aptX Adaptive / aptX Lossless USB Transmitters
Aug 13, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #331 of 2,068
Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #332 of 2,068
For anything need Dongle Assistant v1.6 in English I have decompiled and translated it from the @mcnaugha post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/apt...usb-transmitters.961856/page-16#post-17035100 , download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NzmLNRoBv3MoSxyDOt_KPDz_xovJtsFf/view?usp=sharing
But seem like the force enable/disable the microphone seem don't work, at least at my case using the 1.3 firmware version, can it work with newer firmware version ?
Yes it needed newer firmware for the feature revealed in 1.6.

Aug 14, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #335 of 2,068
I’ve been researching phones now shipping with aptX Lossless with a view to finding the cheapest. :joy: There seems to be at least 11 on the market now. The cheapest I’ve found so far is the Xiaomi POCO F4 GT with 8GB RAM and 128GB storage. I found it for around £385 on Ali and that was from the official store.

It purports to support aptX HD, adaptive and lossless. Qualcomm literally just have two mobile SoC’s that support aptX Lossless just now and they’re at flagship level. The usual. Whenever they introduce a new tech, it’s only available at first at the high-end. The primary purpose of most of the phones at this level are as gaming devices.

There is a UK website selling the phone for £406 but I suspect they are just Ali importers making a small profit. From their reviews, they’re also at the mercy of whether or not the goods arrive from China.

The official UK version is limited to the 12GB 256GB model as its entry level. This makes it about £655 on Amazon. Lower models available from Amazon are not coming from UK stock, you’ll be waiting weeks to receive them and they probably won’t have a UK charger.

The Ali ones probably won’t have a UK charger either. Why do they even come with a charger, you ask? The charger is a special 120W one for hyper fast charging. I’m sure you could live without this if you wanted to. The battery life doesn’t seem like it’ll be great for gamers, hence the fast charging.

It’s quite expensive for an aptX Lossless transmitter. So, I’m trying to stop myself ordering one (perhaps selling my M11 Plus to fund). 🤣 Obviously it’s not much use until I have my NuraTrue Pro’s. With any luck the dongle will have materialised by then. Plus, who knows if Apple will finally pull its finger out and reveal hi-res lossless wireless tech next month and blow aptX Lossless away. I doubt it but would be cool.

Aug 14, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #336 of 2,068
If using KB8 in Android TV box and connected to an aptx adaptive headphone, is there a way to verify that aptx adaptive codec is being used?
Someone can comment if they’ve got an Android device which is able to tell what the dongle is up to. As far as I know, you only have the dongle’s LED to go on. The way I’m sure it’s not fooling us, is with receiving equipment which announces the codec it’s using. There’s also the sound quality. It works great with my UTWS5’s. You just have to trust the dongle’s LED. The chipsets are really cheap. So, they‘re unlikely to be conning you.

Aug 14, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #338 of 2,068
I’ve been researching phones now shipping with aptX Lossless with a view to finding the cheapest. :joy: There seems to be at least 11 on the market now. The cheapest I’ve found so far is the Xiaomi POCO F4 GT with 8GB RAM and 128GB storage. I found it for around £385 on Ali and that was from the official store.

It purports to support aptX HD, adaptive and lossless. Qualcomm literally just have two mobile SoC’s that support aptX Lossless just now and they’re at flagship level. The usual. Whenever they introduce a new tech, it’s only available at first at the high-end. The primary purpose of most of the phones at this level are as gaming devices.

There is a UK website selling the phone for £406 but I suspect they are just Ali importers making a small profit. From their reviews, they’re also at the mercy of whether or not the goods arrive from China.

The official UK version is limited to the 12GB 256GB model as its entry level. This makes it about £655 on Amazon. Lower models available from Amazon are not coming from UK stock, you’ll be waiting weeks to receive them and they probably won’t have a UK charger.

The Ali ones probably won’t have a UK charger either. Why do they even come with a charger, you ask? The charger is a special 120W one for hyper fast charging. I’m sure you could live without this if you wanted to. The battery life doesn’t seem like it’ll be great for gamers, hence the fast charging.
I am in the same waiting game as you for a AptX lossless source to go with the NuraPro True on order. How about the Asus Zenfone 9?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #339 of 2,068
Someone can comment if they’ve got an Android device which is able to tell what the dongle is up to. As far as I know, you only have the dongle’s LED to go on. The way I’m sure it’s not fooling us, is with receiving equipment which announces the codec it’s using. There’s also the sound quality. It works great with my UTWS5’s. You just have to trust the dongle’s LED. The chipsets are really cheap. So, they‘re unlikely to be conning you.
I’m guessing the KB9P won’t be needed while using my Edifier headphones? I tried my WH-1000XM5 with the stock Bluetooth on my PC and there was no lag and it still sounded really good despite being SBC

Aug 14, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #340 of 2,068
I am in the same waiting game as you for a AptX lossless source to go with the NuraPro True on order. How about the Asus Zenfone 9?

Definitely a nice phone and it's the highest available mobile SoC with lossless. My main phone is iPhone. Otherwise, it'd be easier to consider switching to one of these Snapdragon 8[+] Gen 1 phones. That's why I'm thinking, if I get one, then I'm going cheap as possible because I don't need all the rest of the phone's functionality.

In truth, I just need the damn dongle and some patience! 🤣 Probably this time next year, the market will be flooded with dongles, phones and TWS earbuds capable of lossless. Just look at how the availability of adaptive dongles has changed dramatically in way less than a year. It's also time someone brought out a DAP with one of the lossless Bluetooth SoC's.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #341 of 2,068
I’m guessing the KB9P won’t be needed while using my Edifier headphones? I tried my WH-1000XM5 with the stock Bluetooth on my PC and there was no lag and it still sounded really good despite being SBC
Is that for gaming or video though? It's all about what your use context is. Bluetooth doesn't really offer us both low latency/lag and high quality audio at the same time. It's one or the other. The Dongle Assistant for the KB9P lets you choose quality vs latency specifically for aptX Adaptive.

LDAC (at high quality setting) isn't suitable for gaming and risky for watching video. Although I watch TV using LDAC high quality a lot and rarely see bothersome lip sync issues. It's a bit pointless though because TV audio is rarely lossless. Only really with Blu-ray/4K physical media.

So, in games you're choosing between lag and quality and I suspect lag is way more significant.

What you'd want to do is compare the following scenarios:

1) WH-1000XM5 receiving SBC and the Edifer/KB9P (configured to low latency) then look for lag and compare sound quality. This is for gaming. Can you see a lag difference? Can you perceive a quality difference? The answers might be no.

2) WH-1000XM5 receiving hi-res lossless via LDAC High Quality with the Edifer/KB9P receiving the same source via aptX Adaptive (at short range 1-2 metres), configured to Quality in the Dongle Assistant, from a quality perspective but not a lag one since music [without video] doesn't really have a lag factor. This just allow you to compare music listening experience between these two headphones.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #342 of 2,068
Is that for gaming or video though? It's all about what your use context is. Bluetooth doesn't really offer us both low latency/lag and high quality audio at the same time. It's one or the other. The Dongle Assistant for the KB9P lets you choose quality vs latency specifically for aptX Adaptive.

LDAC (at high quality setting) isn't suitable for gaming and risky for watching video. Although I watch TV using LDAC high quality a lot and rarely see bothersome lip sync issues. It's a bit pointless though because TV audio is rarely lossless. Only really with Blu-ray/4K physical media.

So, in games you're choosing between lag and quality and I suspect lag is way more significant.

What you'd want to do is compare the following scenarios:

1) WH-1000XM5 receiving SBC and the Edifer/KB9P (configured to low latency) then look for lag and compare sound quality. This is for gaming. Can you see a lag difference? Can you perceive a quality difference? The answers might be no.

2) WH-1000XM5 receiving hi-res lossless via LDAC High Quality with the Edifer/KB9P receiving the same source via aptX Adaptive (at short range 1-2 metres), configured to Quality in the Dongle Assistant, from a quality perspective but not a lag one since music [without video] doesn't really have a lag factor. This just allow you to compare music listening experience between these two headphones.
For movies specifically

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #343 of 2,068
Definitely a nice phone and it's the highest available mobile SoC with lossless. My main phone is iPhone. Otherwise, it'd be easier to consider switching to one of these Snapdragon 8[+] Gen 1 phones. That's why I'm thinking, if I get one, then I'm going cheap as possible because I don't need all the rest of the phone's functionality.

In truth, I just need the damn dongle and some patience! 🤣 Probably this time next year, the market will be flooded with dongles, phones and TWS earbuds capable of lossless. Just look at how the availability of adaptive dongles has changed dramatically in way less than a year. It's also time someone brought out a DAP with one of the lossless Bluetooth SoC's.
Agree that a DAP would be a good way to go. Would think this is likely to appear within 6 Months.

Aug 14, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #344 of 2,068
7-D26-ACEB-F23-D-43-B3-BD5-E-8154-AFCB81-C0.jpg

This is from the M11S. They’ve added LHDC. This has got to be a good sign for getting LHDC on the M11 Plus and possibly other FiiO DAP’s for best quality reception on the UTWS5’s. 🤞🏼

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #345 of 2,068
For anything need Dongle Assistant v1.6 in English I have decompiled and translated it from the @mcnaugha post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/apt...usb-transmitters.961856/page-16#post-17035100 , download link: ( removed due to Google flag my file)
But seem like the force enable/disable the microphone seem don't work, at least at my case using the 1.3 firmware version, can it work with newer firmware version ?
Could you please upload it somewhere else or attach archive directly here?

Btw is there some newer firmware than current 1.5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back