Apple iPad is Offical
Dec 25, 2009 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 392

DeusEx

Headphoneus Supremus
Apple iPad official - SlashGear

iSlate Tablet touchdown in 2010? - SlashGear

Apple_iPad_official_1-540x306.jpg

Apple announced the new iPad in their live media event today. The iPad specs that have been revealed so far are below.

iPad specs

* Display: 9.7 inch IPS
* Weight: 1.5 lbs
* 0.5 inches thin
* Battery life: 10 hours
* Accelerometer and Compass
* Speaker, Microphone, and 30 pin connector
* WiFi 802.11n
* Processor: 1GHz Apple A4 chip
* Storage: 16-64GB Flash
* Full capacative multi-touch

Pricing: $499 for 16GB, 32GB for $599, and $699 64GB.
Adding 3G costs a $130 per model. The 3G version runs on AT&T and comes with new data plans: 250MB for $14.99 and an unlimited plan for $29.99 a month contract-free.

I'm definitely hesitating on getting this.

Dec 25, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 392
Assuming the basics are captured, such as usability, my decision to get one of these will be based on:

1. Price
2. Value
3. No iPhone/iPod touch OS. I want an OS X with whatever hardware specific things they need to include. I want to run whatever apps I can run for OS X. If Apple can build an input abstraction layer that translates whatever multitouch input into something mouse-like to run with OS X apps, then that will be a huge advantage to adoption for me.
4. Dev kit availability. Apple are excellent in this regard, and if they want people to code quality apps for these devices, then they will allow reasonable access to the hardware. They'll get this right, I suspect.

Dec 25, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 392
I think "iSlate" is okay. It's a bit weird to say, which is out of line for Apple products (iMac, iPhone, iPod).

Eh, on second thought, that actually might be a pretty bad thing.

Dec 25, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tablet touchdown in 2010? - SlashGear

Wow. Wonder if I'm going to get one of these, already owning an iPhone/iTouch...

Well, what would you do with both? While Apple may sell a lot of these, I don't think it is going to be as huge a seller as the iPhone due to its larger size making portability more cumbersome.

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 392
Tablets. Are. Stupid.

There, I said it.

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tablets. Are. Stupid.

There, I said it.

Im not a fan either as much typing as i do it would suck to type like that. Would take forever to write a paper or take notes on it etc.

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i's late
wink.gif

yeah... i was thinking "Apple Is Late"
tongue.gif

still, if the keyboard input is decent and basic word processing is available for it, i'd hit that.

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tablets. Are. Stupid.

There, I said it.

Not for everything - they do have applications.
They just suck for everything else.

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 392
I don't think it's going to be targeted towards replacing a laptop. I've heard rumors that Apple is going to start adding books, magazines and newspapers to iTunes so the tablet will replace print media.

I think Apple is taking direct aim at the Kindle - they want to own print the same way the iPod has dominated music and the iPhone has done very well as a smartphone.

If Apple gets the print media angle right, this could really clean up. My guess is that it will run most or all iPhone apps, too, so it'll be pretty handy.

Of course, Microsoft will then introduce a print media tablet sort of like Apple's around 2013.
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's going to be targeted towards replacing a laptop. I've heard rumors that Apple is going to start adding books, magazines and newspapers to iTunes so the tablet will replace print media.

I think Apple is taking direct aim at the Kindle - they want to own print the same way the iPod has dominated music and the iPhone has done very well as a smartphone.

If Apple gets the print media angle right, this could really clean up. My guess is that it will run most or all iPhone apps, too, so it'll be pretty handy.

Of course, Microsoft will then introduce a print media tablet sort of like Apple's around 2013.
wink.gif

The key to this, is good battery life. Maybe this thing is one GIANT BATTERY with a screen. Or wait, there are those OLED screens. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Dec 26, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #15 of 392
Quote:

I think Apple is taking direct aim at the Kindle

Except that there is already a Kindle app for the iPhone. Are people who use a Kindle going to switch to a tablet? Are iPhone users who don't have a Kindle and only use the app going to get this instead? Despite the growing popularity of eReaders, netbooks are still the hot ticket and I think any tablet Apple indtroduces will be their version of one.

Whatever it does, it must be unique. Otherwise I don't see why people would by a tablet in addition to or in lieu of their iPhones or Touches

Users who are viewing this thread

Back