Are expensive headphones worth it?
Aug 17, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #61 of 139
Genuine opinions and the unbelievable complexity of the subject aside...

Coming to head-fi and asking this question is like going to the organizers and players of your local rec-league and asking, "Is basketball any fun?"

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #63 of 139

Quote:
Genuine opinions and the unbelievable complexity of the subject aside...

Coming to head-fi and asking this question is like going to the organizers and players of your local rec-league and asking, "Is basketball any fun?"

Although the question may seem ignorant the person asking it is genuinely curious about it and if we can be of any help then great. Not to mention I'm sure hes not American or more doesn't use English as his native language. There's always that language barrier between cultures that others have to consider.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #64 of 139
For a serious reply, it all depends on the consumer. (You) For some, headphones may not be a big investment at all. They may buy 3 dollar Chinese headphones and like them. Another example would be a person getting new iPod earbuds from their local Apple Store every time they break for some unknown reason, they don't really want high-end headphones and believe Apple's earbuds are the best in the business. For most people on this forum, getting expensive headphones are worth it simply because we are audiophiles who want the best sound possible. Price might be an object for some, it might not be for others. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #65 of 139

Quote:
You never know. You could get some interesting answers.

Oh, I don't doubt it. I never said the original poster shouldn't have asked. I'm sure if you asked enough people you'd get some really fascinating and refreshing perspectives about rec-league basketball as well. That doesn't change the fact that asking enthusiasts if they find their hobby worthwhile should lead one to expect a certain kind of answer, otherwise a place like head-fi wouldn't exist. I was challenging the notion that this question can be answered accurately, impartially, and/or in a way that the original poster will necessarily find applies to his or herself.

Quote:
Although the question may seem ignorant the person asking it is genuinely curious about it and if we can be of any help then great. Not to mention I'm sure hes not American or more doesn't use English as his native language. There's always that language barrier between cultures that others have to consider.

I realized after posting that somebody else already made the second point earlier in the thread (though some people thought it was expressed...shall we say...tactlessly). My intention was only to be lightly humorous and to remark on the difficulty of the task. I was criticizing neither the question nor the person asking it. You used the word "ignorant" but all questions to which the person asking does not know the answer are by definition an admission of ignorance aren't they? I certainly don't mean to impede or discourage inquiry for the original poster or for anybody else. Although, if the language rift is as wide as you suggest, then it will be even more difficult for the original poster both to amalgamate all of the information here and to sublimate that information into something useful. I do however mean to call into question the ability of head-fi, abstractly, to furnish this question with a meaningful answer as this is a highly subjective, deeply complex, and often divisive topic; what we call value. Comprised of use value vs. exchange value (to frame the argument in the universal terms of Classical and Marxian economics) and the myriad determinant factors that also enter the equation such as the relativity of exchange value based on an individual's capital, futures, income (less their expenditures), etc. Or the relativity of use value that is debated endlessly on head-fi and is one of the emergent purposes of the site, particularly since the introduction of ratings in the head gear section and the consolidation of reviews. Use value is made infinitely complex by nuanced differences in individuals opinions be they informed by the physiological (frequency perception and sensitivity or varying shapes of the ear), material (quality control and driver matching, ear pad wear, dependent hardware synergy and "quality" which is itself a microcosm of argument here on head-fi), psychological (whether or not people believe it even exists is frequently contested, but burn-in may fit in this category or the former or both depending on how you define it, often we become accustomed to a certain sound as our brains are capable of making a presentation seem "normal". Just see how long some subtle new eq setting that initially may sound stark takes to become unnoticeable until you change back), or cultural and sub-cultural (genre choice, and in some cultures economic pressures may alter the effects of any combination of these on the interaction of use value with exchange value). Use value is in fact  some indistinguishable amalgam of all of these factors, further obfuscated by all the flaws in human memory and the variation of these factors as a function of time (i.e. your outer ear changing size and shape as you grow, your inner ear ability to perceive certain frequencies changing as you grow, changing tastes in genres, burn-in if it exists, etc.) that we are also already subject to, which makes methods of determining use value such as auditions and loan programs problematic. And this is just off of the top of my head in the middle of the night while revisiting Radiohead's Amnesiac.
I'm not saying that it's presumptuous or unproductive to attempt to undertake a response to the original poster's question in light of the inability of any one human to conceive of all of the factors involved at once or even communicate them let alone do so in a way that will apply perfectly to a stranger on the internet. Indeed one need neither master the knowledge of all the various factors to form an impression for his or herself, nor to communicate one's own impression. Sure there are close enough matches simply by probability given the limitations of human variation and of what headphones exist and are available for acquisition. In fact if you really wanted to cut to the core of my criticism you could use another such pragmatic maneuver like, "Of course head-fi! What other place in the world better to ask such a question? And so it is with the recreational basketball league!" That would be reasonable and correct, but wouldn't change the fact that one would be inclined to receive a certain type of answer here.
My answer to the original poster is in a word, "yes". In one more word, "It's complicated".

tl;dr, I felt my silly little joke was misunderstood, and then proceeded unsolicited to practically tell the history of the universe, a very very long climb for a not so fantastic view.

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #66 of 139
I got into the headphone thing seriously about a year ago, modded some Grado's, got a bunch of nice IEM's and lucked into a great deal on some HE-5LE Orthodynamic Headphones-The most coin I ever laid out for cans and I'm a retired drummer so I've heard some really bad ones and really good ones but non compare to these HE5LE's...wow, these are absolutely the finest headphones I ever heard let aloe now own. Worth every penny, and I feel like I may have purchased my last cans...I can't find anything about these to even remotely complain about..nothing!! In my case they were worth it for sure. Check em out if you can!!!

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #67 of 139
HD800 or 14 hookers.

hmm...

It's all subjective 

hmmmm. i think i rather throw a party and pick the hookers instead.

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #68 of 139
expensive headphones are worth it simply because we are audiophiles who want the best coloration possible. Price might be an object for some, it might not be for others. 

fixed :p

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #69 of 139
They're not worth it past around $500-$1,000. That's where you can get into some fine speakers.

The ProAc 2.5 clones cost around $1,000 and the Quad ESL-63s were $700. For about 80% of my listening, I pick the speakers. The clones have excellent bass that blends seamlessly with the mids and highs. The Quads have a superior soundstage, microdetail and bass is good down to 40Hz or so. No kidney-kicks like the clones, but terrific with acoustic music.

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #70 of 139
I have to admit, that $5,000 headphone Head-Fi TV reviewed that required a $5,500+ AMP to power struck me less as seeking the best sound possible and more a "because I can" purchase. Again, not judging, but there is a part of me that remembers the user studies people have done that show a correlation between price and perceived quality, regardless of whether or not that quality is actually there.

Think of it how wine connoisseurs will review a wine and describe 15+ different flavors they're tasting regardless of the fact that the human tongue is limited to something like six flavors at a time.

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #72 of 139

Quote:
Isn;t comparing cheaper headphones to more expensive headphones is the same as comparing $4 burgers at mcdonalds vs $9 burgers at more expensive restaurants?

That's not really a good analogy between headphones and food. A better comparison would be between cars to get your point more across. Example would be like comparing a Corvette to a POS gremlin.

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #74 of 139

Quote:
Do you think expensive headphones priced at $100 up worth it? Is there a marginal or lot of difference between sennheiser hd 518 and sennheiser hd 800? What is the price limit after which an average guy won't notice any difference in sound quality?

Edit:I have made some changes in my budget as I got to now its not worth comparing cheap cans with high-end headphones.

I actually think $100 is cheap.

That's what HeadFi does to you.

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #75 of 139

Quote:
I actually think $100 is cheap.

That's what HeadFi does to you.

Seriously headfi messes your brain up. Ive almost hit the $700 mark on my rig. I was fortunate enough to find that one headphone that I loved with my first purchase though. I consider myself very lucky. <$100 is pocket change when I think about headphones. 

This really is subjective. Depends on your musical taste, source, funds. Theres no point in going above the D2000 for me since all I listen to is dubstep really. What more do I need? Upgrading to D7000s isnt worth the subtle changes I would get from my ~320kbps music collection. And the higher up you go I feel the bass becomes too refined, much less engaging, and less fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back