April Music Eximus DP-1
Jan 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #77 of 803
I'll post a comparison to the WA6 once my DP1 arrives on Monday.

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #78 of 803

I was merely wondering if you can just cut the power line in the cable. Altering the unit would certainly be out of the question.  I've done this on the firewire cable for my Metric Halo ULN-2 and that works fine and brought a significant lowering of the noise floor. It sounds like in this case it won't work anyway, oh well.

This looks like a really nice piece. Is the headphone section truly good enough to displace a high end dedicated amp?
Quote:

I'm quite DIY savvy, but I've decided against either cracking open or electrically messing around w/ $3K pieces of kit that are still under full warranty
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #79 of 803
I'll post a comparison to the WA6 once my DP1 arrives on Monday.

Let it burn-in for a few days/weeks. Judging the SQ out of the box might not reflect how it will sound after its caps and transistors will have reached their optimal "aging". Caps burn-in is very real, you can see oscilloscope measurements on diyaudio...pretty impressive changes I would say! Easy to find via google too if you're curious to see them.

I was merely wondering if you can just cut the power line in the cable. Altering the unit would certainly be out of the question.  I've done this on the firewire cable for my Metric Halo ULN-2 and that works fine and brought a significant lowering of the noise floor. It sounds like in this case it won't work anyway, oh well.

This looks like a really nice piece. Is the headphone section truly good enough to displace a high end dedicated amp?

Well, "don't fix it if it ain't broken" is becoming my motto
normal_smile%20.gif

I'm all for a better shielded USB signal and all, but at this point I don't plan on cutting power wires or anything like that.

"High end" is a rather subjective term. That guy I quoted on audiogon prefered the $3K Cavali headamp. "High End" goes from $300 for some ppl to $10K for others. One thing's for sure, it sounds wonderful when I plug ortho phones to it
atsmile.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #85 of 803
One more tip if you are using the DP1 on your two channel system. Actually this works under any speakers and other electronics. Vibration absorbing gel pads can make a tremendous difference in the sound, moreso than spikes or cones. Anthony Gallo is now sending them with their speakers and I have now tried them under everything. I keep searching where to buy more, but I cannot find them. I would like to see some that are 2 inch round and 1/2 inch thick.

No, do not go to Victoria's Secret and cut up those Very Sexy bras with the gel pads in them

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #86 of 803
Personally, I always thought that isolation feet were über-snake oil, but I've built kludgy DIY ones using very thick felt discs, acoustic damping clay and dense rubber discs...and placebo or not, I'm very happy w/ the outcome
tongue.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #88 of 803
I don't listen to rock music, to me Placebo is that killer belgian funk band from the early 70's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RaeUN20sDE

I've listened to this tune more times than I could remember, the whole "Ball Of Eyes" album on the DP-1 is pure bliss really
popcorn.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #89 of 803

You will be very surprised if you use these gel pads, the best I have ever tried regardless of price.

Quote:
Personally, I always thought that isolation feet were über-snake oil, but I've built kludgy DIY ones using very thick felt discs, acoustic clay and dense rubber discs...and placebo or not, I'm very happy w/ the outcome
tongue.gif

Another big improvement tonight was when I turned my integrated to full volume and just used  the DP1 as the preamp. This is a must trial if you use an integrated. The soundstage width got much wifer and with detail, especially on the vocals.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #90 of 803

Quote:
One more tip if you are using the DP1 on your two channel system. Actually this works under any speakers and other electronics. Vibration absorbing gel pads can make a tremendous difference in the sound, moreso than spikes or cones. Anthony Gallo is now sending them with their speakers and I have now tried them under everything. I keep searching where to buy more, but I cannot find them. I would like to see some that are 2 inch round and 1/2 inch thick.

No, do not go to Victoria's Secret and cut up those Very Sexy bras with the gel pads in them

Get some Herbies, Tenderfeet or Iso-cups. Very effective, and they won't cost you $800 like Stillpoints stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back