April Music Eximus DP-1
Jun 15, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #796 of 803
The implications of trying to help ZeusOdin just struck.
One of the things I like about the DP1 is that there are not many buttons to push. That it doesn't work the CD player is not good. You want it to work on all of the inputs no matter what you will generally use. It looks like the SOtM sMS-200ultra has a USB out. But it looks like the DP1 has a problem.
One good thing about Ebay. You can get your money back. I ended up taking my Brooklyn DAC off Head-fi and putting it on Ebay. I listed it as no returns, but, there is always returns if the item is not as described. The guy who was the high bidder claimed it did not work. Ebay managed the whole return, holding my money until I received the return of the DAC and made the refund. When I checked it out, it was exactly as I had described it, everything perfect. So Ebay will take care of you. There is a DP1 on Audiogon that has been there for quite a while.

Jun 16, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #797 of 803
One good thing about Ebay. You can get your money back. I ended up taking my Brooklyn DAC off Head-fi and putting it on Ebay. I listed it as no returns, but, there is always returns if the item is not as described. The guy who was the high bidder claimed it did not work. Ebay managed the whole return, holding my money until I received the return of the DAC and made the refund. When I checked it out, it was exactly as I had described it, everything perfect. So Ebay will take care of you. There is a DP1 on Audiogon that has been there for quite a while.
I'm not worried. The seller is The Music Room based in Erie, CO. My suspicion is they did not do adequate testing on the unit when they received it. One of their techs replied that each unit undergoes a series of thorough tests and the unit definitely works. What I can say is that if I (1) connect CD player directly to my receiver and (2) connect the same CD player to the DAC and the DAC to same receiver on a different input, #1 plays perfectly fine while #2 plays at an extremely low volume. The CD is send the same output to both the receiver and the DAC. Both outputs are verified as working. So clearly the unit was not checked. I initiated a return yesterday which TMR has yet to approve. I will give them 2 more days then will dispute the charge with both my credit card and PayPal. I can see cheaper DP1s on EBay and elsewhere.

I have decided to go another route. Have you ever heard of Audio Science Review? I just came across the site. It debunks many hifi myths and is run by engineers. They test a lot of gear and recommend many. They don't do Stereophile-type reviews. They depend on the scientific testings to determine what is good. Then you have to listen and read subjective reviews to determine if you would like to purchase. Amazing. So I have decided to sort their recommendations by price and see what type of a DAC can I get for $1k. Their reference DAC is the $380 iFi Micro iDAC2! How can a sub $2k DAC be called "reference" in any sense of the word?!? I have much to learn, Grasshopper.

FYI, I don't know what part of Brooklyn you are in, but I was in Red Hook, Carroll Gardens, and Cobble Hill this weekend. I had an amazing meal at Buttermilk Channel. Brooklyn has some serious artists ... and warehouses for that matter. Lol

Thanks again for all your help. I have a complete system finally except a working DAC. I am looking to make a decision today, but unfortunately I have a certain threshold of reading I must do to make an informed decision. Will let you know the final decision.

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #798 of 803
I'm not worried. The seller is The Music Room based in Erie, CO. My suspicion is they did not do adequate testing on the unit when they received it. One of their techs replied that each unit undergoes a series of thorough tests and the unit definitely works. What I can say is that if I (1) connect CD player directly to my receiver and (2) connect the same CD player to the DAC and the DAC to same receiver on a different input, #1 plays perfectly fine while #2 plays at an extremely low volume. The CD is send the same output to both the receiver and the DAC. Both outputs are verified as working. So clearly the unit was not checked. I initiated a return yesterday which TMR has yet to approve. I will give them 2 more days then will dispute the charge with both my credit card and PayPal. I can see cheaper DP1s on EBay and elsewhere.

I have decided to go another route. Have you ever heard of Audio Science Review? I just came across the site. It debunks many hifi myths and is run by engineers. They test a lot of gear and recommend many. They don't do Stereophile-type reviews. They depend on the scientific testings to determine what is good. Then you have to listen and read subjective reviews to determine if you would like to purchase. Amazing. So I have decided to sort their recommendations by price and see what type of a DAC can I get for $1k. Their reference DAC is the $380 iFi Micro iDAC2! How can a sub $2k DAC be called "reference" in any sense of the word?!? I have much to learn, Grasshopper.

FYI, I don't know what part of Brooklyn you are in, but I was in Red Hook, Carroll Gardens, and Cobble Hill this weekend. I had an amazing meal at Buttermilk Channel. Brooklyn has some serious artists ... and warehouses for that matter. Lol

Thanks again for all your help. I have a complete system finally except a working DAC. I am looking to make a decision today, but unfortunately I have a certain threshold of reading I must do to make an informed decision. Will let you know the final decision.
I live in Brooklyn Heights, so you were in my general neighborhood. I know Buttermilk Channel well. There is good art and good music. There is a jazz renaissance going on.
I am a retired university professor. If you are interested in art, you might be interested to know that my daughter works at the Whitney. She is responsible for everything you read on the walls, all of the audio guides, and much of what is on the website.
I don't buy into Audio Science Review. It is a kind of fundamentalist religion. I would be interested in being able to directly compare some of their recommendations to the Eximus or the Brooklyn or the Shiit Yggdrasil, to say nothing of the very expensive DACs, but there is a lot going on in audio gear that there is no good measure for. Of course, for $380, there is no reason to give it a shot. Good luck, Don

Jun 23, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #799 of 803
I'm sorry, I just can't do it. The Topping D90SE weighs only 2.4 lbs. I love the heft, so I am hunting for another DP1. I too have been hearing many grumblings around ASR. Data and technical measurements are nothing more than tools. I heard that many at ASR technical measures are the ONLY concern. That's absurd. It we are talking music: How does it sound? How does it make you feel? Those are the only things I am concerned with.

Brooklyn has always been amazing. I didn't now about the jazz renaissance but art and crusty warehouses make up at least half of Brooklyn. Extremely beautiful. In Red Hook at 95 Dikeman St an artist turned rusted metal into dinosaurs. I'm sorry what guy doesn't love dinosaurs?!? Lol. If you want to meet at the Whitney, the Met, Museum of Natural History, or Buttermilk Channel, just let me know. I work on Wall St valuing interest rate derivatives. Not for everyone but I love it.

Will let you know how my DP1 travails end. Again thanks so much.

Jul 6, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #802 of 803
HI,

I had the DP1 for years; it is a sweet sounding DAC with great build and nice headphone output. A quick caveat about comparisons with other DACs- the DP1 output is higher than typical - I believe 3V single-ended instead of 2. I ended up using the DP-1 volume control to level match using a microphone and SPL meter (about 5-6 clicks down from wide open). After that, the routine ass kicking the DP1 was giving the Topping D90 under comparison disappeared. To my ears and in my system, the differences morphed into more of a "different flavors" thing. I actually ended up preferring the D90 using HQ player upsampling options. It is possible that defeating the volume on the DP-1 marginally diminished its sound quality.
I agree, "the DP1 output is higher than typical." I connected the DP1 in volume bypass mode to my receiver. It was 50% louder than my CD player and TV. I had to forego bypass mode and reduce the DP1 volume. The SQ is still amazing.

Jul 6, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #803 of 803
Some unseen goodies in the DP1 too …
When April Music had several lines the Eximus was their top tier range,
below that was the Stello range and within that was the well reviewed Stello U3 USB to SPDIF converter,
The electronics of that are the USB input of the DP1 … 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back