole afternoon :wink:

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #244 of 329
Nwavguy you really need to stop worrying that people googling to find which player might suit them better out of x number of playes they've narrowed things down to might get subjective (as you put it inaccurate unscientific) opinions, rather than your cold detatched scientific figures and make some kind of wrong choice.

People have pretty good bull detectors, and can filter out the extrenious data.

Quite why you think anything that's not measured using some oscilloscope or machine that spits out a number can only be an opinion, and MUST be disclaimed as such is beyond me.

You should chill out mate, and consider these wise old words: the whole is more than the sum of it's parts.:cool:

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #245 of 329

Quote:
Btw why do balanced armature is harder to drive frequency wise than dynamic phones ? Is the balanced armature? Been wondering it the whole afternoon
wink.gif

The short answer: Most balanced armature headphones have an impedance that varies *much* more with frequency than dynamic types. This doesn't mean so much they're "harder" to drive, but you're more likely to hear differences when driving them with different sources because the headphones interact more with some sources. It's explained more in my blog.

The graph below shows the balanced armature SuperFi 5 Pro's and how they change the response of two different players. For practical purposes, you can imagine:

1. The RED line is roughly what happens with dynamic headphones.
  2. The BLUE line is the SuperFi's on the Clip+
  3. The Yellow line is the same SuperFi's on the iPod Touch

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #246 of 329
Oh thanks a lot for the explanation. In spite of being a lawyer i do really trust numbers and measurements. Even if sometimes my ears prefer the worse measuring device. But i guess that maths are the very only reference that we have that is not taste dependant.

That's why i'm really enjoying all your knowledge and it's helping me to understand my devices and my ears.

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #247 of 329

Quote:

It's easy for anyone to claim we can hear all sorts of things that evade measurement. It's all too close to the statement: "Prove God exists (or not)!" And I'm honestly not trying to open that can of worms as it turns into page after page of heated posts that ultimately lead nowhere new. So, if you prefer, I retract my "psychological" comment.

My main gripe is when people state their own subjective opinions as fact. For example it's not at all uncommon to read something in a review like:

"Player A has much greater bass extension and impact than Player B"

To someone surfing the web trying to decide what player to buy, the above implies they too will hear much better, deeper, more impressive bass from Player A than from Player B. But often the opposite turns out to be true or lots of other people can't tell them apart. Or Player A had the "Mega Bass EQ" function turned on and Player B didn't. Or the person in question is an undisclosed bass head that likes obscene amounts of bass. Etc. Etc.

At least with objective measurements, you can actually measure--in repeatable and verifiable ways--the bass extension, low frequency distortion, maximum low frequency output, etc. of Player A vs Player B. That's all I'm mainly trying to do in my review of the Clip+. So at least for those curious about the more factual differences between players, they have more information to go on.

I'd be much happier if people would stick to comments more like:

"Given my headphones, EQ settings, and taste in music, I prefer the bass of Player A over Player B"

As, unless someone can back up their subjective claims with some basis in fact, it's just their personal opinion. And "fact" can be properly done objective measurements, statistically valid surveys of large numbers of people, or valid blind listening tests done by them or someone else.

Your comments above about "detail" and "resolution" use words that mean different things (or little at all meaningful) to different people. It's like describing a certain wine to someone else with a few words of typical "wine lingo". Despite the elaborate language of wine buffs, you can often only get a vague impression across to the average person. They really need to taste it for themselves. And, as we all know, knowing what they're drinking--versus not knowing--can have a big impact on their perceptions.

So lacking some other practical objective way to compare products, I prefer objective measurements as at least a good starting point.

It's not unlike comparing the fuel economy and performance data of cars (data that's typically confirmed in multiple independent road tests). Does it describe the entire car? Not at all. Does it accurately describe what sort of performance and fuel economy you can expect if you buy that car? Yes it does. Is it generally useful? Most would say yes.

If I like fast cars, and want to know if I should trade my 3 year old Porsche in on the latest version, it's incredibly useful to find out the new car has virtually the same 0-60 time, skidpad performance, gas mileage, etc. as the one I already own. Or that Porsche has made dramatic improvements.

It's much less useful to read a subjective review of someone who's driven the latest car and calls it "wicked fast". Fast relative to what? And by how much? And in what ways? Top speed? Off the line? The 3 year old car might be just as "wicked fast" but I'd never know from reading the review I'd just have the impression the new car is worth buying--even if it wasn't in my case.

Why does audio have to be so different to where many argue the numbers don't tell the whole story so they should be largely ignored, or can't be trusted, etc? Why do people get so defensive about factual data?

Like I said, I agree and find your blog a very useful tool.  My point was just addressing the gap between the known, rather measured, and the experienced.  Its just an epistemological argument.  You wouldn't buy your Porsche based on specs alone w/o a test drive.  Plus we both know how much those specs and varying publication's measurements can vary based on any number of factors.  So cars, like listening device,s still require a test drive.  In fact, anyone buying a car based on measurements alone would be anything but a car enthusiast IMO.  I think its a straw man to say measurements should be ignored.  I've never really seen that argument.  Its usually the measurement side that asks hearing to be ignored from my experience.  If anything the measurements being presented are too incomplete to provide anything conclusive.  Using your car analogy for example.  An Aston Martin Vantage measure poorly against a 911 Turbo.  Slower to 60, 1/4 mile, worse braking, lateral G's, down on power, traction and possibly more expensive.  Is it right to say the Aston is a bad or inferior car?  No, but that is how many around head-fi approach gear using measurements.  The Aston has better craftsmanship, refinement, luxury, indulgence, beauty, uniqueness, aural stimulation, etc.  As ClieOS often says, if something measures better but sounds worse, you are measuring the wrong thing.  Why can't people that rest everything on data not accept the possibility they haven't accounted for something?  Why so much certitude and absolute confidence?  Reread some of your comments and others and tell me who is presenting the dogmatic perspective here.  Just food for thought.   

Anyway, kudos again for the blog and the work you've done!

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #249 of 329

I heard the Wolfson DAC are making a comeback. 
Apple will be switching to 24-bit audio for their itunes store... expect better dacs in next gen iphones and ipods!

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #250 of 329

Quote:

That's great news, for those who have the ears of a bat!
very_evil_smiley.gif

popcorn.gif

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #251 of 329
sweet! 
gs1000.gif

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #253 of 329
wolfson are definately coming back..they already stated that the iphone 5 and ipod touch 5g will be using wolfson dac

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2010/10/01/49572/wolfson-audio-in-iphone-5-and-ipad-2-says-taiwan-report.htm

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #254 of 329

Quote:
wolfson are definately coming back..they already stated that the iphone 5 and ipod touch 5g will be using wolfson dac

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2010/10/01/49572/wolfson-audio-in-iphone-5-and-ipad-2-says-taiwan-report.htm

Well, I am pretty pleased with the sound from my 4G Touch....I hope this ^^ isn't a step backwards.

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #255 of 329
We will have to wait, measure, and see. Manufactures often go backwards with new products despite their marketing claims--especially in areas that are not immediately obvious or easily verified. Apple's marketing team played up the new "much more durable" screen glass on the iPhone 4, when in reality, it's proven to be far more fragile and there's already a class action lawsuit over it and some of the accidental damage insurance plans are now excluding the iPhone 4's screen glass from their coverage due to excessive claims.

Apple largely follows a "form over function" design philosophy. And in wanting to make the iPhone 4 slimmer and more sexy, they made the glass far more vulnerable if the phone is dropped. They switched to a more durable type of glass, and their marketing department played it up as a great new feature, but their aesthetic design choices still made it more fragile. So I wouldn't be surprised if we see "24 Bit DAC" proudly displayed on the Apple website but the 24 bit iPod's actually measure worse or about the same.

It's worth noting that other factors in a portable player generally limit what's known as the "ENOB" or Effective Number Of Bits. Even the best portable players I know of don't achieve, in the real world, 16 bit ENOB. So it's unlikely a 24 bit DAC is going to change things much. (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENOB and also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter ).

Finally, as shown in my Clip+ review, the iPod Touch 3G, with the exception of it's lousy output impedance, already has excellent audio performance including the DAC performance. So it's not the DAC that needs improving, it's the headphone amplifier circuitry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back