April Music Eximus DP-1
Jan 9, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #46 of 803
@leeperry, I am bright enough to realise that he is European - the Gypsies actually originated in *India*, but I was referring to his general appearance. 6Moons has long been notorious for giving glowing reviews (and awards) to sponsors products and considerably less digital 'ink' to gear from other manufacturers -  add the aforementioned 'purple prose' and reviews that go for 3-4 pages before actually attempting to discuss sonics and, well, you can guess where I'm going.

None of that automatically makes the products under review in any way inferior, but I view a lot of the reviews in the same way I would read a copy of 'What Hi-Fi' : lovely eye candy with a nice sale pitch thrown in. Srajan also has a very annoying habit of reusing the same stock phrases over several reviews, and working in considerable cross-promotion for Ken Wall. No doubt its all part of earning a living in a fickle industry, and I salute him for that, but I wouldnt base a single purchase decision on a 6Moons review.  

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #47 of 803
I don't think anyone here would be naive enough to buy a $3K unit w/o getting at least a 2 weeks loan first....you cannot possibly trust cyber-hearsay for this kind of money on such a highly subjective piece of gear as a DAC+headamp combo.

Writing reviews is not easy, I've tried it and will keep on trying...but it's not easy, and his review of the DP-1 has personally impressed me so kudos to him.

Talking about gypsies, I'm really always stunned by this tzigane band(the actual video +40mins long): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loZd4dPow4A

The first violin player you see w/ the darkest skin tone has played in a movie where he was doing some classical Tchaikovsky..my, oh my 
basshead.gif

I've collected all their CD's and DVD's, their music is pure bliss to my ears...Johnny Depp is also a huge fan and said that listening to Taraf was like being run over by an unstoppable train...that's one way to put it =) They also have a great audio engineering team so their music always scales amazingly well w/ any upgrade in my rig.

They're defintely one of the bands I'd crave seeing live, I would just go there w/ only pocket change on me though ^^

Cimbalom sounds seriously too good...guaranteed eargasms on discrete gear + mid-centric ortho phones combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlGttv-kct4

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #50 of 803
Strongly considering pulling the trigger on this unit - just wish there were some more reviews (both professional and non).

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #51 of 803

Over by Springfield. My friend and I have compared it to the Weiss Dac 202, Lampizator 3, Centrance Dac Mini, Ultra hifi, Zodiac Gold, and , Zodiac +. The Eximus beat oll of these, but when we set some gel pads feet under the Lampizator 3,it was pretty much a tie. The Lampizator 3 is $4000 with the USB input. The Weiss Dac  202 used  the firewire cable.

No, Eximus does not pay me anything.
Quote:
Hey, OzarkTom, what is your experience with the DP1.  What have you directly compared it to?

Where in the Ozarks are you?  I grew up in West Plains

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #52 of 803

6moons also gave out a top award to those Rethm Maargas speakers. Rethm never has advertised with 6moons.

Quote:
@leeperry, I am bright enough to realise that he is European - the Gypsies actually originated in *India*, but I was referring to his general appearance. 6Moons has long been notorious for giving glowing reviews (and awards) to sponsors products and considerably less digital 'ink' to gear from other manufacturers -  add the aforementioned 'purple prose' and reviews that go for 3-4 pages before actually attempting to discuss sonics and, well, you can guess where I'm going.

None of that automatically makes the products under review in any way inferior, but I view a lot of the reviews in the same way I would read a copy of 'What Hi-Fi' : lovely eye candy with a nice sale pitch thrown in. Srajan also has a very annoying habit of reusing the same stock phrases over several reviews, and working in considerable cross-promotion for Ken Wall. No doubt its all part of earning a living in a fickle industry, and I salute him for that, but I wouldnt base a single purchase decision on a 6Moons review.  

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #53 of 803
leeperry,
talking, about that

Quote:
"I don't think anyone here would be naive enough to buy a $3K unit w/o getting at least a 2 weeks loan first....you cannot possibly trust cyber-hearsay for this kind of money on such a highly subjective piece of gear as a DAC+headamp combo."

do you have any idear of the retail price of this unit in france and if there is a retailer fine with a loaning period first.
looking forward to hear from you (PM is also fine too).
kindest regards

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #54 of 803
After searching for 8 months for a DAC, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the DP1 from Moon Audio.  I currently have a SBTouch + WA6 + HD580.  Hope this was the right choice!

Gets to Seattle on the 20th...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #55 of 803

Quote:
After searching for 8 months for a DAC, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the DP1 from Moon Audio.  I currently have a SBTouch + WA6 + HD580.  Hope this was the right choice!

Gets to Seattle on the 20t

Congradulations! This is a great choice and the headphone amp sounds great also.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #57 of 803
Has anyone heard both the Eximus and W4S Dac2? Might not really be comparable but I'd still like to know.
Any thoughts on the upcoming Wadia 121?

And is there a way to buy this Dac straight from Korea? I live in Europe and it's gonna be pricey here I'm sure.
A PSAudio PWD is $1200 more expensive here than in the US, for Stax amps count €1000 on top of US prices as well.
So if there's a source in Asia that might be very interesting over here.
I already mailed the distributor here for his price, waiting for an answer and not sure he even Does the Eximus line, only a few April products are on his site.

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #59 of 803

An audio company from Europe(Earo LoudSpeakers) told me at RMAF the Zodiac Gold easily beats the W4S. The Eximus beats the Zodiac Gold. Therefore.......... 

I just wish it had a remote.

Quote:
Has anyone heard both the Eximus and W4S Dac2? Might not really be comparable but I'd still like to know.
Any thoughts on the upcoming Wadia 121?

And is there a way to buy this Dac straight from Korea? I live in Europe and it's gonna be pricey here I'm sure.
A PSAudio PWD is $1200 more expensive here than in the US, for Stax amps count €1000 on top of US prices as well.
So if there's a source in Asia that might be very interesting over here.
I already mailed the distributor here for his price, waiting for an answer and not sure he even Does the Eximus line, only a few April products are on his site.

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #60 of 803
Thanks for the info.
The Zodiac never did me much, I get the idea it's more a marketing company than anything else. I had a PWD before and got the same feeling there.
I do appreciate the W4S price strategy (same price globally) and ordered their new Mint for desktop use, it's quality will be fine for my use and it has all the conveniences I could wish for.
However, when it comes to the DAC I'm more picky since it will be used with my Yammy and Zana. The Eximus might be it for me, especially since you all are so positive about it and are not talking bs here in this thread. I'm not all that trusty of the 6Moons reviews, can't remember when they reviewed a piece of gear that wasn't worth a multiple of it's price. And they have/used to have a reviewer there that I found completely ridiculous with his raving about anything he reviewed.
I couldn't care less about the remote and it has all the connectivity I could ever want. Now I need to find a good place to buy it.

Keep your opinions and comparisons coming though guys, they are really appreciated!  :)
Especially interested how it compares to the PWD since I used to have that one.

EDIT: Just came across THIS as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back