Apple iPad is Offical
Jan 29, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #136 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then why did they put YouTube on the iPhone? Also, why did they allow a program like Orb or Slingbox? These are for viewing non-Apple video. Also, they have Pandora, last.fm, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, etc... as alternatives to the Apple Store music.

Don't you have to purchase many of those types of apps? Money may not be the only issue, but it's a notable one nonetheless.

For a smartphone/PMP, I can understand not having flash since it can slow down browsing, and real estate on those small screens is limited. But on a fairly powerful tablet with a 1024-by-768 res screen? It's at the very least questionable.

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #138 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iphone-flash-message.jpg

biggrin.gif

We'll see how this device does. If it kills netbooks, I honestly couldn't care less. In my opinion this world needs to bring back the personal digital assistant. My HP 210 can do way more than any iPod Touch or iPad for my purposes.

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #139 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iphone-flash-message.jpg

Is that an actual screenshot?! Gawd! When did Apple and Adobe become at odds with each other. That's ridiculous. If it wasnt for each other, they wouldnt exist! Do we forget that Adobe (who make the best software in the world, in my opinion) created Photoshop for the Mac? Adobe was the company that made creative fonts happen for Mac desktop publishing along with Illustrator, and the whole Creative Suite team. Why the hell should Apple throw up a roadblock to an Adobe product? As I said, they'd be nowhere with each other! Hell, I would have bought a PC!

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #140 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's interesting how you could justify buying something that has missing features on the hope that they will come later.

Pretty much all computing hardware is like that, outdated by the time you get it LOL!

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #141 of 392
What's the big deal with Flash, anyway? I usually browse with Flash disabled. It mostly serves annoying ads. I see the lack of Flash on the iPhone as sort of a benefit.

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #142 of 392
Jan 29, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #143 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason for flash capability not being on the iphone/ipad is not because apple does not want people playing flash games. If you do a simple google search about adobe and apple working together to make flash work for the iphone/ipod touch you will see that they have run into problems, and adobe says that it is a challenge getting a mobile flash plugin to work on these devices but it will be available.

no.

from Adobe's own blog:

Quote:

It looks like Apple is continuing to impose restrictions on their devices that limit both content publishers and consumers. Unlike many other ebook readers using the ePub file format, consumers will not be able to access ePub content with Apple's DRM technology on devices made by other manufacturers. And without Flash support, iPad users will not be able to access the full range of web content, including over 70% of games and 75% of video on the web.

If I want to use the iPad to connect to Disney, Hulu, Miniclip, Farmville, ESPN, Kongregate, or JibJab -- not to mention the millions of other sites on the web -- I'll be out of luck.

personally i think it's because Flash can be a resource hog...same reason they haven't implemented multitasking.

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #144 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no.

from Adobe's own blog:

Apple just doesn't want to pay Adobe royalties, they're still pushing Quicktime

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #145 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple just doesn't want to pay Adobe royalties, they're still pushing Quicktime

HTML5 will be an elegant solution... in about 5 years. maybe.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #146 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that an actual screenshot?!

Yeah, that's the screen iPod, iPhone and soon iPad users will be seeing when they follow a link to install the missing flash plugin.

From what I've read it seems that Flash uses programming that is not compatible with the iPhone SDK which is the only code apple allows to be run on such devices.

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #148 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the big deal with Flash, anyway? I usually browse with Flash disabled. It mostly serves annoying ads. I see the lack of Flash on the iPhone as sort of a benefit.

You might notice the annoying ads, but many entire websites are built with Flash.

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #149 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not a big deal for you but a lot for other people.

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #150 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't you have to purchase many of those types of apps? Money may not be the only issue, but it's a notable one nonetheless.

For a smartphone/PMP, I can understand not having flash since it can slow down browsing, and real estate on those small screens is limited. But on a fairly powerful tablet with a 1024-by-768 res screen? It's at the very least questionable.

Orb is free, Rhapsody's app is free, but the service costs money, SiriusXM has a monthly fee, but the app is free. Last.fm, Pandora, Slacker, Radio Paradise, AOL Radio, iheartradio, Yahoo Music, etc... are all free.

I would like Flash for Hulu, but it is not a deal killer. The lack of multitasking is my main issue with it, but I am not sure I need it all that much, like I do on my iPhone (which I jb to get it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back