April Music Eximus DP-1
Jan 22, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #106 of 803

Just had a quick flick through the DP-1 manual PDF and it only mentions an XMOS driver for Windows.  Is it ASIO, then? 

Has anyone tried the DP-1 with JPLAY?  Reason I ask is because JPLAY recommends Kernal Streaming rather than ASIO 
tongue_smile.gif

The XMOS chip is UAC2 compliant, Thesysicon provide a windows wrapper that supports DS and native ASIO. I'm still on XP, so jplay's a no-go for me. I will be upgrading to W8 as soon as it'll hit RTM in a few months, but FWIR jplay won't do gapless so that'll still be a no-go. Try uLilith, it's a fantastic sounding player to my ears
cool.gif

I'm wondering if I'll need to update the the firmware when I get my DP1...tomorrow! 
beyersmile.png

Mine already had it when it came in.

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #108 of 803
Jan 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #110 of 803
You were looking at it in HKD - click the drop down in the upper right of the page to switch to USD.

As for the firmware update in OSX, I would contact your supplier about it, or just email April Music or 6moons perhaps.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #111 of 803
I'll try that, thanks.

And indeed, the price looks a lot better now.
Here's some info and prices on the AudioQuest cables. I'm using the Carbon.
Those are EU MSRP, I think they're quite a bit cheaper in the US, if that's where you live.
I have AQ cables for all of my audio and video gear.

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #112 of 803

As a Mac user, I don't need the driver it seems.

But I guess I would need to update the XMOS Chip firmware inside the DP-1, right?
Then how do I do that on a Mac?

The newest MacOS provide native USB Audio Class 2.0 support: http://www.xmos.com/news/13-jul-2010/first-usb-audio-20-reference-design-support-high-audio-channel-count

Native USB Audio 2 driver support is available in Apple Mac OSX 10.6.4

I don't think it will work at all if you don't run at least 10.6.4, as the U3 doesn't provide a UAC1 backward compatible mode.

You can still use bootcamp to install Windows on a Mac I think? Either way, there's a good chance that your DP-1 will come with the newest firmware. It wouldn't hurt to install bootcamp or use a laptop to check...and update it if need be
wink_face.gif

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #113 of 803
I have 10.7.2, and to avoid to ever have to pollute my Mac with Windows via Bootcamp or another emulator, I just bought a second hand netbook that should be delivered next week.  
wink_face.gif

I'll bug April Music a bit so they make an updater for OSX as well. I have the same problem with my motorcycle helmet and two mice. The mice do have Mac software but the firmware updaters are Windows only. God knows why, it shouldn't be that hard to make an app that connects via usb and downloads a bit of code to a device.

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #115 of 803

[size=x-small]This is the guy to email if you want the Virtue for $55. You will bever regret getting one.
jason.terpstra@gmail.com
[/size]
Quote:
http://store.virtueaudio.com/category-s/74.htm

Don't let the low price of this USB cable fool you. It is a giant killer for only $55. You do not have to pay hundreds to get a good cable. The item says out of stock, but they can make them if you want one. It has a huge soundstage while giving lots of detail. It easily beats the $250 Nordost USB cable.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #116 of 803
Hmm, I tried emailing him but it didn't go through.  Maybe he changed his email address.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #117 of 803

Quote:

The XMOS chip is UAC2 compliant, Thesysicon provide a windows wrapper that supports DS and native ASIO. I'm still on XP, so jplay's a no-go for me. I will be upgrading to W8 as soon as it'll hit RTM in a few months, but FWIR jplay won't do gapless so that'll still be a no-go. Try uLilith, it's a fantastic sounding player to my ears
cool.gif

JPlay supports gapless in hibernation mode, which is how you want to use it anyway. It's "on the list" to be added in the next release in normal mode.

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #118 of 803

Quote:
JPlay supports gapless in hibernation mode, which is how you want to use it anyway. It's "on the list" to be added in the next release in normal mode.

Hibernation mode means you cannot use your computer for anything else, such as using the internet, right? 
confused_face.gif

I would be forced into buying another computer if I used Hibernation.   In that case, you might just as well have a separate audio only PC or Mac- and another for work/ internet etc.  A fine-tuned 'audio only' computer would probably sound just as good as a general purpose laptop with JPlay/ Hibernation running, making the whole point of JPlay seem rather pointless.  Or have I missed something? 
tongue.gif

Quote:

cool.gif

Someone on the JPlay forum said that their DP1 was fully compatible with Hibernation full scale.  I guess they must be using ASIO rather than KS though, if the DP1 driver doesn't support it.  

uLilith seems to be Japanese only and google has been attempting to translate the page for five minutes and counting.  I'll report back if it ever finishes doing so 
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #119 of 803

Hibernation mode means you cannot use your computer for anything else, such as using the internet, right? 
confused_face.gif

Real men don't let themselves being distracted while listening to music ^^

Someone on the JPlay forum said that their DP1 was fully compatible with Hibernation full scale.  I guess they must be using ASIO rather than KS though, if the DP1 driver doesn't support it.  

AFAIK Vista/W7 provide KS support out of the box, it's being internally wrapped to WASAPI Exclusive...only XP needs custom KS drivers.

uLilith seems to be Japanese only and google has been attempting to translate the page for five minutes and counting.  I'll report back if it ever finishes doing so 
biggrin.gif

You can get it here: http://www.project9k.jp/download/uLilith/

It supports VST plugins OOTB, the whole audio pipeline works in 64fp(VST/lossy audio decoding/volume control), it's got many features I and it sounds wunderbar to my ears(I cannot stand fubar, which sounds totally wrong to me regardless of the DAC being used)
happy_face1.gif

I've heard killer feedback about jplay in beach mode, so I'll try it when I'll upgrade to W8 fosho! I'm also eager to try fidelizer and force the smallest HPET timer granularity possible, but I've beefed up XP to use it as well...it's just that HPET can go much lower. Also, native UAC2 support would be sweet!

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #120 of 803

Quote:

AFAIK Vista/W7 provide KS support out of the box, it's being internally wrapped to WASAPI Exclusive...only XP needs custom KS drivers.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. 

You can get it here: http://www.project9k.jp/download/uLilith/

Not sure if 'x64 Core 2.7z' is the correct version for Windows 7 64 bit, but it's sounding good right now playing Mad Professor with FLAC.  Cheers, dude.

Edit:  I didn't like the way Fidelizer kept changing my browser's home page but I should give it another try.

Real men don't let themselves being distracted while listening to music ^^

Lol, if you say so 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back