Appreciation thread for the Ray Samuels - SR-71A: I just spend the night listening to the SR-71A with a cold beer and nothing to distract me.
Jan 27, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #121 of 145
Thank you. I have the HD800 and a desktop amp, and it’s great.

I’m looking at the dragonfly red or cobalt, and wondering if it would work well on the go or at least away from my desk with my SR 71A and HD800, and it sounds like it will.

Yeah, I use a similar setup with a Radsone ES100 plus the SR-71A so I don't have to be cabled to a phone/computer. I don't usually use my HD800 this way, but I've tested the setup, and the SR-71A had plenty of power for it.

The only caveat is, if you prefer (as many do) to use a tube amp with the HD800, then of course the SR-71A would not provide that kind of sound coloration.

Jan 28, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #122 of 145
Thanks guys. How about for UE 18’s? I have the 2011 version. I had kids around then and non-coincidence I’ve been mostly off the forums since than, kids and headphones are expensive!

To my ears the low setting seems best.

I just got Tidal and really like the hifi, and am just getting out my best headphones (UE18 and HD800) to use with my phone and amp. I’ll also get a DAC, probably the firefly red or cobalt to use along with it.

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #123 of 145
Old thread but I just ordered a new SR-71A Blackbird from Ray. He had run out of PCB boards but still had components and chassis. He was still getting calls for it so he decided to order a batch of PCBs. However, these will be assembled by Ray as orders come. This was a good reason to finally order one.

I have also recently found that using Ray's portables with my phone's DAC and UAAP sounds as good if not better than those phone dongles.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #127 of 145
Well, I learned something new...I thought you would need a DAC in-between to convert to analog.

Ahh I see, your connector probably has a little DAC chip in it...
It does not have a chip. It is just taking the out from the USB on the phone just like the type C to female 3.5 connector but substitutes the male connector.

Dec 15, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #128 of 145
Wow this thread is still alive? I'm a fan Rays portable amps and till this day still use my SR71A, Tomahawk and XP7.

Also, looks like the website was updated for this year and there's a 30% off all portable amps. If only the SR71B could be revised with a 4.4mm jack I'd pick one up for sure.
https://www.raysamuelsaudio.com

Dec 15, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #129 of 145
I think all you can do is get an RSA balance to female 4.4 mm adapter. That is what I did. Same if you wanted to use it with full size headphones where you get a RSA balanced to female 4 pin xlr adapter.

Dec 20, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #130 of 145
Wow this thread is still alive? I'm a fan Rays portable amps and till this day still use my SR71A, Tomahawk and XP7.

Also, looks like the website was updated for this year and there's a 30% off all portable amps. If only the SR71B could be revised with a 4.4mm jack I'd pick one up for sure.
https://www.raysamuelsaudio.com
The SR-71A isn't included according to Ray. He hand builds it where most of the others had their PCB machine built. It does mean the SR-71B is roughly the same price as SR-71A.

My SR-71A came in today; S/N 11756. While I have most of Ray's portables, this is the first time I am listening to the SR-71A. I am listening through UAPP using Qobuz to it. Headphones are the ES Lab's R-10. What an amazing pairing. I can't believe I never looked into this one before.

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #131 of 145
Reviving this thread!

Got my SR-71A 20 July this year, S/N: 12XXX ~ This amp was a dream item in my teens when it was first launched, can never afford it then haha. I wasn't sure if Ray was still selling amps but decided to give it a go and got it! I love this the SR-71A so much, very very neutral, clean and silent amp even for my IEMs which I primary use on. I run it from:

[1] Ipod 5G -> LOD -> SR-71A
[2] P30 Pro Spotify -> Questyle M15 -> SR-71A
[3] Drop ODAC -> SR-71A

Sold my headphones long ago after i got my Regas and now I'm back to having portables since we're going back to office. Currently using the SR-71A with Final A5000 and Tago Studio T3-02.

The only issue I have is with getting the right batteries. I've tried Li-On and Ni-mH ~ the 380mAH Ni-Mh max 6 hours these days and the 10,000 mAH probably does 15hrs. Both are MIC and I'm too cheap to run them off Alkaline lol.

I'll probably get the SR-71B next for balanced, and also looking to collect his other amps in the resale market. Cheers fellas!

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #134 of 145
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back