aptX Adaptive / aptX Lossless USB Transmitters
Dec 25, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #1,846 of 2,127
So I received the Bose QuietComfort Ultra headphones and as expected, they do not support LE audio as of now. Also, they do support aptx adaptive but the latency is disappointing since they don't seem to support the low latency mode of aptx adaptive. The best latency I got out of the QC Ultras was ~190ms using aptx adaptive...

72ms is not good enough. Of course you can hear a difference between 72ms and ~20ms. People on this forum claim to be able to hear above 20khz, but they cannot hear 50ms delay, are you joking?

Have the Ultra's received LE audio yet?

Dec 26, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #1,847 of 2,127
So I received the Bose QuietComfort Ultra headphones
I received Bose QuietComfort Ultra Earbuds. They have AptX Adaptive but it works quite strangely: If your headphones do not support AptX Adaptive, the connection is established not via the "normal" aptX, but via AAC.

Another feature of these headphones is that you need to listen quite hard to hear the difference between aptX Adaptive and AAC. Whether this is such a good AAC realization, or it's such a bad aptX Adaptive realization, I haven't figured it out yet.

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #1,848 of 2,127
I received Bose QuietComfort Ultra Earbuds. They have AptX Adaptive but it works quite strangely: If your headphones do not support AptX Adaptive, the connection is established not via the "normal" aptX, but via AAC.

Another feature of these headphones is that you need to listen quite hard to hear the difference between aptX Adaptive and AAC. Whether this is such a good AAC realization, or it's such a bad aptX Adaptive realization, I haven't figured it out yet.
I am using the Creative BT-W5 dongle (disabling all the sound processing on it) with my Bose QC Ultra earbuds and for me there is a huge difference between the AAC and AptX Adaptive HD codec. The difference in sound quality between the AptX Adaptive Low Latency and AptX Adaptive HD is also very noticable.
But out off the box the Bose QC Ultra's are way the bassy for me, so I have used the EQ (earbuds app) to tune the bass down considerably and then they really shine.
Maybe it is a personal thing but for me most headphones/earbuds are just way to bassy, overshadowing the mids, highs and the soundstage way to much.
Also codecs like SBC (which defaults to the loudness algorithm) and AAC seem to favour bass. Maybe it has also something to do with the psychoacoustic models these codecs use favouring the things most people like, and trying to get them in the limited available bandwidth.
But as everybody knows standard SBC and AAC are just not suitable for higher music quality, as they just suppress or drop higher frequency content due to the restricted bandwidths they operate on.

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #1,849 of 2,127
But out off the box the Bose QC Ultra's are way the bassy for me
I completely agree: in the default settings, these headphones have a significant overkill with low frequencies. Fortunately, this is easily fixed by the software's built-in equalizer.

By the way, the situation is exactly the same for the previous model - Bose QuietComfort Earbuds II.

Jan 2, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #1,852 of 2,127
I am using the Creative BT-W5 dongle (disabling all the sound processing on it) with my Bose QC Ultra earbuds and for me there is a huge difference between the AAC and AptX Adaptive HD codec. The difference in sound quality between the AptX Adaptive Low Latency and AptX Adaptive HD is also very noticable.
But out off the box the Bose QC Ultra's are way the bassy for me, so I have used the EQ (earbuds app) to tune the bass down considerably and then they really shine.
Maybe it is a personal thing but for me most headphones/earbuds are just way to bassy, overshadowing the mids, highs and the soundstage way to much.
Also codecs like SBC (which defaults to the loudness algorithm) and AAC seem to favour bass. Maybe it has also something to do with the psychoacoustic models these codecs use favouring the things most people like, and trying to get them in the limited available bandwidth.
But as everybody knows standard SBC and AAC are just not suitable for higher music quality, as they just suppress or drop higher frequency content due to the restricted bandwidths they operate on.
I have the exact same experience, using AAC the Bass is a bit overwhelming, but moving to Aptx Adaptive HQ(W5 adapter) just about everything improves by miles, clarity, bass quality, mids et all. And using a bit of EQ on the mids, they really start to sing, almost matching my over the ear cans (Aonic 50s on USB or even my Hifiman Planars). Good work by Bose on this high quality Dynamic driver, but they should highlight the codec dependency.

All phones (specially new androids) should support Aptx Adaptive out of the box.
Aptx lossless might be even better(which the QC ultras also support), but dont see any USB dongles with it.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #1,853 of 2,127
Samsung support got back to me regarding LE audio BT codec being broken on the s23 with Android 14 (with my Creative Zen LE audio hps) they said they located the issue in my sent phone logs and have now repaired the issue and to download the latest software update.

Updated the software, rebooted phone and still same problem...….

Sent them a follow up message saying no change but not expecting any miracles for now.

Jan 2, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #1,854 of 2,127
All phones (specially new androids) should support Aptx Adaptive out of the box.
In practice, this is not always the case. A large number of models, despite the thirteenth Android, have only regular aptX and do not have aptX Adaptive.

Jan 3, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #1,856 of 2,127
Sony Inzone Buds mini-review.

Finally....finally.....again, finally some true good earbuds made for gaming without big flaws. i was waiting these for a long time, and finally we got what we were searching for.

Before these i had a pair of Epos GTW 270 but they had various problems, and with the latest firmware they ruined completely the battery life ( shame on EPOS ).

I waited two weeks before writing this mini-review because i wanted to be sure about the quality of the product and not rushing it ( i'm not a professional reviewer, but i'll do my best ).

My uses are for gaming 70% / movies-music-internet 30%

*** I've been using them on both PC / PlayStation 5 during these weeks ***

Pros:

- Let's start about the price. Yes they are pricey for the medium range of users which usually gets cheap stuff, but at least you get an awesome product. ( read below ). There are no perfect products out there.

- The connection is fast. They always connect to the dongle within 4 seconds, even if you pull out / pull in the dongle on another device. And they never lost the connection / signal or had sound drops / crackling noises, never happened such a thing. Perfect.

- Sound quality out of the box is pretty clean, neutral, no over-punching bass ( i didn't touch the EQ ). I'm using them on default and it's perfectly fine to me like this.

- Touch controls are on point...very responsive, you'll never miss any command. And also they are easily customizable under the Sony's software.

- Battery is on point too, i used them for about 10 hours and they still had +- 25% charge

- Sony Inzone HUB software appears to be very stable under Windows 11, easy to use and had no recognizing problems or crashes or errors to this day. The software allows to customize controls / standby mode / volume and other things.

- The latency is 30ms which is not noticeable on gaming or general purposes. They use the new Bluetooth LC3 codec

- The dongle is switchable between "PC - PS5 / Mobile" devices. But they works under "PC" mode on PS5 too without changing the switch everytime.

- They will turn off on their own after 15 minutes after you remove them from your ears. They almost immediately turn on, if you wear again....very very VERY useful. ( this feature can be disable under the Sony Inzone HUB software ).

- About the ANC...it's a feature i'm really NOT interested. It seems decent at removing all those constant sounds in the background, like fan noises. Same as others ANC. Nothing special but useful in some situations.

- The volume level is saved within the earbuds itself, so it's not related to an external software

- They are easy to pick from the case and to put back into the case because of their shape a little "arched". Some others earbuds i tried for example were awful and slippy in the same situations.

Cons:

- Plastic case might feels cheap and the little cover are a bit brittle. Better be careful if you open/close the case a lot of time during your days.

- The confort at your ears......well that's personal. Some people will have some problems for sure, some others not. In my case, they don't slip out of my ears, but I have to insert them well (without pressing too much). Then they will stay secure.

- The case battery life could have been better. The case only ensures a 2x - 2.5x times recharge more or less, then he gets low battery.

- They have a little hiss noise in the background but is it's not annoying like someone said. it's barely noticeable only in complete silence.

- They ONLY works with the dongle supplied.

In conclusion i definitely suggest them, IMO the best money i spent this year.:relaxed:

Really considering these for task were I don't need the best sound, like teams, Youtube, gaming, general browsing etc...Which together makes up a very large part of my total PC-usage.

Do you have any impressions regarding the mic quality? Even tho I'm most likely to use my external mic for desktop usage still...

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #1,857 of 2,127
Hi all, I've read most of this thread and I still have a question. I'm trying to find a Bluetooth adapter for my Mac to work w/ my Px8. I currently have a BT-W5, which works pretty except that HQ has too high a latency and low latency has crackles and pops. My Mac shows the device as running USB 2.0, though I have an explicit 2.0 adapter coming tomorrow to try.

I'm curious about the KB8P/KB9P/T10P, specifically about the HFP/making calls. Do they automatically switch to HFP on macOS? Or does it require a button push? I switch between music and calls all the time during the day, and anything that would require a button press is pretty much ruled out.

Thank you!

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #1,858 of 2,127
I found xiaomi pad 6 pro with snapdragon 8+ gen 1 should offer aptx lossless. Creative Aurvana Ace 2 should support aptx lossless, but they do not connect with aptx lossless. They connect with aptx adaptive. There is no option to turn on aptx lossless or LC3.
Where is a usb dongle with aptx lossless?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 5:11 AM Post #1,859 of 2,127
I found xiaomi pad 6 pro with snapdragon 8+ gen 1 should offer aptx lossless. Creative Aurvana Ace 2 should support aptx lossless, but they do not connect with aptx lossless. They connect with aptx adaptive. There is no option to turn on aptx lossless or LC3.
This is because so-called aptX Lossless is not a separate codec, it's just a flag for aptX Adaptive (named "r2.2"). How to check if it's enabled? There's no easy way, but sampling rate being equal to 44.1 kHz is a good sign.
AFAIK Xiaomi doesn't pay for aptX Adaptive r2.2, so you will need root to enable it.
Where is a usb dongle with aptx lossless?
Not yet. The easiest solution is to buy QCC5181 dev board and flash correct firmware by yourself. The cheapest option would be to DIY it from BTM581 module.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #1,860 of 2,127
This is because so-called aptX Lossless is not a separate codec, it's just a flag for aptX Adaptive (named "r2.2"). How to check if it's enabled? There's no easy way, but sampling rate being equal to 44.1 kHz is a good sign.
AFAIK Xiaomi doesn't pay for aptX Adaptive r2.2, so you will need root to enable it.

Not yet. The easiest solution is to buy QCC5181 dev board and flash correct firmware by yourself. The cheapest option would be to DIY it from BTM581 module.
What is the easiet way to get info about how to get it with usb c or a connector and flash the software? What software is required?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back