Appreciation thread for the Ray Samuels - SR-71A: I just spend the night listening to the SR-71A with a cold beer and nothing to distract me.
May 5, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #61 of 145
don't have a photo handy, but the connection is simple:

USB out of Macbook pro into HRT MSII+. Out the of the MSII+ is an RCA to mini jack cable from Blue Jeans. That goes into the SR-71A and then I have a custom Blue Dragon headphone cable from Moon audio.

Recently I added an external powered USB hub. I didn't intend this to be an audio upgrade, i just needed more ports. But WOW, when I plug the dac into that instead of directly into the macbook pro i was amazed to find the sound more open and less grainy.  

May 5, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #62 of 145
I use my Yulong D100 AS stand alone DAC feeding signal to my SR-71A using standard stereo to mini interconnects made by Blue Jeans...

HOLY!!!! The sound is just SOLID - it was already solid with the ipod and LOD connector - but now - when using it with the D100 ( a neutral DAC) - the sound is SOLID.....

Only gets better and it was already more than great!

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #63 of 145
I upgraded my dac and cans, but not my Sr-71a. I got the Anedio D1 and the LCD-2's with ALO copper Chainmail cable.

Sounds incredible. The Sr-71A now presents a slightly wider soundstage, even better resolution. A more open clean sound than with the MSII+ and the HD650's. No veil that I can detect.

I thought I'd need a desktop amp to drive the LCD-2's, and I've read they really shine with more power, but to my ears the SR-71A drives them just fine. On high gain I can only get to around 11'oclock before it's too loud.

And again, the sound is open, not congested. I got a more congested sound using the MSII+ plugged directly into my mac. It opened slightly when using an external powered USB hub, but nothing like with the Anedio D1. 

As for the LCD-2 versus the HD650's? It's a whole new world with the LCD-2's. But the comparison test was done with the HD650's. 

So I decided to wait on a desktop amp and just enjoy the SR71A's completely upscaled sonics (from lows to highs, hearing all new stuff in familiar songs)

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #64 of 145

Quote:
After 10 hours of listening these past two days - I maintain it's the best amp I have ever heard - EVER - and I can't wait to hear the Ray Samuels HR-2 that I will be getting this summer...

Isnt June 1 the start of the Northern Summer ? Thats 15 days and no sign of the HR-2 - I eagerly await your impressions.
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #65 of 145
HAHA - I am getting to the HR-2 and actually I was late finishing my payments on it - I guess it will be another two weeks .... sorry bout that. I'm very happy Kevin has enjoyed the SR-71A - and glad you found that the LCD-2 could be driven without a flinch from the AMP...it is damn sweet to listen to...

This summer I will finally review the SR-71A and in the fall - HR-2 after I have burned that it.

The HR_2 appreciation thread will have a life of its own...

Sep 2, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #66 of 145
@Syan25,

Just wanted to say that I've just ordered an SR-71A from Ray today - let's hope my experience is as good as yours has been!

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #67 of 145
I've been researching on upgrading my portable amp for awhile now.  I've enjoyed the Fiio E11 for several months and have decided to get the champion of all portable amps and just ordered the SR-71A.  Looking forward to the Heavenly sounds.  

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #68 of 145
When Ray starts backing advertising like this up with actual measurements, I'll take another look at his portable amps:

best audio specs ever when it comes to low noise, bandwidth, slew rate & dynamics.

How about it, Ray ?

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #69 of 145
Nov 22, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #70 of 145
Thanks for that, Ray - 2005 was a good year. As I understand it, you were forced to re-design the SR-71, and I've never seen measurements for the SR71A or the SR71B - it would be fantastic to see both amps measured.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #71 of 145
Just listen to them. You will hear music. 

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #72 of 145
True, but I hear music now. Cheaply. Is it too much to ask the biggest name in portable amps to provide a few measurements for amps released post-2005 ? 

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #74 of 145

Quote:
Trust your ears Luke 
tongue.gif

Keep honkin' - I'm reloading.  
wink.gif

These are the specs given for 'The Raptor' - I am simply asking for something similar to be provided for the portable amps:

Specifications * Input impedance 50K * Frequency response 10-300k * Total harmonic distortion around .09% * Output impedance 32-2000 ohms * Gain around 14 * Tube compliment, one12AU7 for input * Driver tubes two 5687 as buffers. h2. Dimensions (Amp Section) * Front, left to right, 5.75” * Depth, front to back, 4.25” * Height, no tubes, 2.00” * Height with tubes, 4.00” h2. Dimensions (Power supply) * Front, left to right, 8.00” * Depth, front to back, 5.75” * Height, 3.00” * Weight around 8 pounds.

If I helps, I'm sure I can put the HTML together to render those specs as a table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back