April Music Eximus DP-1
Jan 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #63 of 803
How's the quality of the included AC and USB cables?

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #65 of 803
Thanks Tom.  Nice to see its a reasonable price!  Any thoughts as to a good value power cable?

Can anyone provide some pics of their setup/cables?  Would be fun to see...

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #67 of 803
Personally, I use a Lacie Flat Cable:

You can see that there are 8mm between the power and data lines:
Power and data can't quite interfere w/ one another, major bang for bucks here
popcorn.gif

I really concur w/ this review: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/acousticrevive2/2.html
A lesser cable (converter, USB DAC) washes out the soundstage. This is probably the strongest artifact of bad USB sound.

The SS on the Lacie was very noticeably clearer and wider than on my other round/ferrites ridden cables. I did spend more than 1H A/Bing a handful of them.

This PDF shows what regular ferrites do to USB signals on page 5: http://www.tdk.de/company/ACM2012SeriesPromotionMaterial.pdf

I plan on cutting the Lacie USB cable in two and discretely embed both power and data lines within several layers of 99.98% copper EMI shielding tape, it's gonna make up for another night & day I'm sure
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #68 of 803

Is there any reason you can't simply cut the power line entirely? Is it required for the driver to work? I assume the eximus doesn't actually draw power from the computer.

Quote:
I plan on cutting the Lacie USB cable in two and discretely embed both power and data lines within several layers of 99.98% copper EMI shielding tape, it's gonna make up for another night & day I'm sure
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #69 of 803
I believe the dac uses the power line to sense if the usb is active.  An isolator can help with cleaning up the 'dirty' power on usb. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #70 of 803
Allright, I pulled the trigger on an Eximus. I'm about to join the club.  :)
Is anyone going to buy the partnering amp when it becomes available?
It's class D but the info on the site claims it to be better than Class A/B amps.
Would be interesting to know how it compares to the Stello Ai500.

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #71 of 803
When does yours arrive AHM?  Mine is scheduled for the 23rd...can't wait!

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #74 of 803

Originally Posted by kstaken /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is there any reason you can't simply cut the power line entirely? Is it required for the driver to work? I assume the eximus doesn't actually draw power from the computer.

I'm quite DIY savvy, but I've decided against either cracking open or electrically messing around w/ $3K pieces of kit that are still under full warranty
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #75 of 803

Quote:
Allright, I pulled the trigger on an Eximus. I'm about to join the club.  :)
Is anyone going to buy the partnering amp when it becomes available?
It's class D but the info on the site claims it to be better than Class A/B amps.
Would be interesting to know how it compares to the Stello Ai500.

Congrats! I bet you won't be disappointed given the rave reviews the Eximus has been getting. Do post your impressions once you have a proper listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back