Are iPods a no-go for audiophiles?
Aug 15, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #182 of 329
@ uofmtiger
nice T-Amp!   
dt880smile.png

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #183 of 329
I own an iPod touch 3g and have been using it for my all round purpose player, SQ is decent not the best by far means, today I found one of my Chinese players the Onda VX858, loaded up some files on it and WOW does it batter the touch in SQ! It's utilising a Wolfson chip and sounds awesome. 

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #184 of 329

I own an iPod touch 3g and have been using it for my all round purpose player, SQ is decent not the best by far means, today I found one of my Chinese players the Onda VX858, loaded up some files on it and WOW does it batter the touch in SQ! It's utilising a Wolfson chip and sounds awesome. 

Wow glad to see you found that. I wanna see how my friends 3rd gen sounds.

Aug 15, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #185 of 329
I have an iPod Nano from about 5 years ago. I've used it almost daily since I've owned it, for sometimes 12 hours in a day. It's all covered in dents, has been in the toilet and through the washing machine a few times. There seems to be no way to break it. It works at -35C outside even when my body is about to stop working. The battery still charges perfectly. The design is perfect, so simplistic and effective. It's so small and slim that I don't notice it in pocket and can even wear it in the elastic of my underwear if I have no pockets. It has outlived many pairs of lower quality IEMs. Both my stereo and car have built in support for it as an added bonus. It's a joy to use. I'd say it was one of my best purchases, but I even got it for free. I use PoddoX to transfer files. It's an older tiny app (407kB) which I keep on the iPod itself so I can easily use it on any computer I plug into. It does exactly what I need it to do and nothing more. It has to run in Windows XP compatibility mode but that's fine. iTunes sucks, synchronizing is stupid for a music player, I'd never use that lol. The only downside is having 4GB of space I have to change the music on it quite frequently. The database sometimes gets corrupted so I've also stored a copy of the filesystem so I can easily fix that (PoddoX wasn't finished or it should have a repair function :frowning2: ). Other than that I could think of a few improvements for my Nano but nothing I can't easily live without.

I'm the market for a new player but there is just nothing that can match my old Nano. All the players seem bloated or poorly designed. Big screens, touch screens, docking stations, bulky, bloated with features, demanding to use crappy and restrictive software, etc. These are all bad "features" and nothing that a smart power user is interested in. I want complete power over my player, and I don't want it to have a camera built in, etc. It seems the majority of players are designed for style for idiots to use, which is ironic because that's what was originally thought of the iPod, yet its turned out the best design I've seen.

I can't speak for sound quality, it may well be sub par for portable players (not sure) but it's not the most important thing for me in a portable player since there are so many other limitations on the sound quality already (mainly the environment and source files).

I'm also aware that my 2nd gen Nano might be a special case. I've seen some of the later Nanos (3rd or 4th?) which are square and frankly a stupid design that's too small for my hand and too wide for my pocket and has an inferior interface which is more designed for style than practicality. The classic iPods have a lot of storage but the cost is a really big size and they're less durable I imagine (never used one). Other apple products like the iPhone and iPad look like crap to me, they look like something loaded with useless features, lacking customization and power usage, and just waiting to break.

Aug 16, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #186 of 329
I have a Ipod touch to a Cmoy amp i i really love the sound, far better then ipod stock. (use line out of course :wink: )

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #187 of 329

Quote:
I think this pretty much sums it all up. My opinion is that iPods are very easy to use, very portable, and they have loads of accessories and support. Take an iPod > LOD > Portable amp set-up and you've got a recipe for good SQ and usability.

Agreed.  I used to be anti-iPod but after getting into it they really aren't bad with the right setup. 

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #188 of 329
My S9 is the right setup for SQ, I have compared it to many iPods.... It sounds very nice without a LOD, or fancy interconnect, and actually had an EQ that works. I have yet to see a new iPod do this, as the closest thing I have found is a 5.5g iPod Video with Rockbox on it... Without Rockbox, iPods seem to be crippled in the sound department.

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #191 of 329
I see alot of people saying ipods with a decent amp is a decent sounding setup etc. Im not disagreeing that its not, but comparing players directly to ipods in terms of sound quality, ipods just dont cut it

sidenote: I disagree that considering a device 'portable' with an amp..

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #192 of 329
^^ I think, as is always said, people have sound preferences. If you prefer a different sound signature, something meaty, or something really treble-tipped, you should opt for different players. Apple players tend to be no-frills. That is a bad thing in some ways as the EQ, while now working on iPod touch and iPhone, can't be customised. But, iPods are not warm, nor are they overly full, nor are they reedy. If you like any of those signatures, iPods are not for you. Still, they perform as well or better than the majority of sources out there, but you cannot customise anything really well. For actual SQ, they are much better than average. I don't use iPod with an amp - I just don't like bulking up. 

Here's an analogy. Back in the MD days, people hated Sony. They were the biggest. People considered them dead, flat, boring. Sounds similar, right? Well, they were more neutral back then, but not much more nuetral. People praised Sharp and Panasonic. Why? Because they were by far the underdogs. Hell, Sony had more MD market share than Apple has ever had of DAP market share. So, it is only right to badger the big guy. That is the same thing here. Apple have not allowed much customisation to their sound engine, but that sound engine is very good to start with. If you don't like it (and you don't), there is no reason to hang with Apple. bottom line: iPods are NOT behind in SQ, only in enhancement. 

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #193 of 329
Panasonic rules over Sony any day. Maybe they are not the most innovative company, but the quality of their products easily surpass Sony's. Other companies that totally kicks Sony's rear end are Pioneer and Technics, especially with professional live and studio equipment. Not because they are underdogs. In fact, they are not underdogs. I think Apple makes great heardware...or made.... I simply hate their firmware and iTunes. If it wasn't for rockbox, I would not be owning an Ipod 5.5g. It would be a waste of good hardware. Now, I would not own a stupid IPhone 4. You can't make phone calls with that thing. Who cares about retina display. I want to be able to hold the phone line a human being, not like a monkey. Really, Apple sucks.

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #194 of 329
^^ And that is the pervading feeling, especially in America. George, I used to hate Apple, too, so we are strange bedfellows - in a way. I left the hate camp 3 years ago and moved on. You can stay where you are, that is no problem. I don't like iTunes, but it works like a dream for syncing, organising and tossing files every which way I want. I would feel better about iTunes if it left the application stuff way behind. Originally, I did not get my iPod touch for music, I got it for internet and it was the only realistic option back in 2007. The fact that it did everything I wanted (well, at the time, no volume buttons and it had hiss) in a portable was a surprise, especially for me, a dyed- in the wool iPod hater. It doesn't matter now and there is no reason to fight the Apple hate with Apple support as the two are incompatible camps. Another thing that isn't compatible is trying to prove to Apple haters that iPods actually sound good. They will never believe it, even if they do blind tests and see that it is very possible that they cannot detect a difference with volume-matched players playing the same earphones. Who knows, they might actually like the iPod - but that isn't even up for debate as to that group (that I was part of in a bigger way than you my friend as I hated everything that even closely resembled DAP's and Apple was the epitome of all that was wrong in the market) as it is easier to hate than to accept the fact that a device that represents all that is wrong, is actually an okay device. 

I had to eat my words and almost wanted to eat my socks.

Now, I am not a Jobs fan, nor a fan of iTunes (not really, though when open, it is fast and problem-free), nor would I want to flash my iPod if I went to the USA where everyone, it seems, has one. I also like to be 'an individual' by joining a group of like-minded non-conformists. But, I'd rather just listen to music without the fuss. There is only one platform that will allow me to do that: iPod and that is where I will stay unless someone else can make a player that: 

1. Doesn't hiss (or hisses as little as the iPod touch 2G)
2. plays gaplessly
3. has a goodly amount of storage
4. can drive low Ω phones well
5. can offer AAC
6. has hardware volume buttons
7. Good build quality
8. good battery life
9. doesn't tackle the lowest common denominator by marketing to audiophiles (who gobble marketing up)

Plus, with my iPod touch, I have a  5KG dictionary in the palm of my hand, references galore. It is true: I enjoy the non-music stuff a lot, but after years with the iPod touch, even originally as a hateful skeptic, I am amazed by what I hear when I listen with unbiased ears. 

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #195 of 329

Quote:
Panasonic rules over Sony any day. Maybe they are not the most innovative company, but the quality of their products easily surpass Sony's. Other companies that totally kicks Sony's rear end are Pioneer and Technics, especially with professional live and studio equipment. Not because they are underdogs. In fact, they are not underdogs. I think Apple makes great heardware...or made.... I simply hate their firmware and iTunes. If it wasn't for rockbox, I would not be owning an Ipod 5.5g. It would be a waste of good hardware. Now, I would not own a stupid IPhone 4. You can't make phone calls with that thing. Who cares about retina display. I want to be able to hold the phone line a human being, not like a monkey. Really, Apple sucks.

To each their own. I have no qualms about iTunes, although I do sync using Foobar, due to the fact that I can automatically convert music not supported by the iPhone. And funny thing about not being able to make calls. I haven't had 1 call drop due to me holding it the wrong way (natural lefty, and yes, I do hold my phone exactly they way that supposedly makes it drop calls). And coming from a iPod Touch 2G, the retina screen is a thing a beauty. After 2 months with the iPhone 4, it's hard to go back to a lower resolution screen. It's the tiny details that might not seem so significant that you appreciate over time, at least in my experience.

Quote:
^^ And that is the pervading feeling, especially in America. George, I used to hate Apple, too, so we are strange bedfellows - in a way. I left the hate camp 3 years ago and moved on. You can stay where you are, that is no problem. I don't like iTunes, but it works like a dream for syncing, organising and tossing files every which way I want. I would feel better about iTunes if it left the application stuff way behind. Originally, I did not get my iPod touch for music, I got it for internet and it was the only realistic option back in 2007. The fact that it did everything I wanted (well, at the time, no volume buttons and it had hiss) in a portable was a surprise, especially for me, a dyed- in the wool iPod hater. It doesn't matter now and there is no reason to fight the Apple hate with Apple support as the two are incompatible camps. Another thing that isn't compatible is trying to prove to Apple haters that iPods actually sound good. They will never believe it, even if they do blind tests and see that it is very possible that they cannot detect a difference with volume-matched players playing the same earphones. Who knows, they might actually like the iPod - but that isn't even up for debate as to that group (that I was part of in a bigger way than you my friend as I hated everything that even closely resembled DAP's and Apple was the epitome of all that was wrong in the market) as it is easier to hate than to accept the fact that a device that represents all that is wrong, is actually an okay device. 

I had to eat my words and almost wanted to eat my socks.

Now, I am not a Jobs fan, nor a fan of iTunes (not really, though when open, it is fast and problem-free), nor would I want to flash my iPod if I went to the USA where everyone, it seems, has one. I also like to be 'an individual' by joining a group of like-minded non-conformists. But, I'd rather just listen to music without the fuss. There is only one platform that will allow me to do that: iPod and that is where I will stay unless someone else can make a player that: 

1. Doesn't hiss (or hisses as little as the iPod touch 2G)
2. plays gaplessly
3. has a goodly amount of storage
4. can drive low Ω phones well
5. can offer AAC
6. has hardware volume buttons
7. Good build quality
8. good battery life
9. doesn't tackle the lowest common denominator by marketing to audiophiles (who gobble marketing up)

Plus, with my iPod touch, I have a  5KG dictionary in the palm of my hand, references galore. It is true: I enjoy the non-music stuff a lot, but after years with the iPod touch, even originally as a hateful skeptic, I am amazed by what I hear when I listen with unbiased ears. 

Agreed. Biggest complaint that I'll give the Apple haters is the lack of proper EQ, but sound quality wise, iPods and iPhones are great, especially for IEMs. My UM2s, probably the most sensitive IEM known to man, is driven quite well by my old Touch with minimal hiss, and even better with the iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back