Apple iPad is Offical
Jan 28, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #121 of 392
I still can't think of anything this would do for me that I don't already have covered with my iphone and macbook. I think if someone only had a desktop and was looking for something portable this would be perfect. A desktop/ipad combo would be pretty sweet. But for someone like me that already has two portable options it doesn't make any sense. If i didn't already have my laptop and iphone I would consider buying one, but as it stands now unless there is a killer app only for the ipad I can't see myself ever needing one.

that being said, i hope at least one of my friends buys one so I can play with it.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #122 of 392
what's interesting is the disconnect between the users and the tech media...

all the workaday gadget heads are posting comments trashing the thing, while the tech reporters are writing reams of drooling adulation.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #124 of 392
Quote:

Currently, there aren't any users because it is not on the market, yet. The people will make up their minds with their money. Personally, I want to see if the multitask issue is addressed before deciding. However, I have a laptop (which is no fun to read in bed) and an iPhone which is okay to read in bed, but I would prefer a larger platform. The price of the cheapest version is similar to a Kindle, so its eReader capabilities alone will attract a lot of attention.

It should also be great for photos. Someone asked why not just get out a book with photos and flip through it? The answer is that you can carry this over to a friend/relatives house and show them pictures without bringing a wheelbarrow along. You could bring a laptop, but it is more cumbersome to pass around.

I could also see using this as a picture viewer on my nightstand that runs when I am not using it. No one would do that with a laptop/netbook.

Most of the geeks (users?) are interested in what it can't do. I like reading their reviews because it helps to decide if I can live without features that they mention. But some of the print media is more focused on what it can do, so there is a place for their opinions, too.

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #126 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iSlate Tablet touchdown in 2010? - SlashGear

I still like iSlate over iPad...sounds much sleeker and cleaner.

I agree. iPad is so generic-sounding to me. iSlate sounds much more unique.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #127 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. iPad is so generic-sounding to me. iSlate sounds much more unique.

Slate > Pad. It just flat out sounds better.

On another note, I really currently don't see much of a strong niche or sensible usage for this. But I haven't personally played around with it (one of my editors did yesterday at the press event).

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #128 of 392
As ive said in another thread on head-fi... i see major uses for this.. possible macosx install via modified bootloader as snow leopard before updates is ARM compatible (ipad)... also i see it has USB OTG, meaning you can hopefully load files from a portable hdd for media uses
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #129 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

all the workaday gadget heads are posting comments trashing the thing, while the tech reporters are writing reams of drooling adulation.

It's the Hardcore Enthusiast - General Public gap that's present in every hobby. Most tech rags are staffed by moderately informed journalist types writing for the general public.

Being low information also increases the drool factor. Most mobile gearheads could have guessed that the A4 was likely just an ARM Cortex variant ala Tegra/Snapdragon, and yet the tech press was hyping up it's 'groundbreaking' nature and how Apple was gearing up to challenge Intel. Reality distortion indeed.

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #130 of 392
Jan 29, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #131 of 392
How come apple won't support flash? I don't really care about it on my ipod touch. But on everything else it is really necessary.

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #132 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laokid18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How come apple won't support flash? I don't really care about it on my ipod touch. But on everything else it is really necessary.

Teh mooneys. Apple wants to sell you its apps, videos, music, etc., not let you watch streaming video or play free flash games online. (I believe they get a cut of all apps/videos/music sold or something)

I think the iPad will probably do well among current ipod/iphone enthusiasts who are used to the pros and cons. But consumers who're hesitant on jumping to the apple bandwagon probably won't be swayed.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #133 of 392
Quote:

Teh mooneys. Apple wants to sell you its apps, videos, music, etc., not let you watch streaming video or play free flash games online.

Then why did they put YouTube on the iPhone? Also, why did they allow a program like Orb or Slingbox? These are for viewing non-Apple video. Also, they have Pandora, last.fm, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, etc... as alternatives to the Apple Store music.

I think they mainly have issues with the Flash software and how it runs on portable devices. They want a new standard. I am not saying they don't like making money, but they have plenty of apps that cut into their revenue streams now.

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #134 of 392
The reason for flash capability not being on the iphone/ipad is not because apple does not want people playing flash games. If you do a simple google search about adobe and apple working together to make flash work for the iphone/ipod touch you will see that they have run into problems, and adobe says that it is a challenge getting a mobile flash plugin to work on these devices but it will be available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back