aptX Adaptive / aptX Lossless USB Transmitters
Jan 19, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #1,876 of 2,075
Soundguy's what is Snapdragon sound article here

"Qualcomm says Wi-Fi will automatically engage to playback lossless content (up to 24-bit, 96kHz initially), leaving Bluetooth as the default for calls and lossy music where it’s best served. Finally, Wi-Fi opens the door to sub-50ms latency even with high-quality audio enabled — a boon for gamers longing for wireless audio freedom"

>Sub 50ms
>No more drop outs
>No more compressed Audio quality
>No more bandwidth limits

The above sounds impressive, but lets see if it matches the hype and delivers.

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #1,877 of 2,075
Now that the Samsung S24 series is out, and even with their so called "flagship", the Ultra, featuring the newest Qualcomm Snapdragon Gen.3, they still chose to cripple the built-in Qualcomm chipset, which naturally and totally free, supports all existing AptX codecs on purpose, in order to exclude all AptX HD, Lossless, Adaptive codecs for their customers... which btw pay 1200 to 1600 $ for a "flagship" phone with only one single hi-res codec left, the proprietary Samsung SSC. What a giant letdown!

Sorry, but I don't see myself putting a dongle to this brand new phone, and also I clearly don't buy the overpriced but still mediocre Samsung earbuds to stream hi-res music with such an expensive device. Samsung really became as autocratic as Apple and even worse when it comes to enjoying hi-res music via a smartphone.

But since this phone has WiFi 7 on board, let's see what we can do with that in the near future?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #1,878 of 2,075
Qualcomm chipset, which naturally and totally free, supports all existing AptX codecs on purpose, in order to exclude all AptX HD, Lossless, Adaptive codecs
It's technically not true. At least so-called lossless is licensed separately. So yeah, Samsung is saving few bucks per device on > 1000$ device.
But since this phone has WiFi 7 on board, let's see what we can do with that in the near future?
Nothing if using the stock ROM without root. It's not about WiFi 7, and XPAN is baked into vendor blobs (+Bluetooth stack for aptX Adaptive R4), so there's no way to get it working unless there will be some donor device to dump them from.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #1,879 of 2,075
hello friends.

I'm looking for the latest info on high quality codecs for microphones/calling /discord over mobile phone.

which means, I'd like to know which of the following is no longer vaporware :

- Bluetooth LC3 for voice (Android device)

- hack for using USB microphone and Bluetooth stereo simultaneously (android)

- usb dongle with wired microphone input and bluetooth stereo output

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #1,880 of 2,075
It's technically not true. At least so-called lossless is licensed separately. So yeah, Samsung is saving few bucks per device on > 1000$ device.

Nothing if using the stock ROM without root. It's not about WiFi 7, and XPAN is baked into vendor blobs (+Bluetooth stack for aptX Adaptive R4), so there's no way to get it working unless there will be some donor device to dump them from.
XPAN also requires XPAN-supported Wifi 7 router (also using qcom chip) too.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #1,882 of 2,075
Will TP-Link BE550 do? XPAN devices should also be able to use AP created by the phone, so this is not that bad.
I dont know as Qualcomm havent shared more details about that, they just said that XPAN-supported router is required (of course must be qcom powered). Something about the router also need to aware about XPAN links between phone and audio products....

Jan 27, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #1,883 of 2,075
I dont know as Qualcomm havent shared more details about that, they just said that XPAN-supported router is required (of course must be qcom powered). Something about the router also need to aware about XPAN links between phone and audio products....

Interesting, I thought Qualcomm pitched the whole XPAN idea since home or office users already have wifi 2.4-6ghz in place so it could just piggy back off the existing wireless network on any wireless wifi network.

You have articles like this saying:

"XPAN works with Wi-Fi 5, 6, 6E, and 7 networks on 2.4, 5, and 6GHz bands, which means that in corporate settings, it might allow you to roam anywhere that’s covered by your office Wi-Fi"

I would have preferred no Xpan supported router since its just another thing to buy or sort out just to use audio, also something like that could make or break a technology before its even launched.

Do you have any links to qcom powered Xpan routers?

Jan 27, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #1,884 of 2,075
Now that the Samsung S24 series is out, and even with their so called "flagship", the Ultra, featuring the newest Qualcomm Snapdragon Gen.3, they still chose to cripple the built-in Qualcomm chipset, which naturally and totally free, supports all existing AptX codecs on purpose, in order to exclude all AptX HD, Lossless, Adaptive codecs for their customers... which btw pay 1200 to 1600 $ for a "flagship" phone with only one single hi-res codec left, the proprietary Samsung SSC. What a giant letdown!

Sorry, but I don't see myself putting a dongle to this brand new phone, and also I clearly don't buy the overpriced but still mediocre Samsung earbuds to stream hi-res music with such an expensive device. Samsung really became as autocratic as Apple and even worse when it comes to enjoying hi-res music via a smartphone.

Think patience is going to be the key here, way too early to see if any of this new technology is going to work let alone be worth it. Lets see how snapdragon and Windows works out this summer.

Also as we know new cutting edge technology is priced exactly that... ridiculously expensive and overpriced. We may still need a few years before headphones, Windows and now Routers even adopt this S7 snapdragon sound which is another ball game altogether.

We may also get dedicated USB dongles or break out boxes with S7 snapdragon support, imo that would be more ideal if they want their technology to be adopted and to be purchased.

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #1,885 of 2,075
A strange situation is developing: the most advanced and best-sounding headphones use aptX Adaptive, but a huge number of seemingly good phones (including almost all Samsung devices) do not have this codec.

I just updated my tablet - I barely found a model that would have both LDAC and aptX Adaptive...

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #1,886 of 2,075
Samsung are piss poor for Codec support to promote/push their own Codec and sell you their earbuds, so I would buy neither.

Cheap Chi devices on AliExpress have both aptX Adaptive and LDAC and recently added aptX Lossless to there updated models but these are BT Wire and Neckband style like the FiiO LC-BT2 (you fit your own IEM's to them via 2 Pin or MMCX) have no App and looks cheap esp. the buttons but they have massive battery life.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #1,887 of 2,075
Money is not the reason why Samsung not adopt aptX HD/Adaptive. Like the guy above said, its just pure competition. They want to push their audio products as top choice for Galaxy buyers.
Samsung got (bought) every bell and whistles QCOM offered. Then they just dont use it and deploy their own stuffs instead.

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #1,890 of 2,075
It already does AFAIK on SnapDragon (cannot remember exact model numbers) but Gen2, Gen 3 is the newest chipset on some phones due soon.
I think you got mistaken. aptx lossless first gen bitrate is 1.2Mbps (16bit 44.1kHz lossless compression), the next rev are 1.4Mbps (16bit 48khz). AFAIK no product have this yet and not publicly released by qcom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back