Appreciation thread for the Ray Samuels - SR-71A: I just spend the night listening to the SR-71A with a cold beer and nothing to distract me.
Nov 23, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #76 of 145
I'm starting to see a sect-like devotion here.
eek.gif

Sorry, guys, I dont drink the Kool Aid until someone shows me the ingredients. Some here are just flatout high when they give their impressions of kit.

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #79 of 145
Let me guess - beautiful, beautiful music, right ? 
rolleyes.gif

OK, so it was Mike from Headfonia's choice when he compared about 12 portable amps 6 or so months ago, and not a whole lot has changed in the single-ended portable market since then, 

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #81 of 145

Quote:
Let me guess - beautiful, beautiful music, right ? 
rolleyes.gif

OK, so it was Mike from Headfonia's choice when he compared about 12 portable amps 6 or so months ago, and not a whole lot has changed in the single-ended portable market since then, 

I haven't had any experience with the more expensive or high end amps, so coming from the Soundmagic A10 and Fiio E11, the SR-71 to me has much cleaner sound.  I'd have to say, after a brief comparison, the E11 holds its own very well at such a lower cost.  

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #82 of 145
Just listen to them. You will hear music. 

So True! Just when I thought I had the best with the Stepdance the goal post were moved with the arrival of the 71-B.

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #84 of 145
I have never used any hifiman product so I could not tell you - but I can tell you the RS-71A is a powerhouse amp - has a warmish mid section but balanced nicely in particular with the bass. Plenty of sound-stage, excellent clarity and awesome separation. Detail is fantastic too. It's my favorite head-amp EVER....

Still I have no idea about the sound signature of the 901 - sorry I cant be of much help...

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #86 of 145
Quote:
Would this amp be a good partner for a hifiman 901 does anybody recon? Or has anybody matched this pair up together.

Haven't used a 901 either, but I'm guessing this amp will enhance any high end source.  Depending on your phones, 901 may not need amping.   I do know if you're planning to use iem's as well as full size, the RSA has a black silent background with them.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #87 of 145
This amp was intended to drive the hd600 which it does wonderfully and they are 300 ohms....the blackbird really does have a black background. Iem's benefit not so much from the volume as the incredible SQ...

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #88 of 145
Quote:
This amp was intended to drive the hd600 which it does wonderfully and they are 300 ohms....the blackbird really does have a black background. Iem's benefit not so much from the volume as the incredible SQ...

Agreed!  I bought my RSA specifically for my HD600's (medium gain), and I also use it for my Westone W4's, on low gain.  There may be newer, more technologically advanced options out there, but so far I haven't felt the need or temptation to try them!

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #90 of 145
Quote:
I might be a minority here by asking how SR-71A pairs with Grado PS1000. But that's what I have right now. Any opinion will be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks you.

Haven't tried the amp with any Grado phones, but if you read about the Ray Samuels sound signature, it is often referred to as "dark".  I don't perceive this as veiled or rolled off highs so much as lush sounding (which I love), yet still bringing out the detail in music and enhancing the soundstage.  I can only guess that this would be a plus with brighter headphones like Grado and Beyerdynamics.  Bet your 1000's make everything sound good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back