Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
May 2, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #332 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by ivan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bought these for my friend, im gonna be the first to try them out though!!

Make sure you clean them real good before handing it to him. Oh yeah, winding the earphones in the carrying case is a PITA. You need to apply enough tension or else the plug won't slide/fit into the case properly.

You'll know what I mean when you wind them up.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #334 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, winding the earphones in the carrying case is a PITA. You need to apply enough tension or else the plug won't slide/fit into the case properly.

You'll know what I mean when you wind them up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Really? I've personally found it pretty easy and quick...

May 2, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #335 of 779
There is a very easy solution for fitting in the plug. At first I was like "What Apple, this does not fit" because getting the lid on was difficult without smooshing the cord. Then I realized that you need to stick the plug up in the entrance to the earbud chamber. There is plenty of room, and I've found if I wind it at medium tension it ends right about there anyway, so that must be what Apple intended.

As for Sony hybrid tips, I just got mine today from Amazon. The actual package is tiny (about the size of an ipod nano) but it came in a large 12"x9" box.... don't know why. Anyway, I tried the red tips and they fit pretty awesome. The apple default tips would sometimes be okay in my right ear, but it seemed that every few minutes I would lose the seal and have to adjust. And while listening I would constantly feel it moving slightly as my ear canal pushes it out, and this is annoying. So far this has not been happening with the Sony tips, though, so I am very happy. I don't know about sound quality. I for one cannot hear a difference, and I kinda doubt such a similar tip could actually change the sound quality.

May 2, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #336 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by NsiderTalon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I've personally found it pretty easy and quick...

Same here, a LOT easier than Sleek Audio's wind-up case...

May 2, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #337 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by oregon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a very easy solution for fitting in the plug. At first I was like "What Apple, this does not fit" because getting the lid on was difficult without smooshing the cord. Then I realized that you need to stick the plug up in the entrance to the earbud chamber. There is plenty of room, and I've found if I wind it at medium tension it ends right about there anyway, so that must be what Apple intended.

As for Sony hybrid tips, I just got mine today from Amazon. The actual package is tiny (about the size of an ipod nano) but it came in a large 12"x9" box.... don't know why. Anyway, I tried the red tips and they fit pretty awesome. The apple default tips would sometimes be okay in my right ear, but it seemed that every few minutes I would lose the seal and have to adjust. And while listening I would constantly feel it moving slightly as my ear canal pushes it out, and this is annoying. So far this has not been happening with the Sony tips, though, so I am very happy. I don't know about sound quality. I for one cannot hear a difference, and I kinda doubt such a similar tip could actually change the sound quality.

Agree on SQ, basically the same. But comfort/ease of use better with Hybrids. I did stuff the original Apple tips with foam (one comply, one olive, cut down) and the foam under the silicone seems to help keep them in place. Of course, this is only a solution if you have some old Complys/olives sitting around, which I do. I am also going to see if it makes a different with the hybrids as well. As someone noted, the foam under the silicone does seem to bump up the bass a bit, in a good way.

May 2, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #338 of 779
I believe I saw a post that somone was using the olives with these. I just received ADDIEMs and would like to try the olives but don't see how they would fit. Anyone?

EDIT: I was able to stretch the inner restrainer and get them on. Now to see how they sound :)

May 3, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #339 of 779
Looks like the ADDIEMs are next up in my journey to find the right IEMs for my needs. Basically, I'm looking for IEMs with good SQ, a mic, and at a cost of no more than $80. They'll primarily be used with my PC/included sound card and my Touch 2G. I made a thread asking for some suggestions a couple of weeks ago and was nearly unanimously told to grab the NE-7Ms. Needless to say, I ordered some. And now, a few days later, I'm just not feeling them. So, I'm hoping some of you ADDIEM owners can answer my questions and maybe those of you who have experience with both the ADDIEMs and NE-7Ms can give me some even more valuable insight.

Before I get to my questions I think I should explain why the NE-7Ms failed to do it for me:

- Tips/Comfort. Maybe my ear canals are just too small, but the medium and large silicone tips that come standard with the NE-7Ms are just too big. This leaves me with 3 options. Small silicone tips, foam tips, or buy some other tips. I didn't really want to buy other tips as that would run me about $20 and the foam tips end up irritating my ears after about 10 minutes. So I'm left with only the small tips and unfortunately they're a little too small. Something in between the small and medium tips would be perfect for me. Perhaps because of the poor seal, the sound seems to be very "thin." I'm probably using that term wrong in terms of audiophile speak, but it feels as if I can almost punch through my music. A problem that isn't present when I use the foam tips. In the end, with these IEMs, I either have to deal with discomfort or poorer than normal sound.

- Minor Annoyances. The shirt clip should be removable and the mic/remote button is far too stiff.

- Vocals During Videos. This is the biggest failure of the NE-7Ms to my ears/needs. I'll be spending about 75% of my headphone time watching videos and thus I need something that works well with those. The NE-7Ms, however, seem to muffle vocals. It's almost as if every character is underwater/in an empty room that will lead to an echo like sound. Of course these are exaggerations, but I'm trying to give you an idea of how they sound to my ears. Whether it is due to the lack of seal (Doubtful as I can get a good seal with the foam tips and they still sound the same), or just the nature of these IEMs, all I can say is that I was heavily disappointed. Even my crappy EP-640s, while not sounding as quality, have more believable vocals during videos.

With all that said, you ADDIEM owners can already probably tell me if these will fit my needs, but here are the questions anyway:

- How do the ADDIEMs perform when handling videos? I'm not sure what characteristics a pair of 'phones need to have to handle videos well (Good mids?).

- How is everyone finding the fit in terms of the 'phones randomly popping out? I read a review that was posted in this thread and the review stated that the 'phones constantly popped out. Was this an issue with the reviewer and his ears or a universal issue?

- Is the bass, or lack thereof, really as bad as some say. I'm no bass head, but these complaints have me slightly worried. I will say this though, the crappy stock iBuds have virtually no bass compared to my PX100s or NE-7Ms, but I'm still fine with their bass. With that said, should I be fine with the ADDIEMs? I also have an E5 and maybe with its bass boost I could get to where I need to be in terms of bass?

- If the sound matches my needs then I may grab some of the Sony Hybrid replacement tips that some in here seem to be happy with. Just wanted to make sure that these are them right? EP-EX10A/BLK | Replacement Ear Cushions | Sony | Sony Style USA

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help!

May 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #340 of 779
OOh interesting..
Always thought apple more known for being an overpriced brand..
But how will those iems compare...
might wanna try but the potential for those to be a "failure" product...

yikes..

May 3, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #341 of 779
Re: bass?

I think they have decent bass. It's reasonably clean, tight and punchy. It does ok with sub bass... just as long as you don't have any high end IEMs to directly compare to, you'll be pleased with them I think.

It's when you start yanking them out and sticking in something like the TFPro or IE8 right away and then go back to the ADDIEMs.. then you'll hear zilch bass.

May 3, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #342 of 779
Hi all,
I've been using the new Apple IEM for a while now and I must say it's rather uncomfortable for me. Of all the 3-sized provided silicone sleeves, I can only use the largest ones. The medium tips are way too small and won't seal anything at all. The problem with the largest ones are that they tend to fall off and I have to re-insert them every 15 minutes or so.

It sounds terrific when I get good fitting. But this fall-off problem has become annoying. I wonder would there be any alternatives for silicone/foam tips that would fit ADDM? e.g. Can I use replacement silicone from Shure? Has anyone tried it? And if so which replacement silicone/foam do you find most comfortable?

I see some post above mentioned olives/hybrids sleeves. Where can I get these though?

if I can't get new perfect fit tips, I'd rather sell it and get ATH-ES7!!

Appreciate all the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back