aptX Adaptive / aptX Lossless USB Transmitters
Jan 28, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #1,891 of 2,121
Yes Gen1 was 16/44.1 and (AFAIR the Chipset is SnapDragon 8) and 2nd Gen was 16/44.1 and 16/48 (up to the Manu to add the support or not) and now we have Gen 3 in the announced new phones and AFAIR (again) the Galaxy S24/S25 Ultra are Gen 3.

https://www.smartprix.com/mobiles/snapdragon-8-gen3-mobiles-list < List may not be 100% accurate.

" For example, because it introduces new – mostly wireless – techniques for the transmission of audio. Such is the case with the new Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 3. In theory, this chip makes it possible to send hires sound to headphones. In a quality of up to and including 24 bit /96 kHz." Again if Manu adds it.

"Supports 24-bit 96 kHz lossless music over Bluetooth" < Not sure if that means along with WIFI (XPAN)

https://docs.qualcomm.com/bundle/pu...gon_8_gen_3_Mobile_Platform_Product_Brief.pdf

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #1,892 of 2,121
Dont trust the marketing paper :triportsad:
Im talking about aptX Lossless over A2DP
For LEA (LE Audio), the best aptX Lossless could do is 24bit 48kHz (because of 2M link restriction).
aptX Lossless have different version, one for A2DP, one for LEA.
24bit 96kHz lossless is 4.6Mbps, even if QCOM do some black magic compression, its still 4Mbps. Impossible to do right now, and thats accounted for QHS (proprietary QCOM BT high speed link).

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #1,893 of 2,121
Also from qualcomm, latest QCC5181 only supported 44.1kHz aka first gen aptX Lossless over A2DP. same with LEA, 48kHz.
1706429061738.png

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #1,894 of 2,121
Money is not the reason why Samsung not adopt aptX HD/Adaptive. Like the guy above said, its just pure competition. They want to push their audio products as top choice for Galaxy buyers.
As a result, I definitely won't buy a Samsung phone or tablet. Because there is no aptX Adaptive there.
To be precise, because all those headphones that use Samsung's much-loved codecs are frankly worse in sound.

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #1,895 of 2,121
We can just hope that they'll reach an agreement... With Samsung, Google and Apple) not supporting anything new from Qualcomm. One does question why audio OEMs would pay for the latest Qcom chipset.

Those 3 players represent what, 50% of the global market share? Even more if we only count the western market. Something that the EU should look at in my view, not very consumer friendly. Just imagine if Microsoft decided to gate-keep as to what software features you could install on your PC?

If its technically possible, we as consumers should at least have the option to purchase the license ourselves. Kinda how Dolby Atmos works on PC/Xbox.

Such a shame that Samsung/Google are becoming this dominant force in the android space, no other OEM can compete in terms of software, which is increasingly becoming more and more important as hardware advancements stale. For example, Samsung just announced that the S24 lineup will sport 7 years of Software support...Whereas Sony just gives consumer 2 major updates during the phones life-time. Google/Samsung phones also receive minor software revisions 2-3 times a year as well were new features are added.

My new S24U is running the latest OneUI 6.1, it will receive a minor revision once the foldables launches in late summer and a major update when the OneUI-version based on Android 15 is released, usually late in the year.

Also as Google is increasinly developing less and less feature for ASOP, minor players like Sony are falling even more behind each year, I could litteraly count the number of visable changes on one hand when I updated my 1V to Android 14.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #1,896 of 2,121
>aptX Lossless

aptx cannot be lossless

only wifi can
96f39caa891eabe4b0c6f01c0e38f86d.png

Joke aside. aptX Lossless can definitely deliver lossless 16bit/44.1khz at 1200Kbps bitrate. 1411Kbps is the bitrate required to deliver bit-perfect stereo 16bit/44.1khz, so you do some fancy math (lossless compression) to reduce the size needed to deliver. Per Qualcomm researchs, almost every audio files after compressions are under 1Mbps, but they put some safe margins in there for the worse case scenario. Thats why aptX Lossless bitrate is 1.2Mbps.

For the "unwise in the way of science", thats like using winrar/7zip/winzip on your PC to shrink your files.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #1,897 of 2,121
Dont trust the marketing paper :triportsad:
Im talking about aptX Lossless over A2DP
For LEA (LE Audio), the best aptX Lossless could do is 24bit 48kHz (because of 2M link restriction).
aptX Lossless have different version, one for A2DP, one for LEA.
24bit 96kHz lossless is 4.6Mbps, even if QCOM do some black magic compression, its still 4Mbps. Impossible to do right now, and thats accounted for QHS (proprietary QCOM BT high speed link).

As I understand it, but it can be hard to find the proof, aptX Lossless over LE Audio only does 16-bit. Not 24-bit. There is not enough bandwidth for 24-bit 48kHz in Bluetooth. It was always going to require Wi-Fi.

I have seen at least one Qualcomm rep get this wrong around the most recent launch. It’s because all the marketing material avoids confirming it’s 16-bit because no one has source files in 16-bit 48kHz format. So the advancement is useless.

In relation to this, just discovered my ROG Phone 8 doesn’t even have aptX Adaptive over LE Audio enabled. ASUS share the source code and you can see they haven’t configured it in the current release. I don’t know if there are any earbuds that have it enabled too. I have a QCC5181 cable which connects via LE Audio but it can’t use aptX Adaptive while ASUS’ AOSP build doesn’t have it configured.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #1,898 of 2,121
At least iPhone users have a USB-C LDAC dongle on the way from FiiO. Shame the BT11 is not also offering aptX Lossless.

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #1,899 of 2,121
At least iPhone users have a USB-C LDAC dongle on the way from FiiO. Shame the BT11 is not also offering aptX Lossless.

Agreed. I'm not sure how much better LDAC is over AAC, outside of the numbers. But I will certainly get the BT11 for my iPhone/iPad. Let's hope we can see real world 900/990 rates...

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #1,900 of 2,121
Agreed. I'm not sure how much better LDAC is over AAC, outside of the numbers. But I will certainly get the BT11 for my iPhone/iPad. Let's hope we can see real world 900/990 rates...
In my humble opinion it’s definitely better. I hear AAC as somewhat muffled in comparison.

The issue I see with it though is that it is likely to be a big battery drain and the dongle will get very hot. I think this is why we haven’t seen an LDAC dongle before now. So, it will be interesting to see if SoC’s have now developed enough to encode LDAC power-efficiently.

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #1,901 of 2,121
1411Kbps is the bitrate required to deliver bit-perfect stereo 16bit/44.1khz
This is just the bitrate that is needed locally/internally within the playback device for zero latency. It’s not something you’d really consider in terms of Bluetooth transmission rate. Bluetooth devices can also be using memory buffers in lieu of or in combination with compression but this introduces latency considerations. With the use of a buffer, the Bluetooth transmission rate does not need to match the local playback bitrate anticipated.

As aptX Lossless is intended for music and not gaming, then there is more flexibility around the latency.

There is a lot of confusion around marketed bitrates. All too often, I see online articles and blogs comparing codec bitrates to one another as if that is a comparable factor when this is highly unlikely to be the case. The Bluetooth bitrate is just between the transmitter and receiver. It doesn’t tell us anything about the compression algorithm or buffering in use.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #1,903 of 2,121
Hello everybody,
I just grabbed a DG60P USB key from Avantree to get aptX Adaptative with my brand new Dali IO-12 headphones (on my Windows 11 computer) but looks like the receiver is stuck to double-fash BLUE every 5 seconds which means it is on aptX only.
The DG60P can have Adaptive so I'am wondering how this should be possible ? I can't find any Windows drivers in the Avantree support.
How did you guys get Adaptive with this device on Windows ?

Feb 5, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #1,904 of 2,121
I could not recommend that device after the same kind of issue with its predecessor the DG60.

A few of us here bought it to be the first to be able to get aptX HD on our PC's but it was bug ridden and a revision was made which was not much better and had a phantom Centre channel and L+R channels reversed (3 sliders in the Window Audio Control panel).

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:11 AM Post #1,905 of 2,121
I could not recommend that device after the same kind of issue with its predecessor the DG60.

A few of us here bought it to be the first to be able to get aptX HD on our PC's but it was bug ridden and a revision was made which was not much better and had a phantom Centre channel and L+R channels reversed (3 sliders in the Window Audio Control panel).
Thanks for your reply, I'm afraid that I will have to send my DG60P unit back then
Is there any alternative (about the same price range if possible) to finally have Adaptive in Windows from an USB key ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back